BFP-110 Set Up Q

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP,

So for the first Polish force the set up reads "Set up on board BFP P within 4 hexes of a building and/or board DW-5."

This first bit is clear to me (hex radius of a building, not problem)...it is the second clause...is the intent to have them set up "and/or OF board DW-5" OR is it that the intent is this force can set up "and/or ON board DW-5"????

My hunch it is OF board DW-5. But I await your answer.

Thank you.

Andy

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sounds like it would need the word ON between or and board to be anywhere on board DW-5. I think your reading is correct.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I would be inclined to parse it thus wise:
"Set up on (board BFP P within 4 hexes of a building) and/or (board DW-5)."

So within the 4 hexes of a building on board BFP P (the undisputed part) AND/OR anywhere on board DW-5

If the intent was to restrict to within 4 hexes of a building on either board then I would expect something like:
"Set up on board BFP P and/or board DW-5, all within 4 hexes of a building."

English is such an ambiguous language, why can't people speak Basic, C or C++?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't think it was restricting to buildings elsewhere than P, but rather that that force was restricted to 4 hexes OF DW-5 while still ON P.

Also it should really say "of any building(s)" presently you could make the case the "a" and singular use of "building" means ONE structure. Though I do not* believe that is the intent.

Anyways, thanks for the second views. +1

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
As you demonstrated, add enough parentheses to English and it becomes fine. Of course, you can also add some German-like grammar rules and it almost becomes Lisp-like.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would be inclined to parse it thus wise:
"Set up on (board BFP P within 4 hexes of a building) and/or (board DW-5)."

So within the 4 hexes of a building on board BFP P (the undisputed part) AND/OR anywhere on board DW-5

If the intent was to restrict to within 4 hexes of a building on either board then I would expect something like:
"Set up on board BFP P and/or board DW-5, all within 4 hexes of a building."

But where would be the fun in that?

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BFP,

So for the first Polish force the set up reads "Set up on board BFP P within 4 hexes of a building and/or board DW-5."

This first bit is clear to me (hex radius of a building, not problem)...it is the second clause...is the intent to have them set up "and/or OF board DW-5" OR is it that the intent is this force can set up "and/or ON board DW-5"????

My hunch it is OF board DW-5. But I await your answer.

Thank you.

Andy
Hey Andy,
You are correct, it should be "Set up on board BFP P within 4 hexes of a building and/or on board DW-5." I'll get some errata pulled together for it.