BFP-104 Flying Turrets questions

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
SSRs 8 & 9 have, "Each aircraft is automatically Recalled two full player turns after it is recalled". Say the Russians receive two aircraft during the Russian turn 3 Rally Phase. These aircraft would be present during the Russian third player turn, during which they could only engage in Aerial Combat [E7.22] and also during the German fourth player turn, when they could perform normal ground attack/Aerial Combat. After this they would be recalled. Does that sound correct?

One of the German setup areas is "on board DW-2, north of the AT Ditch." The AT ditch is in both hexrows J and K of DW-2. Are the Germans restricted to on/north of hexrow L, which would be north of all AT ditch hexes? Or can they set up in hexrow K in places where the AT ditch is in hexrow J, e.g. K15? What about sections where there is no AT Ditch to the south, e.g. K3, K4, K12, K13, K20?

JR

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
1. The intent is for the possibility of each aircraft to conduct up to 2 ground attacks. I believe it should say game instead of player, but will have to look at it in more detail.

2. Could be L or J. Think of it is a road or something, the empty hexes represent the "gaps" in the AT Ditch.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
1. The intent is for the possibility of each aircraft to conduct up to 2 ground attacks. I believe it should say game instead of player, but will have to look at it in more detail.

2. Could be L or J. Think of it is a road or something, the empty hexes represent the "gaps" in the AT Ditch.
I'm not sure, but "game turn" may not do what you want either. If a Russian plane arrives on the bottom half of the third game turn, for it to spend two "full game turns" on board may mean it is available for five player turns, bottom third, top and bottom fourth (the first full game turn), then top and bottom fifth (the second full game turn). In contrast German planes would be available for four player turns. I'm assuming you mean something like, "at the end of its fourth CCPh".

The "road" idea seemed the most likely, but even when you extend the "road" in the shortest way to the board edges and through the gaps, there is still the ambiguity of whether the gap where the AT ditches change from "J" to "K" goes J11/J12, K12/K13, or even K12/J12.

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
SSR6: "All sIG 38(t) M and PzA II AFVs start the scenario with a circled B12."

D3.71 "A Gun with a B(#) malfunctions on an Original 12 To-Hit/IFT DR and suffers Low Ammo on any other Original To-Hit/IFT DR > the B(#)" (my emphasis). Since in the case of a circled B12 there are no other DR > the B(#), as written, the SSR would make the two vehicles equivalent to an ordinary Ordnance weapon, i.e. an Original 12 malfs the Gun and any other DR is a normal shot. Is this correct?

JR

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Answered in top thread of this folder.

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
SSRs 8 & 9 have, "Each aircraft is automatically Recalled two full player turns after it is recalled". Say the Russians receive two aircraft during the Russian turn 3 Rally Phase. These aircraft would be present during the Russian third player turn, during which they could only engage in Aerial Combat [E7.22] and also during the German fourth player turn, when they could perform normal ground attack/Aerial Combat. After this they would be recalled. Does that sound correct?

One of the German setup areas is "on board DW-2, north of the AT Ditch." The AT ditch is in both hexrows J and K of DW-2. Are the Germans restricted to on/north of hexrow L, which would be north of all AT ditch hexes? Or can they set up in hexrow K in places where the AT ditch is in hexrow J, e.g. K15? What about sections where there is no AT Ditch to the south, e.g. K3, K4, K12, K13, K20?

JR
A Russian aircraft arrives during the Russian turn 3 Rally Phase. When is it recalled?

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, and also if the answer is obvious.

Going to play this very soon. It looks incredibly fun.

Thanks in advance.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
A Russian aircraft arrives during the Russian turn 3 Rally Phase. When is it recalled?
As far as I can see there has been no erratum or clarification. The question is whether the intention is that the first turn received was a partial turn because it is not present at the start of the RPh, meaning that the aircraft arrive on Soviet 3 (part player turn), then spend German 4 (complete player turn) and Soviet 4 (complete player turn) on board, or whether the first turn received was considered a full player turn. Chas suggested that the rule was supposed to say "game turn", and again, is the first turn a partial game turn or a full game turn? If partial, the Soviet aircraft would be on board Game Turns three, four, and five. If it is considered full, the Soviet aircraft would be on board Game Turns three and four.

Because the Soviets move first, for game turns either answer would result in the Germans getting one less enemy MPh/DFPh on board than the Soviets.

Based on what Chas said, it sounds as if the aircraft are recalled after the second DFPh they spend on board, i.e. that the SSR should have used neither game turn nor player turn.

Note that my original post has an obvious typo and should say: "Each aircraft is automatically Recalled two full player turns after it is received."

JR

Last edited:

Jumbo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another question re Air Support: it is possible, theoretically, for each side to have four Aircraft on the map during the same turn, correct?
Thanks in advance.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Another question re Air Support: it is possible, theoretically, for each side to have four Aircraft on the map during the same turn, correct?
Yes. Each group rolls separately, so all four groups could conceivably roll to arrive on the same turn. Depending on the answer to the recall question, they might overlap in other ways too.

JR

Last edited:

rreinesch

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes. Each group rolls separately, so all four groups could conceivably roll to arrive on the same turn. Depending on the answer to the recall question, they might overlap in other ways too.

JR
The intent is for the aircraft to be able to conduct up to 2 ground attacks, so would be recalled after the second DFPh they spent on board,

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The intent is for the aircraft to be able to conduct up to 2 ground attacks, so would be recalled after the second DFPh they spent on board,
That should be put out as an erratum somewhere. The scenario says "player turns," and while it's odd, the SSR is playable that way.

JR