BF1942 vs AA vs FSWvs MOH?

jthomas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm looking for a FPS game for Xmas, my preference would lean toward Modern Era military. Does anybody have feedback on the relative merits of Battlefield 1942, MOH (there are modern warfare mods), America's Army, and Full-Spectrum Warrior?

I'm liking AA OK, for the price, it's hard to beat. The control interface is much like MOH, which I know, so that's a plus. But the lack of an easily discernable solitare play option, and the inability to save a game bothers me. Also, the range of scenarios/maps seems to be very limited. (are there any 3rd party maps around?) In addition, I really don't need much more of the Army's propaganda. I had enough of that when I was a young lad...
I noodled a bit with the FSW demo, and I find the user interface unusual and uncomfortable. Could not figure out how to issue commands,even. Got frustrated plodding thru the introduction.

MoH:AA also has a modern combat mod, but I have not been able to get it to work reliably. Vestiges of the WWII theme keep popping up- especially the inter-level breifing documents. It just feels odd.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
well, steer clear of FSW - it's not a FPS, it's not properly coded, and it's completely unsupported :(

if you like modern military stuff, and solitaire play - Operation: Flashpoint - GOTY edition with all the addons; heaps of mods, will run on nearly any computer, and the campaigns will last a while to keep you going solo-ly

I'd say VBS1 but you're a yank :D

gobeavs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
jthomas said:
I'm liking AA OK, for the price, it's hard to beat. The control interface is much like MOH, which I know, so that's a plus. But the lack of an easily discernable solitare play option, and the inability to save a game bothers me. Also, the range of scenarios/maps seems to be very limited. (are there any 3rd party maps around?) In addition, I really don't need much more of the Army's propaganda. I had enough of that when I was a young lad...
I noodled a bit with the FSW demo, and I find the user interface unusual and uncomfortable. Could not figure out how to issue commands,even. Got frustrated plodding thru the introduction.
Inability to save a game? Since there is no SP AA, what would you save? I think BF: 1942 is a wonderful game. It is a bit old, but there are a lot of mods out for it, so it is like getting 3 games in one :D.

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
spawn die spawn spawn die die

a cheap quick diversion would be Delta Force: Black Hawk Down - quite intense in parts and suited more for solo play than online :)

also quite Iraq like if's that's your thing.

jthomas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:
well, steer clear of FSW - it's not a FPS, it's not properly coded, and it's completely unsupported :(
if you like modern military stuff, and solitaire play - Operation: Flashpoint - GOTY edition with all the addons; heaps of mods, will run on nearly any computer, and the campaigns will last a while to keep you going solo-ly
OK, I'll bite what's VBS1? I can be an ingoramus when it comes to figuring out all the abbreviations here. :rolleyes:

I'll take you advice on FSW. It confirms what I was starting to think just from playing with the demo a bit. You just saved me $40! Muchas gracias.
As far as the solitare play (my wife still says I'm "playing with myself"! :laugh: ), I have been disapointed in online play with MOH and AA, as was noted in another thread- as soon as the turn begins everyone seems to just scatter, then it's every man for himself- no coordination, or anything. At least with bots, they tend to follow you to some extent, and in rare instances prove useful. I guess it depends on the effort put into the AI and/or scripting.

Last edited:

jthomas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well! I checked out your link, Ivan. VBS certainly seems to be the real deal. But personally, a tad more than I have time for, if you know what I mean! This seems to be right up CPangracs' field of expertise, though.

CTCORP Evidently, us yanks can get some of the system, but the prices would choke a horse. I don't know what exactly is in the USMC and Army/NG modules, but they are "restricted".

Description Price
VBS1 Core $150.00
Animal 1 Customization Module $50.00
Australian Defense Force 1 Customization Module $50.00
OPFOR Customization Module $50.00
Special Forces Customization Module $50.00
European Regions Customization Module $50.00
Severe Climates Customization Module $100.00
Observer Customization Module $50.00
U.S. Marine Corps Restricted Access Module
U.S. Army / National Guard Restricted Access Module
After Action Review (AAR) Restricted Access Module

jthomas

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
gobeavs said:
Inability to save a game? Since there is no SP AA, what would you save?
I dunno. It just seeams weird. Having kids, it's not unusal to have to just drop everything and go clean up some kind of mess. Being able to "freeze" the game and come back to it later is comforting. At this point, it's a moot question, as I usually do not survive long enough in AA to cause trouble! :dead:

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Delta force 1 & 2 are very cheap and great solo 1st person shooters if you can get over the graphics and in my opinion were better then black hawk down which felt much more like an outdoor maze.

I also second Operation Flashpoint. This is probably my favorite, out of all the modern military shooters this one has the most cohesive and comprehensive single player storylines. Very wide open spaces and you can attack most missions anyway you want to. A Great Game that offers much more then run and gun...although it is a shooter.

Third choice if you have a decent pc Ghost Recon is pretty good, but I like the other 2 better.

Last edited:

cumminspuller

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A couple of you have suggested Operation: Flashpoint. I read a review on the game from an individual on Amazon saying the sound and graphics are horrible. It does look like a 'winner' and would love to purchase it but if the sound and graphics are so bad it is not a joy to play then I will pass on it.

Thank you,

Jason

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While they aren't doom 3 they are quite good. Also the outside graphics lack a little but you have 4 huge full islands to explore. The game does not limit you to just one part of an island in the classic shooter maze. When you play a scenario you can roam the island at will. No artificial boundaries. It makes using your map and compass a must. This is the main reason why this game is so immersive. You can tackle most of the missions anyway you want to and you really have to use your equipment map, compass, etc to get around.

To me it is worth the sacrifice in graphics. The graphics are much better then delta force 1-3. But not up to par with with say DF Blackhawk Down. Again they get the job done and for the most part they are quite nice. Don reviewed the game on WarfareHQ. Check out what he had to say in the reviews section.

Full Monty

Reaction score
Country
ll
There are some mods that upgrade the graphics on OpFlash but I don't know of any for the sound (there may well be, I haven't exactly looked hard :D ). The gameplay is very good though.

For future reference I would invest in a copy of Half-Life 2 because there is a mod community out there from the original game who will be producing add-ons to suit anyone's taste. And they should be free!!!

cumminspuller

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thank you NORAD. That is what I was looking for. I had read the review while waiting for a reply here. I guess I will give it a shot. I am not much on the shoot em' up type FPS games.

Thanks again,

Jason

Last edited:

cumminspuller

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Full Monty, thanks for the comments. Where do you find the links/mods for the upgraded graphics and such?

Jason

Crash

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've played a bunch:

Fav is 'OFP'.
Next is 'Soldier of Fortune II Gold'.
Third would be 'Ghost Recon".
Fourth would be 'Rainbow Six 3'.

Full Monty

Reaction score
Country
ll
cumminspuller said:
Full Monty, thanks for the comments. Where do you find the links/mods for the upgraded graphics and such?

Jason
Bear in mind that I lifted this from another site but apparently you go here:-
ftp://www.gamezone.cz/ofpd/unofaddons2/dxdll10.zip

I just tried it though and got nothing, maybe the site was down, but apparently there are links on the official site for various mods.

Marines

Reaction score
OFP with all the expansions is by far one of the greatest generalized war games ever.

The variety of mods out there is simply staggering.

I would highly recommend picking up this title.

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ivan Rapkinov said:

Ivan,...you should see if you can get a copy of DARWARS AMBUSH! for OFP: GOTY! It's a "convoy operations" add-on by the Army, and it's currently in use over in Iraq! It has specialized terrains and units for the theatre. Let me know if you want the contact.

Curt