BF threads going downhill fast

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
It is painfully obvious that Emry's 20K plus posts, whereby he claims he is correct a half dozen times, is not enhanced by this rookie mistake.

The M10 'guys' (76.2mm) and the M18 Hellcat 'guys' (76mm), as well as the Sherman 76mm 'guys', can't exchange ammunition. The 3 inch (76.2mm) and 76mm weapons were unique in ammunition. The HVAP ammo, prized of course, could only be shared between the respective weapons. they were roughly produced in equally small numbers in the Fall of 1944/Spring 1945.

BF has just a bunch of 'barflys' that do not enhance the wargaming 'community'. They have slipped down the slippery slope along with the the other general decline in BF wargame quality.

Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Michael Emrys

Quote:

I've read in several places that Sherman 76 mm guys often worked a deal with M10 guys in order to get HVAP munitions in exchange for HE, which the M10 guys were using more of than had been anticipated. The Sherman guys often couldn't get HVAP at all through the usual supply channels, or only a tiny trickle.

Michael

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Another blaze of numbness is the 'discussion' of German over-lapping running gear on German AFV and halftracks. Unbelievably, no one has mentioned that the Germans gave up on the early Tiger I and Panther 'multi-overlapping'. Most teen-age model makers know this. The later Germam Tiger I, Panther and Tiger II shared a simpler version of over-lapping compared to the original Tiger I early version. So, basically, interleaving was even abandoned by the Germans anyway. Great discussion there at Bf rehashing stale 'info'.

Fleischer

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
The Battlefront forums have become increasingly moronic. I don't have the knowledge to discard any of the military-related stuff that is posted there, but it seems to me the more knowledgable people there are ignored or even flamed, while the morons are allowed to flourish as long as they make posts that support the accuracy of the game. The kind of atmosphere they have over there, with yes-men being constantly rewarded while criticism is punished, is sure to bring any company failure in the long run.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
The Battlefront forums have become increasingly moronic. I don't have the knowledge to discard any of the military-related stuff that is posted there, but it seems to me the more knowledgable people there are ignored or even flamed, while the morons are allowed to flourish as long as they make posts that support the accuracy of the game. The kind of atmosphere they have over there, with yes-men being constantly rewarded while criticism is punished, is sure to bring any company failure in the long run.
How about this gem...

Reusing existing maps is similar to games like Panzer Leader. You got a few boards with the game and could switch them around and get lots of different combos out of them. People are still playing those games 30+ years later. Except in this case CM players have huge numbers of unique maps to choose from and can then customize them as desired.

As ND pointed out, we already included more hours of content than most games do. And of course it only goes up from there. I don't think I've ever heard a CM customer, CMx1 or CMx2 alike, say that they ran out of things to play.

Steve

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah that's why Steve allows im/export of maps in his games.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Does this make sense????

It's close, but we still can't say when exactly it will be ready. As I said in my previous post, any significant issue that causes us to have to rebuild the installer means 2 days added to the schedule minimum. Having Microsoft Windows decided to do an update and reboot itself in the middle of a 5 hours into an upload doesn't help us out any either.

For sure we're going to release Gustav Line as a Module only to start out with. We haven't even started on that and it's twice the size as Gustav on its own. Which means about a day just to upload the beast for testing, not to mention anything else! No sense making everybody wait for that process to be completed.

I have to say this is the ONE drawback of having a "distributed workplace" (i.e. we're not all in one office building). As the old saying goes, what goes up must come down. So if it takes 6 hours to upload something it also takes 6 hours to download it. Now, if we were in one office it would be available for testing or working on within minutes. Thankfully this only is an issue a few times a year, because it really does suck

Steve

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
In all fairness, I should explain that the sherman 76mm only shared ammunition with the M18 Hellcat 76mm. The M10 3 inch gun would share ammo with the towed version 3 inch. I doubt that any M10 crew would give up its HVAP to a towed unit. It's possible that Sherman 76mm and M18 Hellcat might be on bartering terms. In any case, the production of HVAP was unique for both the 76mm and 3 inch weapons.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Does this make sense????
I always thought downloading was faster than uploading. Still, I'm not planning on getting Gustav line, I don't really see the point in it. They would have been better spending their time making an eastfront game.

As for the BF forum, the traffic on it is probably the lowest it's ever been and if it is an indication of the games popularity then BF isn't doing much business with the Italy game.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
I predict a very near and massive Steve melt-down diatribe. At least those make 'sense'...in that he clearly identifies the paranoia and accusations and enemies etc.

At this point...feeling burned on the 'Market Garden module' (aka 'The Possible Bridge-Too-Far-Pack')...I am just going back to 'demo-only' mode.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Their distribution system is a very serious problem for their business, IMHO, in many ways.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Anyone want to wager when the CMBN 1.0 gets it's next patch?

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does this make sense????
It looks like he is talking about three things in this post (assuming your question isn't rhetorical).

The first part he's talking about the delay with a installer build.

The second, seem to be talking about the bundle package and how it takes a little more time to assemble and that they won't hold up release of the module while completing that.

The last part looks like he is addressing what happens when you have one person in one location, creating the above, and another, in a separate location, who distributes it.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
The second, seem to be talking about the bundle package and how it takes a little more time to assemble and that they won't hold up release of the module while completing that.
Are you sure? Why do you say that? he mentions a 'bundle'?

For sure we're going to release Gustav Line as a Module only to start out with. We haven't even started on that and it's twice the size as Gustav on its own. Which means about a day just to upload the beast for testing, not to mention anything else! No sense making everybody wait for that process to be completed. Steve
How would anyone anyone know what he is going on about? Bundles need testing???

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you sure? Why do you say that? he mentions a 'bundle'?

For sure we're going to release Gustav Line as a Module only to start out with. We haven't even started on that and it's twice the size as Gustav on its own. Which means about a day just to upload the beast for testing, not to mention anything else! No sense making everybody wait for that process to be completed.
How would anyone anyone know what he is going on about? Bundles need testing???
Without a link to the thread I am basing it solely on your quote. So, I have no other context. I highlighted the bits that lead me to believe this. From that, the first highlighted bit seems to be talking about Gustav and implying something connected with Gustav (the "as a module only" part). Because everything that gets released has a run through to make sure it works (from the game itself to installation....no mystery or NDA breaking news there), I take the second highlighted part to mean the module, as an individual item, will be released before any bundle testing is complete.

Have you purchased any bundles yet? If so, think about how the installation process was completed.

NUTTERNAME

Reaction score
Country
llVietnam
Don't quite get it anyway. They took people's pre-order money upfront for a module. Why would they have to wait for a 'bundle'? They need to deliver on the pre-paid product.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't quite get it anyway. They took people's pre-order money upfront for a module. Why would they have to wait for a 'bundle'? They need to deliver on the pre-paid product.
The bundle isn't available for preorder. Steve is talking about delivering what has been paid for.