Beyond Valor v Journals

What product would you take to a deserted island if you could have only one.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
The final two. Please vote for which of these two MMP ASL products you think is the best.

Remember that we know you cannot compare two such different products but imagine you are going to a desert island and you can take only one product. You get the components required to play and, of course, an opponent.

The question is: do you take the Journals or Beyond Valor.

Listen here if you want to hear me and Dave making the case for the two:

Poll closes in two weeks, is open to everyone and will finally decide the greatest product of all time.

brunger

Reaction score
Country
ll
With beyond valour and the kit you can play scenarios with every “Friday “ you have on the desert island. You may even encourage Friday to play all week. After all you have memorised the rule book 📕 havnt you!! 🤔

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
With beyond valour and the kit you can play scenarios with every “Friday “ you have on the desert island. You may even encourage Friday to play all week. After all you have memorised the rule book 📕 havnt you!! 🤔
It does say in the original post that you have an opponent and all components required to play the product.

semenza

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It seems to me that this is a choice between playing ASL and having reading material.

Seth

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll
There are a lot of scenarios in the Journals. Remember you get LL components and an opponent

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
If I have to choose between the two - Journals. What's good BV for without a Rulebook.

But if not, I'd go with "Prinz Eugen" pack - the trees don't judge...

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
So if you choose Beyond Valor, you get the rulebook and Beyond Valor.

If you choose the Journals, you get the rulebook, Journals, and pretty much every core module as well... including Beyond Valor! :whistle:

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom

If you choose the Journals, you get the rulebook, Journals, and pretty much every core module as well... including Beyond Valor! :whistle:
But you don't get the scenarios from BV - 'just' the counters, maps, rules and dice!

applecatcher4

Reaction score
Country
ll

Also it isn't real! It is just a way to discuss the best MMP product.

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If I have to choose between the two - Journals. What's good BV for without a Rulebook.

But if not, I'd go with "Prinz Eugen" pack - the trees don't judge...
Prinz Eugen pack !! Bought it recently, haven't had a chance to play any scenarios yet...is it that good ??

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Much prefer the variety available in the Journals. Even a Journal with the same number of scenarios as BV3 would be more interesting to play through than all of Ostfront cards, not least given that I've played virtually every scenario in BV3 several times over.

A newb might see things differently. Nothing a few lashes wouldn't sort out.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Much prefer the variety available in the Journals. Even a Journal with the same number of scenarios as BV3 would be more interesting to play through than all of Ostfront cards, not least given that I've played virtually every scenario in BV3 several times over.

A newb might see things differently. Nothing a few lashes wouldn't sort out.
That is the reason that i took the Journal's as well. Nothing against BV.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Nearly 200 varied scenarios with the Journals...or 24 dreary eastern front Russian vs Germans scenarios? (eastern front is not my fav)

Tough choice. 😂
Pretty much what it comes down to. I ended up casting my vote after reading your post. I maybe like Eastern Front more than you (for me often depends on the armor/Guns involved), but I can name maybe 3 or 4 scenarios from BV I'd want to replay a lot (like on a desert island), if that. The number of good/great/classic scenarios in the Journals, without even considering articles, makes them an easy choice for me. I might even take Journal 3 all by itself over BV (but I like the early war stuff a lot and small to medium-sized scenarios, so that Journal was right up my alley).