Betio scenario?

BenPower

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Hello,

I'm much enjoying sandboxing with the WW2 units (typical scenario of the French Army/Resistance blowing a bridge on one side of the map, to prevent the Germans reinforcing a beach being invaded by Brits/US on the other side; with the additional paras here and there)…

Anyway I was wondering if somebody has a scenario setup for GCoyote’s Betio map (map 140)? I know there’s an overlay and links are included, but I just wanted to see if I could save a bit of type and go straight into the simulation.

Thanks,
Ben

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Ben,

Glad your enjoying TacOps. GCoyote and/or Dennis Huff would be the best to answer you on the Betio scenario question. Hope they get back to you soon.

Pete

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Try this

. . . Anyway I was wondering if somebody has a scenario setup for GCoyote’s Betio map (map 140)? I know there’s an overlay and links are included, but I just wanted to see if I could save a bit of type and go straight into the simulation.

Thanks,
Ben
Hi Ben,

I've attached the set up file that I used to test my Betio map to this post. Just delete the extra characters at the end of the file name and load it in two player mode.

Notes: USMC Units are about 95% correct. Since they don't have flamethrowers you might try adding bazookas to the mix to help in taking out Japanese postions. Bazookas were added to TacOps after I'd done my initial development. I also placed some 155mm howitzers on one of the small reefs to simulate direct fire by US destroyers. The initial assault regiments are about the right positions although I didn't take time to number all the units for the test.

The Japanese troops are about 85% correct. The IJN Special Naval Landing force units are pretty good but there were lots of non-standard engineer, air defense, and training units at Tarawa that I cannot accurately account for. There should be about another 1000 clerks, cooks, and miscellaneous charaters but they don't represent any combat power so I didn't try to cram them in.

I substituted the US .50 cal for the JA 13mm HMG. This is probably overkill but with no AI I figured the defenders could use all the help they could get. Also there isn't anything close to an 8" naval gun in the database. I used SU152mm ISU assault guns to simulate the firepower and extra protection but still make them kill-able by US WWII weapons. The defensive positions and most of the gun emplacements match the US Naval Intelligence sketch map.

Have fun and let me know if you spot any mistakes or areas for improvement.

BenPower

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Much appreciated, thanks!

RL in the way for a couple of weeks however but look forward to running it ASAP. So if you don't hear back for a while it's not because I don't like it!

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some of the Pacific WWII actions I think can be set up as a two player game and you just actively control the Blue side. Because of the defensive nature of the later battles you will still have a good game. Maybe even have another player set up the Japanese side for you for a little mystery.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's especially true of Betio . . .

Some of the Pacific WWII actions I think can be set up as a two player game and you just actively control the Blue side. Because of the defensive nature of the later battles you will still have a good game. Maybe even have another player set up the Japanese side for you for a little mystery.
This is one of the smallest rocks ever to host such a big engagement. There is very little maneuver space for either side.