Beta 15 and Multi-Part Units

MikeSinn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Beta 15 still seems to have problems with compressed multi-part units. I sent the email below to Scott this morning. I would be interested in hearing if others have the same issue.

Scott,
I have spent most of the weekend working with the new Beta 15 build.

In my experimentation, I still seem to have a problem with multi-part units. I always play with the "compress multi-part unit" checked, so as I understand it, I should never see more than one "marker" per unit. However, when I order a infantry unit to move, it immediately breaks into it's composite units. The infantry unit moves, while the heavier support units remain in the same hex.
I have tested this in multiple scenerios with the same result. I have attached a copy of a recent save game file that shows this problem. Take a look at the infantry unit in loc: 1795 and 1831. This should be a single unit.

Additionally, I have ordered the infantry unit in loc: 1827 to move. In the next two turns, it will also break into it's composite units when the infantry squad moves one hex to the north-east.

Please let me know if this is in-fact a bug or if I have misunderstood the rules or display.

Thanks,
Mike

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Mike,

I reported the same problem to Scott a couple of weeks ago. At the time I was using build 10. This was Scotts reply

"It turns out this was caused by a bug in the FOW routines, which in turn was due to a modification in the way we handled times introduced somewhere in one of the last few beta releases. So the “last known” info for the units was different even though they were together (the passengers weren’t being updated with the carrier by the FOW routine since it erroneously thought they had already been updated).

Once we fixed the time glitch, though, everything seemed to stabilize.

On a related note, we now no longer show passenger unit symbols on the map - only carriers and dismounted units. "

I had not noticed it in build 15, but I will take another look now.

cheers

Gary

MikeSinn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gary,

Thanks for the quick reply. Let me know what you find with Build 15. Also take a look at the save game file attached to my original post. It should show the problem pretty clearly. Unless, of course, I am loosing my mind :confused:

Thanks
Mike

Old&Slow

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Never Seen It Work

FWIW, and in regard to Scott`s response, I have played each released Beta with " Seahorse" and have _never_ seen a time when the all the Inf. units moved together, no matter what was checked in the "multiparts" box at Game start. (unless I too am misunderstanding the way to use the interface )

I assumed this would be fixed when Scott got around to the major overhaul of the Infantry display and AI routines that was discussed in another thread

Gary

Reaction score
Country
ll
Yup its still there. I had not noticed as I have been using the mutil unit option.

Gary

MikeSinn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MikeSinn said:
Beta 15 still seems to have problems with compressed multi-part units. I sent the email below to Scott this morning. I would be interested in hearing if others have the same issue.

Scott,
I have spent most of the weekend working with the new Beta 15 build.

In my experimentation, I still seem to have a problem with multi-part units. I always play with the "compress multi-part unit" checked, so as I understand it, I should never see more than one "marker" per unit. However, when I order a infantry unit to move, it immediately breaks into it's composite units. The infantry unit moves, while the heavier support units remain in the same hex.
I have tested this in multiple scenerios with the same result. I have attached a copy of a recent save game file that shows this problem. Take a look at the infantry unit in loc: 1795 and 1831. This should be a single unit.

Additionally, I have ordered the infantry unit in loc: 1827 to move. In the next two turns, it will also break into it's composite units when the infantry squad moves one hex to the north-east.

Please let me know if this is in-fact a bug or if I have misunderstood the rules or display.

Thanks,
Mike
I just received the following response from Scott regarding my questions above. It actually makes sense now. I can't say that I particularly like it, but at least it makes sense. The changes he identifies for version 2.02 sound to be more in line with what I was looking for. Until that comes out, I will have to get use to playing without the compress option turned on.

Anyway, on to Scotts email...

Hi Mike,

Yes, thanks for the file, and I see what you are talking about.

It isn't a "bug" exactly - I think things are appearing as they should,
although it is sorta confusing. That's because currently the
"multi-part" units function applies strictly to the display functions, and only for
component parts in the *same* location. It does not act to keep the
parts together, and each unit does things uniquely. So, the units in a
multi-part will often split up upon moving - either from having slightly different
movement paths, or because the units are moving at different speeds.
Which leads to the kinds of displays in your situation.

With the new muti-part functions I plan to put in version 2.02, the
system will have options to conform to what you expect. Multi-part units can be set to always move together, fire together, and always occupy the same
location on the map.

I'm not sure when 2.02 will be out, but I think 2.01 is almost done - so we
should be starting on it soon.

Thanks again!
-Scott