Best & Worst Second World War Movies ever made?

Patrocles

Reaction score
mr_clark said:
My favourite WW2 movie is a German one called "Die Brücke" ("The Bridge")...
I haven't seen this film but it is highly regarded by everyone! I gotta get around to seeing it!

DevilDawg

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BEST : Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
To Hell and Back

Worst : Windtalkers :kotz:

Very good if you roll it into a very long movie : Tour of Duty

Patrocles

Reaction score
PvtJohnson said:
A good movie I watched in history class was "All quiet on the Western Front" It's a WW1 movie and I thought it was pretty good and there was alot of action.
yes, a powerful movie. Also worth watching is Stanley Kubrick's "Paths of Glory."

Reaction score
The Doctor said:
For the worst WWII movie, I hate to do this, but I have to pick a John Wayne movie. "In Harm's Way" is historically awful; although somewhat enjoyable, in a trashy way.
I always kind of liked "In Harm's Way". Admittedly it lacks any semblance of historical accuracy. I always wondered why they used faked names for Nimitz, Halsey, etc. and even changed the names of the islands in the Pacific. I particularly liked some of the supporting characters, especially the Aussie coast watcher. The scene where Kirk Douglas's character slaps around the publicity officer is classic. Plus, Patricia Neal is always great. Maybe the fact that the first time I saw it was as a kid at the drive-in has stuck with me.........

B5C

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Im surpised that only one person listed Stalag 17. Stalag 17 is one of my favorite movies.

Nothing beats the duo of Stanislas 'Animal' Kasava and Harry 'Sugar Lips' Shapiro. :D

mr_clark

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
PvtJohnson said:
A good movie I watched in history class was "All quiet on the Western Front" It's a WW1 movie and I thought it was pretty good and there was alot of action.
The book is much better then the film...

SGT Long

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I know of one war film that ranks as the all time worse. So bad,that I discourage anyone from renting it or staying up past 9 to see it on showtime.

"Dead men dont dance"

If the asinine title didnt throw you off,Imagine,if you will,A film that rips off "G.I. Jane" in having a Female U.S. Army officer selected to be the first Army Ranger. (Did I mention that the school is in South Korea? well,according to the script it is.) The "rangers" run around in black berets with ranger tabs sewn on and apon graduation,our hero gets to go on a black op behind DRNK lines. Imagine my surprise on seeing the North Koreans driving jeeps,flying hueys and apparently their officers are fond of Colt 1911A1's. If you decide to see this sorry waste of celouse if only to put the poor DVD that holds the film out of it's misery,When you do a search,the only actor of note in it was the guy off the the Highlander TV series. "Duncan MacLeod" (sans pony tail-guess it clashed with his Ranger Beret. :nuts:

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lance Williams said:
I always kind of liked "In Harm's Way". Admittedly it lacks any semblance of historical accuracy. I always wondered why they used faked names for Nimitz, Halsey, etc. and even changed the names of the islands in the Pacific. I particularly liked some of the supporting characters, especially the Aussie coast watcher. The scene where Kirk Douglas's character slaps around the publicity officer is classic. Plus, Patricia Neal is always great. Maybe the fact that the first time I saw it was as a kid at the drive-in has stuck with me.........
I have similar "fond" memories of this movie too! As I said, it is a historially wrong soap opera. Don't forget Burgess Meredith's charater "Egan". An awful movie that I will watch any time it's on TV! The daytime surface battle at the end was so historically wrong as to be comical; yet it captured the horror of some of those night engagements in the Solomans.

Napoleonic Fury

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Band of Brothers is the best and the worst is the Battle of the Bulge. Henry Fonda was agreat actor but the Bulge was just terrible. It is so fake. Patton is also excellent cause he is just one tough S.O.B. What about Ike? That was terrible. Magnum P.I. just doesn't cut it as the allied Supreme Commander.

Last edited:

eyemo

ACG Staff Photographer
Reaction score
Country
ll
I was very fortunate to have worked on Band of Brothers. It's strength is in it's quality script (which was re-worked on almost a daily basis).
It also allows time for the caricatures to develope into real people.

My favourite episode by far was 6, the Medic's story.

Seimon Pugh-Jones.
Photographer ACG.

eyemo

ACG Staff Photographer
Reaction score
Country
ll
mr_clark said:
My favourite WW2 movie is a German one called "Die Brücke" ("The Bridge")...
Would that be available on DvD?