Best way to handle second license?

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I should probably post this at their forums, but what the heck.

Assuming you want to add a second license for more characters, but you also want to be free to actually play it at the same time:

can you go the normal route of adding a second license key to your account. I think not because you log in with your account, which now holds 14 characters and you probably can't be logged in twice. I assume, or are they smart enough to allow two logins if you have two keys on there?

And what is the cheapest way to get a base license and the Mirkwood upgrade? Microcenter has Moria for $10, but how much would I have to pay for the upgrade to Mirkwood? A straight online/download license with Mirkwood is $30.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure on some of the Mirkwood stuff.

My second license / account was one my son had bought and gave to me when he quit (never could get into MMO's, a sports-game player) no use letting it go to waste! It's under his name & I just changed the password for security, made a few more alts & a Kinship for me.

It doesn't matter who pays the bill or the address. You can buy a second game = second account and put it in your middle name as far as that goes. I just go the simplest & easiest route. BTW- having everything under 1 last name / 1 address works best as Turbine is more willing to work with you on issues if you have trouble or want to switch accounts etc.

At times we have all 3 PC's (separate accounts) running: mine, the wife's, and "the sons" (good thing he's still too young to move out!) when we do the crafting square-dance "I need this, you need that, we both need that, so we can get that from you for her so I can make..." :nuts:

FYI- I'm only popped in now because I'm (wait for it) crafting a bunch of ore! :laugh: :laugh:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So the answer is that they are actually smart enough to allow two simultaneous sessions in one account when you have two licenses on that account.

The thing missing is that you still have 7 characters fixed to each account, you cannot move them between accounts. That means you cannot sign up twice for a couple months, build 14 characters and then later pick 7 that go onto an active account while you cancel the other.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So the answer is that they are actually smart enough to allow two simultaneous sessions in one account when you have two licenses on that account....That means you cannot sign up twice for a couple months, build 14 characters and then later pick 7 that go onto an active account while you cancel the other.

Here's the link on the second account question:
http://www.lotro.com/component/content/article/362-second-account

Can I transfer a character from one account to another?

It is not possible to transfer any character from one account to another. This is a service which we hope to offer in the future.
This being the case, it is not possible to merge or combine accounts.
It is possible to transfer characters from one server to another in LOTRO!
http://www.lotro.com/component/content/article/350-account-faq

Hope that helps. :)

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Exactly.

I think from a business model that might not be the smartest thing to do.

I realize that locking those characters into several accounts will be an incentive not to cancel the second account.

But a person in my position is now much less likely to get a second account in the first place. And who knows if I get one know when I bother to actually cancel it even if right now I think I'll cancel in 2 months.

Instead, the incentive right now for me is to delete existing characters instead of buying a second account.