Best scenario vs PO

obergurgl

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Is there a general consensus about which scenario (or scenarios) is/are the most rewarding for games against a PO?

Menschenfresser

The Amazing Rando
Reaction score
The consensus is that the PO is a waste of time, but, as we all know, getting a turn back from your opponent when you want it doesn't always happen.

Stauffenberg's Operation Mars was made for the Soviet PO, I think. I've played a few turns of it, but can't say it's any good. There are others like this, I just can't think of any at the moment. Generally, the PO is best with lots of units on the attack. When I say 'best' I use it in a very relative way.

While I haven't tried it, I believe it would be possible to help the PO by playing the first half of each turn and then turning the game over to the PO. You could arrange the units, move them up, and set up the first series of attacks, then switch the game over to the PO. But that might not work since the PO runs on tracks moving certain units toward certain objectives. Dunno....

My suggestion is just to get used to playing against yourself those times when PBEM isn't in your inbox.

obergurgl

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
<My suggestion is just to get used to playing against yourself those times when PBEM isn't in your inbox.>

OK- which when you have a memory as bad as mine isn't too different from playing against someone else , especially on the larger scenarios...

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
obergurgl said:
Is there a general consensus about which scenario (or scenarios) is/are the most rewarding for games against a PO?
forgive me, mabybe it's because i'm in Finland (Although I speak English perfectly, I cant write perfectly, and all the 'shortcuts' like PO (what does this mean exactly)???

If you mean playing both sides, well be my guest, I would choose a juicy game and play the computer for practice, and force a friend for some good hotseat time (that is how i have enjoyed four years of TOAW, the hotseat, I'm only now getting into pbm, thanks to acg)!

Yes, for practice, why not take a game like crusader for a quick one, playing either side, or krete playing the germans (remember not to 'cheat' but mirrour the actual landings of the Fallschirmjäger). And you will have good gaming.

As for a juicy 'long' game against the computer, try allies in italy 1943 (the 'regurlar' scenario on the toaw disc, not a designed one that I have heard exists).

And ofcourse the 200 turn, OVERLORD playing the allies, and mirrouring faithfully the landing spots of every allied unit, will give you a good experience.

But if this PO, is something I have not understood, forgive me for giving silly advice, and please enlighten me.
yours TOAWLY, mr poundr.

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
JeremyScott said:
PO also can mean AI which is artificial Inteligence, Or in some games of today, the lack thereof
LOL, indeed AI can vary very much, in the combat mission 2 game it's good, very good, and in the toaw scenarios it's only as good as the programmer who made it do pre-ordained things.

Still as a learner the AI is irreplacable.

It can never beat fighting another human (yet, shrill...), but is a useful thing, and can be fun if it's descently done.
I myself have enjoyed the OVERLORD campaign fully against the AI, just one has to play the first couple of round exactly like the allies did in june 44, if you cheat you beat the ai easily, it's all about the 12 ss and co coming and if you cheat your way into Caen, the point of the whole game is gone.
Also, I seem to remember that Crusader's axis ai, is pretty good. Beatable, but then again, the Brits did kind of win the battle anyway.
mr poundr.