Best Scenario in Kampfgruppe Scherer

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

Thinking about setting up KGS 5 Red Army Day but wanted to ask, Which do you guys think is the best scenario in KGS? Of course I also made a small cheat notes on Red Army day to make sure I was correct on the Rules. Granted there is some chrome but after really reading the KGS rules, I regret to say that I was wrong about this being way too chrome heavy. It is not bad at all infact. Heck, I really am looking forward to giving both the scenarios and the CG's a go soon. So with that said, any good scenarios you guys really liked in this very nice product?

Scottkgs copies 007.JPG

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Granted there is some chrome but after really reading the KGS rules, I regret to say that I was wrong about this being way too chrome heavy. It is not bad at all infact.
You are a good man Scott. Good for you. Enjoy!

ADD: Pardon me .. I played KGS9 Lost in a Day and KGS10 Red Ruin Roulette, I like both but would rank KGS9 a little higher.

Last edited:

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lost in a day and Regained in a day are the best scenarios in the pack IMHO.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...Granted there is some chrome but after really reading the KGS rules, I regret to say that I was wrong about this being way too chrome heavy. It is not bad at all infact. Heck, I really am looking forward to giving both the scenarios and the CG's a go soon. ....
Scott
Somebody dispatch 911 to my house! I am having hallucinations and can't read correctly anymore.
Wait maybe aliens, yes aliens have invaded Holst's body... that's it, I am not hallucinating at all <phew>, no now I am only delusional!
Help me, help me!

<Break>

Thank you Scott for finally seeing "it is not bad at all in fact." Hope you enjoy your new found reason and some of the scenarios.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
KGS 2 Their Fate is Sealed? looks pretty gnarly, the Russians are coming in on all sides and do have the option to Human Wave. I do like The Block Bombardment rules, not bad at all but to be clear and looking at the map, so for example a Bombardment hits Block 21, all hexes within the blue boarder are hit by that bombardment including adjacent hexes outside the blue boarder right?

Another scenario I really want to try From KGS 4 Matilda with Love, gotta get playing with those lend lease Matilda's. The SSR's on this one are not too bad, I like the extra chrome for the Russian Armor Leader also.

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like Reclamation the best - during playlets I lost equally as both sides. It offers a rare German attack and lots of variety in attack and defense.

mi80j

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

Thinking about setting up KGS 5 Red Army Day but wanted to ask, Which do you guys think is the best scenario in KGS? Of course I also made a small cheat notes on Red Army day to make sure I was correct on the Rules. Granted there is some chrome but after really reading the KGS rules, I regret to say that I was wrong about this being way too chrome heavy. It is not bad at all infact. Heck, I really am looking forward to giving both the scenarios and the CG's a go soon. So with that said, any good scenarios you guys really liked in this very nice product?

ScottView attachment 5692
Great news - I look forward to reading your experience with KGS.
Good job!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I'll set up Red Army Day for my ftf game saturday afternoon. That one looks like a must play one. Matilda with Love looks like another must play scenario, Their Fate is Sealed? looks like one we will have to work through for a couple of weekends but one that I want to try. Red Ruin Roulette , lost in a Day, May day east and west as well as regained in a Day all look like more must play scenarios. The others I have not named are either too small or the playing area is way to small to my liking. Did order the Gamers Guide for KGS so more scenarios to possibly put on the table lol. Red Barricades is fun but sometimes you need to take a break from it to play other interesting stuff. We thought about playing hatten but we both felt the map was just too generic for out eclectic tastes plus the amount of armor in the Hatten CG is very heavy and would make for a very time intensive playing of that CG.

Anyway, why I railed against KGS is regrettable, and I am glad I am finally giving it a go granted there is some heavy chrome with the CG's but I think I can noodle through it without too much frustration

Scott.

goatleaf1

Reaction score
Country
ll
KGS 2 Their Fate Is Sealed is superb. Very well balanced and tense. Of course knocking down Russian human waves is fun. Lots of CC.

The chrome in KGS looks a lot but its actually not too bad - just jot down the relevant ones as a reminder, the list won't be long.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I am not sure I can handle the new Scott as a part of our reality.
Scott has his phases good and bad, like all of us, but just somewhat more apparent or visible than most people. You want the old Scott back? You will get that, patience young padwan. Then you will want the "new" Scott back and sure enough, you again will get your wish. Learn to appreciate and live with the variety.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am not sure I can handle the new Scott as a part of our reality.
Yes but it does show the wonderful effects KGS can have on people. KGS is good for one's soul.
He was like the Grinch and now, with KGS in hand and read, he is whistling happy tunes in the center of Cholm. Couldn't have a happier ending...okay we don't have Max to appear with wagging tail and the rule book in his mouth.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Scott has his phases good and bad, like all of us, but just somewhat more apparent or visible than most people. You want the old Scott back? You will get that, patience young padwan. Then you will want the "new" Scott back and sure enough, you again will get your wish. Learn to appreciate and live with the variety.
I love variety.

I also love stability.

What a conundrum.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And we should be playing your scenarios only pete? There is such a glut of standard scenario packs with the usual one or two board designs and clocking in at 4 or 5 turns in this hobby that you feel your buying the same pack over and over again. Nothing unique, just the same thing over and over again. KGS is unique in both scenarios and presentation, from small scenarios to monster ones really adds variety to this product and makes plowing through Andy's chrome laden module worth while. Out of the 15 scenarios in KGS only 4 are under 5 turns, this is great IMHO. I hate playing scenarios that are 5 turns or less, it does not feel like ASL but a dice game where who ever rolls better wins.

I love variety.

I also love stability.

What a conundrum.

Last edited:

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
'Their Fate is Sealed' in my opinion is top of my list. Especially after reading 'Besieged' by Jason Mark. It truly gives both players a feeling of the actual events that took place, with the germans desperate to hold ground with meagre forces to hold the whole map and not let the Russians into the town. Russians on the other hand desperate to get a toe hold and exploit gaps/weaknesses in german defence.

The map is beautiful although my only criticism is that it is brittle. Sturdier paper/card should be used and I wouldn't of minded paying a few extra £ for that.