Best Scenario in Kampfgruppe Scherer

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree that the map is fragile, so what I have done is when I play a scenario, [EXC: I'll use the original map for CG's and Their Fat is Sealed?] is I'll print out that section for that scenario I plan to play. The VASL version of the map is not very good but it is playable. Below are pics of the Red Army map section I pieced together using the VASL map version. Not great but it works.red army day 001.JPGred army day 002.JPGred army day 003.JPG

'Their Fate is Sealed' in my opinion is top of my list. Especially after reading 'Besieged' by Jason Mark. It truly gives both players a feeling of the actual events that took place, with the germans desperate to hold ground with meagre forces to hold the whole map and not let the Russians into the town. Russians on the other hand desperate to get a toe hold and exploit gaps/weaknesses in german defence.

The map is beautiful although my only criticism is that it is brittle. Sturdier paper/card should be used and I wouldn't of minded paying a few extra £ for that.

Shamus2d6

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Not played them all but so far Reclamation KGS3 is my favourite. Seems well balanced. When played my Stukas were great value as a threat and the artillery did not arrive at all, I was about 1 turn behind with my big push; so learning to go sooner and accepting greater casualties. The scenario has good replay value and actually would make a brilliant solitaire game using solitaire rules tweaked on the lines of what Andy has done with Matilda with Love.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I agree that the map is fragile, so what I have done is when I play a scenario, [EXC: I'll use the original map for CG's and Their Fat is Sealed?] is I'll print out that section for that scenario I plan to play. The VASL version of the map is not very good but it is playable. Below are pics of the Red Army map section I pieced together using the VASL map version. Not great but it works.View attachment 5727View attachment 5728View attachment 5729
Looks good! I managed to take my map into work and copy it and do another at +20% and laminate it. Works for me!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ya, it helps when your wading into the more esoteric part of the rules to have a cheat sheet . Also looking forward to the Gamers guide, ordered that from ritterkrieg earlier this week. More scenarios to scan lol. Early war east front has always been a hoot to play and the scenarios in this pack all have interesting OB's IE some CG's have the same OB's but on different parts of the map. The campaign game does look very interesting but boy there is some serious chrome attached to them. Still both CG's do look like it is worth the effort to learn.

Cool how you added the bold red reminder list items to your print out. Nice +1.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You cannot do this battle any* justice without addressing the X factors. If you wanna call it esoteric/chrome that is fine. Without X, you are playing just geo on a HASL type map. This not* the same thing as playing a HASL H-series scenario. In any case, I have heard it that one "Well-Known Member" here noted upon a moment of self-reflection.

"I regret to say that I was wrong about this being way too chrome heavy."

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well your post is kinda weird but I get what your saying dude, gotta have a little chrome to spice up the game. Can you also give a run down of the scenarios in your gamers guide?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can you also give a run down of the scenarios in your gamers guide?
Yes.

1) KGS16 Policing Fire With Fire: German (Police) vs Russian Partisans (Night) 7 Turns...Large partisan force (attacker) vs large police force.
2) KGS1 Schwartzer Friday: 7 Germans vs Red Army Feb. 13. Day. 7 Turns SW corner of the map, Russian AFV (3) and mixed inf (attacker). vs. KGS mixed inf. ATG, DC, AT Mines.
3) KGS18 Into the Heart of Cholm: Germans vs Red Army 12 April. Day 6 Turns NW corner of the map, Russian mixed inf, with 2x AFV (attacker) vs. KGS with ATG, DC some Fortifications
4) KGS 19 Back By Night, Germans vs Red Army, 13 April, Night (Lite) 3.5 Turns NW corner of map, all inf action all sides. German attacker
5) KGS 20 Behle's Tally Germans vs. Red Army, 1 May, Day 5 Turns, west side. 6x AFV Russian and inf vs. KGS ATG (special) and inf DC/ATR Fort. Russian attack
6) KGS 21 Foiled For Flanking Fire, Germans vs Red Army, 9 May (POST SIEGE, not KGS rules in play exc the MMG-HMG rule), 6 Turns Day, large German combined arms vs. Inf and fort. German attack.
7) KGS 22 Successful Second Time Around, Germans vs Red Army, 18 May (POST SIEGE as above...), 7.5 Turns. large combined arms both sides (+ Stukas).
8) KGS 23 Coming Down the Pike, German vs Red Army, 19 May (POST SIEGE as above), 2x 4 Turn Phased game.

1x Non KGS scenario but set on KGS map depicting Korsun Pocket battle SS vs Russians (not my design). Combined arms both sides, Russian attack

1x KGS SASL Mission

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Howdy-

here is my set up for Red Army Day, I set up four HS with MMG's/ HMG's at the top of the Map with my guns at the bottom of the map (this is where the Russian Armor is entering there abouts) In the middle I have units to both defend and possibly counter attack to maybe take a few blocks but with my force spread thin, I really do not see that happening. The Russian need to hold the initial three blocks they do have and take seven more from the Germans, which I think will be very doable for the Russians. I put my radio man in NN47 which covers a nice portion of the blue entry area to hit his guys with arty. (the Russians will not be getting far due to deep snow) here are some pics of the set up.

Scottkgs set up 002.JPGkgs set up 001.JPGkgs set up 003.JPGkgs set up 004.JPGkgs set up 005.JPG

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
my buddy and I did play Red Army Day, but we only managed to get three turns in because he felt he did not grok the set up and entry conditions correctly plus we were playing to learn the rules more or less anyway. We did have fun pushing are card board warriors around and Red Army Day has a very high replay value. Once our RB CG is done, we both plan to dedicate more time to this module.

Scott

Last edited:

aneil1234

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The map is beautiful although my only criticism is that it is brittle. Sturdier paper/card should be used and I wouldn't of minded paying a few extra £ for that.

RRschutze wrote the above

My answer is this is why there are Laminating machines :-:D
:rolleyes:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There is the other option of taking the VASL files to a printer and having them printout the maps as well as printing and stitching together the map sections needed for scenarios.

Scott

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
howdy-

going to give Regained in a Day a go monday morning vs Randy Shurtz, he is coming by my place to play this one, he is in chicago for somekind of company seminar for the next few dats but has monday free to play which is really kool. I wanted to give Red Army day a try but we plan to play it over VASL next week, so we decided on Regained in a day. Boy was it a pain to print out the map and put together lol. regained in a day 001.JPG

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom

As you will note in another of my posts, I have laminated a copy. However, the issue is that you are paying c£100 for a module and should not expect to laminate/copy the map yourself. There a number of chaps out there who do not have easy access to photocopiers/printer. By the way i'm not having a pop at LFT. Objective Schmidt is another map that suffers this fate. It's a shame really, that these companies take all the time and effort to research material/playtest and then release the game with a map on tissue paper. I'm sure the majority of ASLers would pay a few extra quid/dollars for the module with a sturdier map!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For those you who like this module, I did post an AAR in the AAR section. I Did comb the AAR section looking for any reports on the KGS CG's and came up empty handed. I am really surprised that a well selling module like this has very few AAR's of its scenarios and no reports of any KGS CG's. If there AAR's of the scenarios or CG's please direct me to where they might be lol.