Best movie in the WW1 time period.

Reaction score
Napoleon said:
I haven't seen it or been able to find it in my local video store. I beleive it has been discussed here though.
Its been shown on both A&E and more recently the History Channel. Some of the battle scenes are surprisingly violent, ala "Saving Private Ryan".

Last edited:

The Doctor

Junk Science Debunker
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"The Lost Battalion" was pretty well done. That just made me think of an old Victor McGlaglen movie called "The Lost Patrol", I think. If memory serves me it also starred Boris Karloff. It was about a British patrol in Messopotamia.

Reaction score
The Mexican Revolution was going on at the same time as WW I. There are a couple of movies set in this era that are pretty good.

The recent HBO "Pancho Villa, Starring as Himself" was a pleasant surprise. "Old Gringo" about Ambrose Bierce's possible last days south of the border was OK......Hanoi Jane should have stayed retired. A personal favorite is "The Professionals" with Lee Marvin, Burt Lancaster, Robert Ryan and Woody Strode trying to rescue Claudia Cardinale from (supposed) kidnapper Jack Palance. Plus John Wayne's "Big Jake" is set in 1909, about another south of the border kidnapping rescue.

Napoleon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hmmm, not sure. I beleive we have a thead lying around here somewhere. But, this should be a new thread topic. To make a new thread hit the new post button when you first enter the WW1 Forum.

HiredGoon

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Several people here voted for "Paths of Glory." I've never seen it because I've always heard that its a boring court room drama with hardly any combat. Is this true? How much combat is depicted in the film?

Napoleon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
We've discussed the Light Horseman I beleive. But we haven't talked about the other two. What are your thoughts on them?

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Napoleon said:
We've discussed the Light Horseman I beleive. But we haven't talked about the other two. What are your thoughts on them?
We also talked about Breaker Morant; which is a great movie. I think. (Or am I thinking about Galliopoli?) But Breaker Morant does ask a lot of questions about British 'justice' for the three on the veldt at the drawing down of the war. I found it to be a well produced movie and worth owning on DVD.

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
HiredGoon said:
Several people here voted for "Paths of Glory." I've never seen it because I've always heard that its a boring court room drama with hardly any combat. Is this true? How much combat is depicted in the film?
Some. There is a lot of court room drama, but it is a great movie anyways. IIRC, I think a lot of the combat was in flashbacks.

Reaction score
RichardS said:
We also talked about Breaker Morant; which is a great movie. I think. (Or am I thinking about Galliopoli?) But Breaker Morant does ask a lot of questions about British 'justice' for the three on the veldt at the drawing down of the war. I found it to be a well produced movie and worth owning on DVD.
"Breaker Morant" is indeed a great movie, it too has its courtroom segments, but has a good bit of action (mostly shown in flashbacks) interspirced. It is one of the few movies to deal with the 1899-1902 Anglo-Boer War. It also accurately shows the now questionable treatment of England's commonwealth troops that also crops up in the other movies previously mentioned (ie, "Gallipoli" and " The Light Horsemen"). This should be no surprise since it was based on a book about the events depicted titled, Scapegoats of the Empire.

Reaction score
HiredGoon said:
"Paths of Glory" keeps coming up on many peoples list of favorites, I have yet to see it. With such strong recommendations, I think I'm going to have to track this one down.

JD Morelock

ACG Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WWI-Era Movies in 'Editor's Top 10 Films'

FYI: In Armchair General Issue 6 (Jan 2005) issue, the Dispatches column will feature the ACG Editor's picks for the 'Top 10 War Films'. Two of the films being discussed in this thread are in the 'Top 10' and one is an honorable mention.

Also, I note that Turner Classic Movies (TCM) cable TV channel is featuring a Thursday evening segment all this month entitled "Politics and the Movies". One of the politicians is Sen. John McCain, and 'his' movie is "Paths of Glory". I believe this segment is scheduled to be shown tomorrow night (Thursday, October 14) on TCM (OK, Lance, here's your chance to finally see it!).

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
JD Morelock said:
Also, I note that Turner Classic Movies (TCM) cable TV channel is featuring a Thursday evening segment all this month entitled "Politics and the Movies". One of the politicians is Sen. John McCain, and 'his' movie is "Paths of Glory". I believe this segment is scheduled to be shown tomorrow night (Thursday, October 14) on TCM (OK, Lance, here's your chance to finally see it!).
Thanks, JD! I read that in the paper and was going to mention that here and forgot all about it!

:flag:

Reaction score
JD Morelock said:
FYI: In Armchair General Issue 6 (Jan 2005) issue, the Dispatches column will feature the ACG Editor's picks for the 'Top 10 War Films'. Two of the films being discussed in this thread are in the 'Top 10' and one is an honorable mention.

J.D.,

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have fire up the recorder.....

I just checked the guide, it'll be a busy night on basic cable for military history buffs......
On TCM at 8PM, "Hell Below", (1933) a WW I submarine film, followed by the afore mentioned "Paths of Glory" (1957) at 10PM.
There is steep competion on AMC........at 6PM, "Flying Tigers" (1942) w/ John Wayne, at 8PM, "Zulu" (1964) followed at midnight by "Gallipoli".

Looks like I might have to fire up TWO recorders..........

Last edited:

MountainMan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
By the time I got to page four, all my choices were already posted...sniff... :cry:

However, no one mentioned Zepellin starring George Peppard. Corny in places, but great footage anyway.

Also a Rock Hudson comedy-romance with him as an American WWI pilot, Darling Lily. Full of stars, and surprisingly good combat scenes.You have to love the guy who always flies drunk.

Not sure about the time frame, but I seem to remember an old black-and-white about Browning and the BAR.

Funny the stuff that didn't get into the movies, like the raids on Zeebrugge or Ostende. There is a book called Sixty Minutes For St. George that would be a terrific movie. Also a book called The Lion At Sea, same thing.

Lots of good stuff that would make great WWI movies, but no studio takers, I guess. Too bad. An almost forgotten era for most people.