Best movie in the WW1 time period.

Napoleon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What do you think is the best movie produced that relates to the time around WW1. I know there aren't that many out but do your best. Mine would have to be:
All Quiet on the Westen Front
55 Days in Peking (I don't know how historically accurate it is but a pretty good movie.)
Nicholas and Alexandra (Without a doubt the best film relating to the czar and the Russian Revolution.)

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
All quiet on the Western Front 1970's version.
To some degree The Lost Batalion.

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Kind of limited as there weren't too many WW1 movies made. Canada has a few documentary series showing once and while on History Television.

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Napoleon
What do you think is the best movie produced that relates to the time around WW1. I know there aren't that many out but do your best. Mine would have to be:
All Quiet on the Westen Front
55 Days in Peking
Also Paths of Glory, The Blue Max, Sargeant York, Lost Battalion.

Cheers!
:toast:

:horse:

moondog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My favorite is Paths of Glory....but

other favorites are "Dawn Patrol" "Blue Max" "Khartoum" although, I don't really think that is around WWI....but it is good.
"55 Days in Peking" is a good one and is mostly accurate as far as the fighting goes.

"Hindenburg" "The African Queen" since "55 Days in Peking" was mentioned.....how about "Sand Pebbles" and "The Fighting 69th"

to name a few

dog

FelixAlicea

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't forget about ANZACS: THE WAR DOWN UNDER with Paul Hogan "crockodile dundee".:thumb:

It's a great movie.:toast:

RichardS

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by FelixAlicea
Don't forget about ANZACS: THE WAR DOWN UNDER with Paul Hogan "crockodile dundee".:thumb:

It's a great movie.:toast:
How can one forget Gallipoli as well!!!!!!!!! Sheesh, I'm going :crazy:

Cheers!

dannybou

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Originally posted by RStory
How can one forget Gallipoli as well!!!!!!!!! Sheesh, I'm going :crazy:

Cheers!

Yes I had totally forgotten about that one. With Mel Gibson if my memory doesn't fail me?

VictoryMorn

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Gallipoli.

The regiment that the story was about is the 10th Light Horse which was formed in my home state, Western Australia.

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The Fighting 69th

Fighting 69th is a real gem of a movie. Not only because it tells about the human side of war. Al la James Cagney playing a coward who in the end does the right thing for his battalions survival but it tells of the first american division to land in France. Very good piece, wish I can find it on dvd.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Here's mine (plus a question for Victory Morn)

1) Blue Max
2) All Quiet on the Western Front
3) Paths of Glory
4) Lost Battalion
5) Sergeant York
6) Gallipoli
7) I think there was a movie called "The Light Horse". It was Australian made and was about the fighting in the mid-east between Allenby and his German rival. The movie showed a great charge by the Light Horse. Victory Morn, is that the name of the movie?
8) Lawrence of Arabia
9) Although not WW I, it is w/i the era, the Boer War, Breaker Morant.

moondog

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Breaker Morant

What a Great Movie that was.....yeah....not WWI but still a great movie near the time of WWI

dog

VictoryMorn

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Tom

The movie you refer to is "The Light Horsemen".

The movie depicts the charge of the 4th Australian Light Horse Brigade at Beersheba on 31st October 1917. It is regarded as the last great cavalry charge.

A photo exists of the charge that was supposedly taken from a captured Turkish camera. Some historians believe that it was actually a photo of a reenactment of the charge some time afterwards. Nevertheless it is a pretty impressive sight.

You can view the photo at:
http://users.netconnect.com.au/~ianmac/horse.html

Reaction score
Re: Breaker Morant

Originally posted by moondog
What a Great Movie that was.....yeah....not WWI but still a great movie near the time of WWI

dog
I've always liked "Breaker Morant". A great movie about an often overlooked conflict.

JDS8072

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Same Time Period

Just finished watching a movie with Antonio Banderas. The movie was called And Staring Pancho Villa As Himself. Back in the day D.W. Grifith supposedly was contracted by Pancho Villa to make a movie of the revolution that he was conducting down in Mexico. Its a good movie. It was one of those made for tv type deals, but yet still a pretty good find. Y'all should check it out

FelixAlicea

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Re: Same Time Period

Originally posted by jdscott7280
Just finished watching a movie with Antonio Banderas. The movie was called And Staring Pancho Villa As Himself. Back in the day D.W. Grifith supposedly was contracted by Pancho Villa to make a movie of the revolution that he was conducting down in Mexico. Its a good movie. It was one of those made for tv type deals, but yet still a pretty good find. Y'all should check it out
It's a good movie and Banderas plays a good role as Pancho Villa. AREEBA!!:banana:

Reaction score
Re: Same Time Period

Originally posted by jdscott7280
I saw it and thought it was pretty good. I think it really showed how complex a man Villa was. How he could be very compasionate then utterly ruthless, all within a few seconds.