Best movie in the WW1 time period.

Reaction score
Well, I recorded "Paths of Glory" last night . I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but it seems to have a pretty lengthy intro with Senator John McClain. Best of all its in its original "widescreen" format.

Last edited:

JD Morelock

ACG Editor in Chief
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think I have carpal tunnel from switching the remote back and forth all night! Thanks to Lance for the head's up on the other great war films that were being shown last night on various cable channels.

Question: Are our Canadian forum readers able to get any of these channels via satellite?

Reaction score
JD Morelock said:
I think I have carpal tunnel from switching the remote back and forth all night! Thanks to Lance for the head's up on the other great war films that were being shown last night on various cable channels.

Question: Are our Canadian forum readers able to get any of these channels via satellite?
J.D., I have to admit that I feel spoiled sometimes with the content I have access to working in the retail TV business. Sometimes there are just too many satellite/cable offerings to even record them all. Some of it I record not having any idea when I might have time to watch, especially the ones that are not shown very often.......

Napoleon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Which means that it should reach Canada in about a month..... :nervous: Anyways, I think that we get PBS up here and 55 Days in Peking is coming on soon.

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Secret Agent said:
[Is this thread for us to say what we think our favorite WW1 time period movie is?]
I guess so - see the first post in the thread...

Napoleon said:
What do you think is the best movie produced that relates to the time around WW1. I know there aren't that many out but do your best.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Incrediably no mentioned two major epics:

Doctor Zhivago:
Komarovski: I think you do. There's another kind. Not high-minded, not pure, but alive. Now, that your tastes at this time should incline towards the juvenile is understandable; but for you to marry that boy would be a disaster. Because there's two kinds of women. There are two kinds of women and you, as we well know, are not the first kind. You, my dear, are a slut. :cheeky:

Lawrence of Arabia:
T.E. Lawrence: My friends, we have been foolish. Auda will not come to Aqaba. Not for money...
Auda abu Tayi: No.
T.E. Lawrence: ...for Feisal...
Auda abu Tayi: No!
T.E. Lawrence: ...nor to drive away the Turks. He will come... because it is his pleasure.
[pause]
Auda abu Tayi: Thy mother mated with a scorpion.
:smoke:

MountainMan said:
By the time I got to page four, all my choices were already posted...sniff... :cry:

However, no one mentioned Zepellin starring George Peppard. Corny in places, but great footage anyway.

Also a Rock Hudson comedy-romance with him as an American WWI pilot, Darling Lily. Full of stars, and surprisingly good combat scenes.You have to love the guy who always flies drunk.

Not sure about the time frame, but I seem to remember an old black-and-white about Browning and the BAR.

Funny the stuff that didn't get into the movies, like the raids on Zeebrugge or Ostende. There is a book called Sixty Minutes For St. George that would be a terrific movie. Also a book called The Lion At Sea, same thing.

Lots of good stuff that would make great WWI movies, but no studio takers, I guess. Too bad. An almost forgotten era for most people.

Last edited:

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Though not really about the WW1 Breaker Morant was indeed a great character study. One my favorite dialoge sequences is when the acqused men first meet their appointed defender:
Peter Handcock: New South Wales Mounted? What kind of lawyer are you?
Major Thomas: I haven't been accused of murder yet. What kind of officer are you?
Harry Morant: Handled many courts martial, Major?
Major Thomas: No, This is my first. Back home I was a country town solicitor, handling wills and land conveyences.
Harry Morant: Good God. They really want us to be convicted, don't they. :halo:

Lance Williams said:
"Breaker Morant" is indeed a great movie, it too has its courtroom segments, but has a good bit of action (mostly shown in flashbacks) interspirced. It is one of the few movies to deal with the 1899-1902 Anglo-Boer War. It also accurately shows the now questionable treatment of England's commonwealth troops that also crops up in the other movies previously mentioned (ie, "Gallipoli" and " The Light Horsemen"). This should be no surprise since it was based on a book about the events depicted titled, Scapegoats of the Empire.

neon

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
ANZAC's

The ANZAC's was recently show here in Australia over three nights on the ANZAC day long weekend. It was fantastic. I thick it was original show as one hour series in Australian 20 years ago this year. (I was to young to rememeber it being on TV the first time). It ready has stand the test of the time. What more amazing about it was made in the mid 80’s when there was only small amount of the interest in the ANZAC’s and WWI compare with today.

An interesting side note to ANZAC’s was the one more stand out performers, Jon Blake, who play Captain Flanagan, was kill in car crash two years later just after finishing filming The Lighthoremen. Many people believe he had the acting skills to conquer Hollywood. From what I saw, I believe them.