Best marking option for glass and plastic

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
What's the best (easy to clean off) option for markers when working with map covers of:

a) glass

b) plastic

Dry erase sounds ideal, but they only work on treated surfaces (i.e the whiteboards), yes? The wet erase overhead projector type pens sounds like the other logical option. Any other new-fangled marker tech out there?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Acrylic may "ghost" (not erase entirely) with dry erase, although I have seen conflicting statements on the matter. Wet erase seems ok.

One thing I would be concerned about with either is that by sliding your counters across either they may pick up color. That color will not come off counters I am guessing. When I want to mark a map I mark "soft" tape then cover the markings with another layer of soft tape.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
By "soft tape", do you mean repositionable tape (with a "post-it" like adhesive)?

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Alcohol pens. https://www.staedtler.com/intl/en/products/markers/permanent-marker/

I've been using the same ones I've purchased in the 1980s believe it or not. They wipe off with alcohol on a cloth or paper towel. Check though on a corner to be sure they do wipe off. but these are the same pens used in the army on map acetate. I use them all the time on my plexi.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
China markers / grease pencils have always worked great for me regardless of glass or plastic.