Best maps in ASL

Futbol

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So, after getting Journal 14 in the mail I must say the sparrow force map is one of the better ASL maps, the terrain flows very natural like and is not stale like some recent MMP boards. So including all third party publishers as well what are your favorite maps and why? Not boards maps.
Mine Sparrow Force for the above reasons
and No 2 believe it or not was CH's small unit action map of Balta which I thought looked very realistic and well done.

Perry

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’m not going to engage in a favorite map discussion, but historical maps are constrained by the historical terrain.
Which segment of a battlefield is selected to put on the map should primarily be based on playing needs and not aesthetic opinions. And geo boards are of course constrained by the needs of being geomorphic.
I suppose an ahistorical non-geo map could be created to maximize aesthetic concerns, but that sounds weird.

Glad you like the Sparrow Force map. So do I.

Craig Benn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
If I had to choose one it would be the winter maps from Kampfgruppe Scherer. They set a new standard.

And I'm a PTO rather than an OstFront fan.

It does beg the question what's the worst historical map? I'm leaning towards Critical Hits 'Ordeal before Shuri'.

The Journal 6 Primasole Bridge map is a bit meh too.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Dinant

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The best board is the original 1. Hand-painted with the translucent hint of sidewalks. Truly an artistic touch that I wish the digitally rendered urban/village board and maps could achieve.
I've been meaning to ask about those- whether people would like them or wonder if they were some kind of Path, with rules and everything.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The best board is the original 1. Hand-painted with the translucent hint of sidewalks. Truly an artistic touch that I wish the digitally rendered urban/village board and maps could achieve.

My $.02.

Ric of the LBC AIA, ACHA, LEED-AP
Yep that’s what is missing from the new clinical SK boards! No rules needed just pure aesthetics

Last edited:

criticalhit

Reaction score
I’m not going to engage in a favorite map discussion, but historical maps are constrained by the historical terrain.
Which segment of a battlefield is selected to put on the map should primarily be based on playing needs and not aesthetic opinions. And geo boards are of course constrained by the needs of being geomorphic.
I suppose an ahistorical non-geo map could be created to maximize aesthetic concerns, but that sounds weird.

Glad you like the Sparrow Force map. So do I.
UNTIL HAAKEE PALLA WAS RE RELEASED I'D SAY MAP 52 BECAUSE NOBLE KNIGHTS WAS SELLING IF FOR 50 BUCKS.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
UNTIL HAAKEE PALLA WAS RE RELEASED I'D SAY MAP 52 BECAUSE NOBLE KNIGHTS WAS SELLING IF FOR 50 BUCKS.
But they rip people off with astronomical prices for oop stuff so not a good guide. Also it took years for MMP to release the official SK one!

DonWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup. No need for sidewalk rules. But they definitely add something to board 1. (And my original copies of 20, 21, 22, and 23.)
Agreed. The original artwork esp. on Board 1 showing a more gritty look is something that should be used on all urban boards. Because I couldn't abide the too clean look of the later maps, I've 'pimped' all of my own city boards out - including all the HASL Stalingrad and Budapest maps. Easy to do with a few accessible art products - ink highlighters, pencil graphite, etc..

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed. The original artwork esp. on Board 1 showing a more gritty look is something that should be used on all urban boards. Because I couldn't abide the too clean look of the later maps, I've 'pimped' all of my own city boards out - including all the HASL Stalingrad and Budapest maps. Easy to do with a few accessible art products - ink highlighters, pencil graphite, etc..
I contend this is really adding 'chrome' to the game.

Do it while you can because Sacramento is going to ban it. No joke.