Best J5 scenario?

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was scrounging around and came across my wayward copy of J5 the other day and was wondering what the consensus was for best/most enjoyable scenario in this was. Personally, I'd love to do the LitS, but might have trouble finding someone to actually commit to sand in their boots.

Capt Harlock

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi,

I thought Himmlers House was a smashing scenario, perhaps the best one in J5.

Mitch

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bruce;

We playtested the LitS scenarios at West Coast Melee a couple of years ago...great scenarios. I personally played "Rommel's Remedy" (or whatever the name of the first scenario is...at work, so no J5 handy) and had a blast. Good variable OB scenario as each choice was difficult.

Semper Fi!
Scott

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I played Himmler's house at ASLOK. I noticed others playing it. From the games I saw, it was 4-0 in favor of the Germans.

As a matter of fact, one guy had the following in his "notes" section: GOT ASS KICKED

Not certain what ROAR has it.

Though I like the HASL boards and there are a TON of toys.

It was fun, though I think it is tough on the Russians.

YMMV

Peace

Roger

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually I found J5 to be mostly rehashes of previously released scenarios. Makin Taken stood a bit above the norm but not much. Generally a not very impressive issue, IMHO.

Keith

Mastadon61

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
rdw5150 said:
I played Himmler's house at ASLOK. I noticed others playing it. From the games I saw, it was 4-0 in favor of the Germans.

Roger
I played this and though the Germans won, it was more to overly aggressive Russian play with the vehicles. They got too close and got toasted with the PSKs or PFs. If the FT tanks had held back until the Germans were beaten up a little, I think with their help, the Russians could have kicked the Germans completely out of the building. As it was, time ran out with a handful of Germans left alive in the building.

Very cool. Only exception is that I'm not playing any more VASL with Deluxe. Too many board edge effects.

J88 Escape to Wiltz is not your typical ASL game. Kind of interesing.

I liked the Bobai pits in J84 Makin Taken too.

I played the first two desert scenarios and it was painful. I want to like the desert, but after I play it, I just don't enjoy it. Board 25 is hell.

Don Hancock

Jay White

my sh*t is so tight
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I hear good things about Escape to Wiltz - I've played Makin Taken, Flames of Unrest, and Ptichin' In.

I'm a bit of a Scenario Slut, so I liked them all - I would say that I enjoyed Ptichin' In the most, though... both sides get to attack and defend. A few toys on each side. Good times.

-Jay

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Desert Sands

For me the desert mini was the best. I found the selection of the theme (Alam Halfa) fitted well,...although I think board 25 was a bit much for your typical desert ridge.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From an all around excitment factor - J83 Bloody Nose. I played the Russians in a three-player slugfest against the German/Bulgarian force. The game plays long, but this came down to the last moment of the last turn. I have never felt so drained after a game in my life.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I second the nomination for J83 Bloody Nose-a fun mix of somewhat brittle troops, Guns and Armor.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I had looked quickly at the batch of scenarios (excluding for the moment the LitS trio), Bloody Nose, Himmlers' House and Makin Taken were the ones that jumped out at me first.

Bloody Nose mainly due to the Axis Minor contingent, which tends to catch the eye like Siam Sambal & Blood Enemies; through the presence of lesser used cardboard. I had seen (or saw, the grammar police isn't around to correct me :nuts: ) this played and noticed the Russki player used one of the guns (HIP'ed way to the rear) as a "last turn building grab" unit, which I guess is more a personal thing, but I don't care for that sort of silliness. Still, being aware of it should drive the Axis play of the scenario, it still looking like time well spent.

Himmlers, well, Deluxe always grabs me, but the size tends to be prohibitive amongst the guys locally (go figure :argh: ) I've always felt alot of guys play larger scenarios 'small' in that they don't always hold back reserves for those inevitable setbacks or after proper softening up of the defense. I had seen an AAR hereabouts commenting on the early commitment of the OT-34s and how they may have been better utilised later on.

Makin Taken, well, PTO (also) grabs me, but, again, locally it got a bad early rep. Due in part to the early ROAR reports as well as cowardice :rifle: , this was relegated to the scrap heap.
An ASL demi-god felt (feels?) an IJA upfront stuff defense makes this unwinnable for the US, but noone took the challenge of actually trying it out. I think the IJA can cause some serious casualties and a significant early delay, but think careful US play just may be able to overcome the game later. Of course, I have no practical experience with this.

Ptichin' In I kind of looked past because of the partisan element, though it and Escape to Wiltz (due in large part to Mark Ps AAR, IIRC) have begun to shine in a differing light due to later buzz.

As for the LitS, I really _must_ find someone willing to do this!

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
[QUOTE='Ol Fezziwig]
(or saw, the grammar police isn't around to correct me :nuts: ) [/QUOTE]

That would be "the grammer police *aren't* around...." :D

And English is my 2nd language....

Jazz

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
My vote goes to Flames Of Unrest as a cool one to play - Sturmtigers, Goliaths, MOLs and homemade FTs plus sequentially placed rubble and flames make this a blast. Playing it in the CyberASL Open now after our FtF game was knocked over in the break between weekly sessions by my 4yo boy. Still, the 4 or 5 turns we played were an absolute blast - those Sturmtigers sure want to make the partisans not hang around in LOS....

Ian

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I enjoyed J83 "Bloody Nose"...Interesting in that the Rommanians are the majority of the infantry for the axis attack, with early war tanks (I'm always drawn to "unique" scenarios like this). I played this at last year's West Coast Melee and it came down to the very end...a good, tense scenario with just the right amount on both sides to make it a good, even battle.

I still think that the gunner in the picture on J85 "Pitchin' In" looks like he is wearing ballet slippers..."not that there's anything wrong with that."

Semper Fi!
Scott

sgtono

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jazz said:
That would be "the grammer police *aren't* around...." :D

And English is my 2nd language....

Jazz
That would be "the *grammar* police aren't around..."

Keith

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Journal 5 at one point was really awful in terms of ROAR. Things are somewhat improving as more scenarios get played, although there are clearly some for which the odds are long that they will ever prove to be balanced. Here's the latest results:

Fast Heinz [J78] Russian 2 German 3
Rommel's Remedy [J79] German/Italian 6 New Zealand 7
Egypt's Last Hope [J80] British 5 German 5
Twisted Knickers [J81] German 6 British 1
Pavlov's House [J82] German 10 Russian 9
Bloody Nose [J83] Russian 8 German/Romanian 12
Makin Taken [J84] Japanese 12 American 8
Ptichin' In [J85] German 10 Partisan 18
Frontal Assault [J86] German 1 British 13
Flames of Unrest [J87] German 10 Partisan 7
Escape to Wiltz [J88] American 10 German 24
Himmler's House [J89] German 8 Russian 9

Capt Harlock

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
ll
Hi,

Mark, J5 is a very good magazine, much better then J4. Granted some of the scenarios are not perfect, but they are still very fun. If it was a perfect world, all scenarios would be balanced.

As an aside, any word on when J6 will get published?

Mitch

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
hmmm wierd, the scenerio I saw going 0-4 (Himmlers House) for the Russians at ASLOK is 9-8 for the Russians on ROAR.

Who has won as the Russians?

I do not think Mark said that J5 was bad, he just said that at one point ROAR had the scenarios as pretty bad, but they are balancing out a little with more playings being being posted.

Peace

Roger