Best first 15 minutes Movie

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just caught Top Gun on TV and started thinking about the movies with the best first 15 minutes.

Outside of Top Gun and Saving Private Ryan, I am struggling what other movies really set the movie as being good in the first 15 minutes.

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Every one of the Indiana Jones movies have pretty good opening sequences.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Halloween - little six year old Michael Myers does in his older sister on Halloween night 1963. Brilliant tracking shot culminating in a horrific sounding stabbing - then the reveal that ist just a kid. Excellent.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two come to mind, both from the 80's. The first was the stunning Battle of Antietam intro to the movie 'Glory'. The other was the first act of 'The Right Stuff' (probably more like around 20-25 minutes), culminating in Chuck Yeager's breaking the sound barrier. I get goose bumps every time I watch that amazing sequence.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
UP - The best set up for a movie

Patton - A close second
Patton is such an amazing movie. It is a piece of work like Patton himself. It's one of those movies like Blade Runner and the better Kubrick films that I can watch a hundred times and never get tired of. Talk about goosebumps, I also get them every time I see that stunning 'weather prayer' sequence.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Funny - I just watched it again this weekend - for the first time in a few years.

"God help me, I lvoe it so".

It really is a masterpiece.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Funny - I just watched it again this weekend - for the first time in a few years.

"God help me, I lvoe it so".

It really is a masterpiece.
The ironic thing it is a great movie, one of the Classics, yet a mediocre war movie.

Nexus6

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The ironic thing it is a great movie, one of the Classics, yet a mediocre war movie.
Of course you are correct about this, as Patton is first and foremost a military biography. That said, I think the war/action scenes in the film were usually short and sweet and served to underscore and give credibility to the story. Contrast this with that rather dull and over-talky movie about Admiral Halsey (with Cagney I think) with almost zero action. On a related note, I recall Colonel Trotter when he was doing wargame reviews for PC Gamer complaining about the unauthentic equipment in Patton. To me this was being incredibly nit-picky. Even as a kid I knew that those tanks were not WW2 tanks, but to my mind this detracted very, very little from the film, and considering how great overall the movie was, the unauthentic Spanish army hardware was a very minor complaint.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Of course you are correct about this, as Patton is first and foremost a military biography. That said, I think the war/action scenes in the film were usually short and sweet and served to underscore and give credibility to the story. Contrast this with that rather dull and over-talky movie about Admiral Halsey (with Cagney I think) with almost zero action. On a related note, I recall Colonel Trotter when he was doing wargame reviews for PC Gamer complaining about the unauthentic equipment in Patton. To me this was being incredibly nit-picky. Even as a kid I knew that those tanks were not WW2 tanks, but to my mind this detracted very, very little from the film, and considering how great overall the movie was, the unauthentic Spanish army hardware was a very minor complaint.
You still recall watching Patton on the Sunday movie of the week. Always have memories of watching it laying on my Great-grandparents living room floor. Speaking of that, I am going to fire up Patton this evening.