"Best" CWBS Game for New Players

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What are the "best" CWB series games for relatively new players?

Best in terms of
  • Interesting situation
  • Balance
  • Single map
  • Relatively few units?
  • Best representation or intro to the series?
I'm not concerned with whether the game is out of print, they all come up for sale on Ebay, but if the recommendation was available now, that would be a plus.

Thanks!

GJK

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think you can't beat either No Better Place to Die for the availability and price; plus it's a fine game. Perryville is also known as one of the better "starter" games for the series though its availability is limited (OOP). I have Embrace an Angry Wind which has both one and two map scenarios. It looks good, but I haven't played any of the scenarios from it yet.

Last edited:

Keith Todd

Reaction score
Balance in CWB comes with experience, certain scenarios, and using the optional rules that are specific to the game.

My recommendations would be in order:

Malvern Hill - plenty of scenarios with low counter density, mininum special rules, and excitement. Plus a great introduction to the types of battles fought in the civil war. 3 maps with plenty of one and two map scenarios.

Three Battles of Manassas - more special rules but basically the same reasons as Malvern Hill.(comes with latest rules and charts)

No Better Place to Die - great game but it is based on one battle

Barren Victory - Chickamauga, plenty of action not too bad on counter density

Side note - If you are interested in the Seven Pines campaign, only the maps with Malvern Hill have a turn record and terrain chart.
The Seven Pines campaign consists of Malvern Hill, Gaines Mill, and Seven Pines - this set can give more bang for the buck than I ever realized until playing it. Find out what a frontal assualt on prepared positions is like with Mechanicsville.

Keith

Last edited:

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the replies and advice. I've already ordered "No Better Place to Die" - at $13 how can I not?

I'll discuss the other suggestions with my 'opponent' and we'll pick some other out as well.

Sam