Best ASL box art

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
Well in the Iwo thread Yuri said he would be glad to comment on a thread along these lines so here it is. SL/ASL/ASLSK and TPP, the field is wide open.

Mine, SL, RB and I'll throw in HL because I think I bear a resemblance to the guy on the left.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Module: Croix De Guerre (1st version)... though the "old" modules look all cartoonish in some way.
HASL: Kampfgruppe Peiper I
Journal: J5

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I don't think any of the AH/MMP module box art is bad. The styles change, George Parrish, David Pentland, Ken Smith etc. but a bit of variety is good. I like all of them, and the artists managed to capture some of the essential essence of each one.
13658 Beyond Valor - parade ground German officer leading early war looking Germans (brown belt, gas cape bags across the chest, this was all changed as the war went on) and a camouflaged Tiger tank. Solid.

Paratrooper - described well above

13660Yanks - its rare to see the Sherman looking fierce and powerful. The central figure is based off a famous photo from Normandy, a nice touch that Parrish incorporated into much of his ASL art.

13661 Partisan! - a middling effort, but again based on an actual photograph.

13659West of Alamein - parade ground British officer armed with a .38 revolver, chest out, chin up. Colours very evocative of the subject material, the war in the Western Desert.

13662 The Last Hurrah - unfortunate in that it perpetuates myths that have been firmly debunked, but certainly evokes the feel of early war encounters between the Germans and early war Allies.

13663 Hollow Legions - while the title is hardly a tribute to the Italian fighting man, this cover captures a number of things, from determination to resignation. Based on an actual photo

Attachments

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think any of the AH/MMP module box art is bad. The styles change, George Parrish, David Pentland, Ken Smith etc. but a bit of variety is good. I like all of them, and the artists managed to capture some of the essential essence of each one.
View attachment 13658 Beyond Valor - parade ground German officer leading early war looking Germans (brown belt, gas cape bags across the chest, this was all changed as the war went on) and a camouflaged Tiger tank. Solid.

Paratrooper - described well above

View attachment 13660Yanks - its rare to see the Sherman looking fierce and powerful. The central figure is based off a famous photo from Normandy, a nice touch that Parrish incorporated into much of his ASL art.

View attachment 13664

View attachment 13661 Partisan! - a middling effort, but again based on an actual photograph.

View attachment 13667

View attachment 13659West of Alamein - parade ground British officer armed with a .38 revolver, chest out, chin up. Colours very evocative of the subject material, the war in the Western Desert.

View attachment 13662 The Last Hurrah - unfortunate in that it perpetuates myths that have been firmly debunked, but certainly evokes the feel of early war encounters between the Germans and early war Allies.

View attachment 13663 Hollow Legions - while the title is hardly a tribute to the Italian fighting man, this cover captures a number of things, from determination to resignation. Based on an actual photo

View attachment 13666
I had no idea that the Hollow Legions art was based upon an actual photo. I can't explain it, however I like the photo of the MG crew much more than the painting.

Regarding the other early ASL modules, in general I appreciate and prefer the new art in the updated versions... such as Red Factories as opposed to the old Red Barricades, Rising Sun as opposed to Code of Bushido, Croix de Guerre, etc. I'm somewhat disappointed that the BV artwork (my least favorite box art of all the AH/MMP products) has not been updated in any of its several re-printings. A prime example of how despite the appearance of the box, I will still purchase and enjoy playing a product.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As much as I like all the ASL boxes (and the quality has been consistently high to the present day) I like Rodger B. MacGowan's original boxtops the best.

View attachment 13670View attachment 13673

View attachment 13671
Cross of Iron: A Squad Leader Gamette | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

View attachment 13672
Pin on Games

View attachment 13674G.I. Anvil of Victory: A Squad Leader Gamette | Board Game ...
Product
457 × 630
613 × 630750 × 1000
I still admire all of these! Especially Cross of Iron, which brings to mind fond memories of the significant upgrade to the armored warfare aspect of the SL system. I can still recall my jaw-drop reaction to opening that box and seeing all those counter sheets of early war soviet tanks. Not to mention for me at least, you can't go wrong putting a T-34 on the box cover. Good stuff.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
As I recall, there was a Journal article regarding the Marine with the Thompson.
PFC Ison, I believe it was actually in The General.

From VFTT's article index:

The men on the box - "From the archives"
Vol 28, No 2; Paul E. Ison, USMC (Ret.)
Fascinating brief historical article by one of the marines depicted on the Gung Ho box cover.

Link to magazine: https://www.vftt.co.uk/Games/Avalon Hill/00 The General/The General Vol 28 No 2.pdf

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I like em all but West of Alamein was my favorite, but I was smitten in the 70s by Tobruck and ‘88’...

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My favorite that I liked so much I bought a print, framed it and it's on my game room wall.