Best And Worse Moments In Gaming

John Paul

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Okay i'm wondering what people here consider their greatest high and their lowest low while playing a game.

i'll start off:Scoring a touchdown on a punt return in Tecmo Superbowl III,if any of you have ever played this one then you know its next to impossible to return a punt.I was playing as the Falcons and had just recieved the ball on a punt,well i had also been sick with the flu for several days,I passed out while the play was in progress only to be awakened by thunderous cheers from the home audience...I had scored.Never could duplicate that feat.

Lowest point,another football game:I had purchased ESPN Gameday,i tried liking this game i really did but after several weeks of playing it and realizing what a piece of junk it was,in a fit of rage i took a flex bar to the game while it was still in my game system..the whole time screaming obscenities,suffice it to say it was not my finest moment:angry:

Kraut

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I was playing a PBM (yes, the pre-Internet era :) ), a pretty complex SciFi game with a really slow turn cycle (one turn every 3 weeks) and when we finally reached turn 18 and things really started to heat up, wars were declared ... the GameMaster managed to destroy the game data and no backup was available ! :cry:

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Lowest:

Playing Victory Games Korea 50-51 Board Game. It uses a 10 sided dice. As the Un player I was advancing into NK sweeping all before me. Needed a die role of anything but a 1 to take P/yang and win the game before the Chinese could intervene. Yes I rolled a 1, the Chinese intervened and I lost the game!

Best: Playing Germans in Panzergruppe Guderian game by SPI. Need to take Smolensk on the very last turn to achieve victory. The Russian units are inverted so that their combat effectivness is not known to either side until combat begins. The Russians have about IIRC 100 units or so. Five of these have 0 combat values. My opponent had three combat units in Smolensk. I attacked and it turned out that all three units were 0 values! Won the game. BTW we played that one for 12 hours straight with his wife supplying the rations.

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Playing Nato next war in Europe.

I was Nato.

Took my special ops units jumped on all the Warsaw Pact headquarters units accept Czech one.
Lost all my units, but he lost all his Headquarters units.

Neat thing is, no HQ, no victory points gained by those forces sans HQ. Meant he had to win with the Czechs.

It was a total rout, and he conceded in misery hehe.

Same guy different game.

British vs Japanese (can't recall the game name). His attack on Singapore stalled (I still can't recall how I managed it).
I attacked back, surrounded and defeated the bulk of his forces. It was a disaster for him. The game was actually designed to measure British win based on how well they lost hehe, they had no real win critereon for me actually defeating the japanese.

And no this guy wasn't some mindless loser hehe. He was a college student, and be an experienced gamer.

My worst defeat.

Finally found a guy to play A3R after a long drought of good gaming partners. This guy though was someone that played a lot and played a technical game. Regardless of my playing A3R off and on for years, he handed me my butt on a platter hehe.

Lesson there, don't play new people as if they were your regular wargaming buddy hehe.

Black Moria

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lowest:

A group of my friends and I were playing SPI's 'War in the East', a monstrous 12 map wargame with 2000+ counters. The game was setup on two sheets of thin plywood on sawhorses in my friend's basement.

It took nearly a week to get the game setup. It took nearly a month of playing to get to game turn 5.

Well, I stumbled on my friend's 20 lb tabby which, unknown to me, had elected to sleep near my feet while we were halfway through that night's game play.

You guessed it. My body weight slammed the end of one piece of plywood under the other and my toppling to the floor flipped two sheets of plywood into the air, and it literally rained 2000+ counters, rules, 12 map sheets, dice, notebooks and 6 opened cans of coke down on everyone. :eek: :cry:

Aries

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Man that brought a tear to my eye.

I hear your pain brother.

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by Black Moria
Lowest:

You guessed it. My body weight slammed the end of one piece of plywood under the other and my toppling to the floor flipped two sheets of plywood into the air, and it literally rained 2000+ counters, rules, 12 map sheets, dice, notebooks and 6 opened cans of coke down on everyone. :eek: :cry:
Wow, we've all knocked risk boards or Axis and Allies boards over...but THAT is a true disaster!

Can anyone beat that one?

JAMiAM

TOAW III Project Manager
Reaction score
Best moment: Playing World in Flames at a convention tourney about 14 years ago. Came down to the last turn in the game, and I launched a desperation attack against Antwerp (I was the Allies). My opponent wasn't able to retake it in his counterattack, then he rolled for the turn to end. I eked out a marginal victory by 1 point! We became best friends and gamed weekly for many years afterward, until he recently moved away...:cry:

Worst moment: About 20 years ago, I had a game of War and Peace (by Avalon Hill) set up in the garage on top of my '64 Ferrari. It sat on a stiff piece of cardboard. Went off on vacation for a couple of weeks and upon returning, discovered that the roof had leaked during a storm and that the game had grown a thick covering of fuzzy mold all over the map boards, counters, etc.

Wolfe Tone

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Originally posted by Black Moria
Lowest:

A group of my friends and I were playing SPI's 'War in the East', a monstrous 12 map wargame with 2000+ counters. The game was setup on two sheets of thin plywood on sawhorses in my friend's basement.

It took nearly a week to get the game setup. It took nearly a month of playing to get to game turn 5.

Well, I stumbled on my friend's 20 lb tabby which, unknown to me, had elected to sleep near my feet while we were halfway through that night's game play.

That is a Classic!

FlyingShells

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
that is an increadibly sad yet amzingly funny story! I think it is more sad then funny though. 2000+ points, and all to waste! HORRIBLE!