Best all time actor War or Combat movies

Actor you would have if you were directing giant blockbuster war movie.

• John Wayne, Longest Day/Green Berets

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Michael Caine , Bridge too far/Battle of Britain

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Michael Biehn ,The Rock/Navy Seals/Aliens

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Audie Murphy, To Hell and Back

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Sean Connery, Longest Day/Bridge too Far

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Eric Bana, Blackhawk Down

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Mel Gibson, We Were Soldiers/Braveheart

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Tom Sizemore BlackhawkDown/Saving Private Ryan

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Tom Hanks Saving Private Ryan

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Ed Harris The Rock/Enemy at the gates

Votes: 2 3.9%

• Total voters

saddaminator

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
creeping death said:
For all of you coming up with all these other actors ( some famous some not so famous) there is limited space for votes and I was looking for leads and popular names. Some of the names being tossed around are people 99% of the world has never heard of.
Maybe next time I make a poll with Stallone, Shwarzenegger, Vin Diesel, Chuck Norris, Steven Seagal and Jean Claude Van DUH. :rolleyes:
gotta go with Shwarzenegger in all of his unrealistic 80's war flicks. :laugh:

saddaminator

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And the guy who played the ex ww2 82th airbourne vet, sgt Plumley in Mel's 'We were soldiers' was pretty damn good too... what was his name???[/QUOTE]
almost forgot about him. the delta guys in BHD were good to.
ps. you all seem to have forgotten that mel gibson was in the patriot and Gallipoli. he was good in Gallipoli.

Last edited:
Reaction score
saddaminator said:
And the guy who played the ex ww2 82th airbourne vet, sgt Plumley in Mel's 'We were soldiers' was pretty damn good too... what was his name???
Sgt.Maj. Basil Plumley was portayed by Sam Elliot......

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Lance Williams said:
Sgt.Maj. Basil Plumley was portayed by Sam Elliot......
Thankyou, after Ed Harris as Major König, he is the best thousand yard, hard as nails, vet that has been in the movie's ever!

Sam Was really the heart of the Battalion, wasnt he, he cept Mel together, when Mel had doubts... best line being when Mel, as Moore, is having doubts, and recalling Little Big Horn, Elliot as Plumley, comes and says: 'Sir, Custer was a pussy!' (meaning in military slang, a nerd'... not the other meaning given to that word (meaning little cat)... :)

Elliot/Plumley's second best line (The two are identical as what Plumley really said, is identical to Elliot's line, according to the book, read it)!
Is: when the NVA, are breaking through, right before the famous and dramatic 'Broken Arrow sign is given, and the whole damn airforce, and navy carriers shoot off dozens of fast movers, full of all kind's of munitions...

So, they are breaking through the line in small groups, and plumley who is the senior commander at the wounded collection point, (With the mortars next to it I think), he sees the short dashes of small groups of NVA, many would have paniced, but Elliot/Plumley (The figure is so like the real Plumpley pictured in the book, that I cannot draw a line between the movie character, and the real guy)! Says to the wounded, who still can hold a weapon, 'Gentlemen! Prepare to defend your selves'!!!

Yep, a vet from Sicily, Normandy, Market Garden, the Rhine Crossing jump? (I'm confused, he did 'all four combat jumps in ww2, where was the fourth, op varsity perhaps)?

And the Bulge, and an extra combat jump in Korea... I mean this guy, had enough experience to be a three star general!

And don't Elliot get the part right? I loved him, best character in the film, without any doubts...

Toughest US combat performance ever in my books.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sgt.Maj. Plumley is definately one of Elliot's greatest roles, but he's been a mostly underrated actor for many years. I would have to say that his best portrayals seem to be historical characters.....

General Buford in "Gettysburg"
Sam Houston in "Gone to Texas"
Virgil Earp in "Tombstone"

17poundr

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Lance Williams said:
Sgt.Maj. Plumley is definately one of Elliot's greatest roles, but he's been a mostly underrated actor for many years. I would have to say that his best portrayals seem to be historical characters.....

General Buford in "Gettysburg"
Sam Houston in "Gone to Texas"
Virgil Earp in "Tombstone"
Yep, he has that 'Cowboy' look that makes him perfect for any role set in the wild west, that's why I was so suprised to see him exell in 'we were soldiers'...

Reaction score
17poundr said:
Yep, he has that 'Cowboy' look that makes him perfect for any role set in the wild west, that's why I was so suprised to see him exell in 'we were soldiers'...
Best "handlebar" mustache in the business........