Berserker Questions

BrianS

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had a situation where a berserk Russian squad ended up alone in a hex with a broken German squad at the start of a Rout Phase. They were not yet locked in melee, so my understanding is that withdrawal from melee would not yet be applicable. They were in a Woods hex, with Open Ground in the surrounding hexes. No Quarter had not yet been invoked for either side. My understanding is that the German unit should attempt to surrender since it cannot rout to a non-adjacent hex without either suffering interdiction or resorting to low crawl. However, the rules also state that berserk units do not take prisoners. So, I figured this could go one of two ways:

1. The Germans start to surrender, but after seeing the crazed look in the eyes of the Russkies they think better of it and rout away, willing to risk interdiction rather than leave their fate in the hands of the blood-crazed enemy OR

2. The Germans are so panicked that they attempt to surrender anyway, and are shot, knifed, gouged and trampled by the murderous Russians.

Which of these is correct, or is there a third answer that I'm completely missing?

If the correct answer is #2, does this invoke No Quarter?

Finally, if the correct answer is #2, does the bersek squad lose their berserk status, their blood-lust satisfied? I ask this because the rules (I'm working out of v1, mind you) state that a berserk unit returns to normal status after eliminating the enemy units in its hex in either the AFPh or the CCPh. This particular elimination would occur in the RtPh.

Thanks

BrianS

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Technically a "CC" marker would be put on the Russian & German units at the end of the Advancing Fire Phase; so you are correct in that there is not yet a Melee.

A20.21 requires a broken unit to Rout away when adjacent to a Berserk unit, so they must risk Interdiction, because they can't Low Crawl since this leaves them ADJACENT to a known enemy unit at the end of the RtPh, which would eliminate them for Failure to Rout. Should they Pin in the first hex entered, they would then be eliminated for FtR for ending the RtPh adjacent to an known enemy unit.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Note that No Quarter is not to be invoked, as the Berserker il not Good Order...