Berserk unit return to normal A15.46

Nearmiss

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Berserk unit charges a broken enemy squad and enters its' hex (A15.43).
During the ensuing RtPh the broken enemy unit is eliminated for Failure to Rout.
The Berserk unit now has no enemy unit in its' LOS.
I know the Berserk unit will return to normal, but what is the mechanism?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
In the next MPh the Berserk unit will charge to/towards the Location where it last saw a Known enemy unit. Once there - if no Known enemy unit is in LOS, it returns to normal.

If the broken unit is the last Known enemy unit that the berserked har LOS to come its next MPh, it will "charge" its own Location. Basically doing nothing the MPh and returning to normal after that.

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
If the broken unit is the last Known enemy unit that the berserked har LOS to come its next MPh, it will "charge" its own Location. Basically doing nothing the MPh and returning to normal after that.
Is he considered moving during that zero-hex charge? How many MF (if any) is he assumed to spend for DFF purposes?

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In the next MPh the Berserk unit will charge to/towards the Location where it last saw a Known enemy unit. Once there - if no Known enemy unit is in LOS, it returns to normal.

Unless the broken unit manages to not be Known (I don't think that's possible), the Berserker will charge it no matter what, as it will always be the closest Known enemy unit.

But I don't think this was the original question. If the Berserker charges a broken unit and enters its hex, the broken unit is still not in Melee in the next RtPh, and will be able to rout away - its first hex is allowed to be adjacent to the Berserker because it is leaving its location. But it won't be able to remain in the Berserker's location.

But in a situation where a Berserker is in a broken enemy unit's Location (and not in Melee) at the start of its MPh, I would say it takes a 0MF charge (with no possible DFF).

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Unless the broken unit manages to not be Known (I don't think that's possible), the Berserker will charge it no matter what, as it will always be the closest Known enemy unit.
The broken unit died for failure to rout in the same hex as the berserker. But between then and the berserker's next MPh another Known enemy might have come into LOS.

But I don't think this was the original question.
I believe it was.

Berserk unit charges a broken enemy squad and enters its' hex (A15.43).
During the ensuing RtPh the broken enemy unit is eliminated for Failure to Rout.
The berserker charged into a broken unit's Location. That unit died for FtR in the RtPh (I assume that happened in the very same Location).

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Is he considered moving during that zero-hex charge? How many MF (if any) is he assumed to spend for DFF purposes?
I'd probably say not moving, i.e., no MF spent and no DFF allowed....I think this might have come up in another thread, can't remember when that was though.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He isn't spending any MF, but how many MF spent isn't an issue since there isn't any known enemy units in his LOS.

What would happen is 2 player turns ago the broken enemy unit (which was the only known enemy unit in LOS at the time) died for failure to rout. Since then no known enemy units are seen. At the start of the MPh the Berserk unit charges the last location they saw a Known enemy unit (its own location) and returns to normal if no Known enemy units are seen. The Defender can, if he wants to, drop concealment (and maybe HIP) on a unit to allow/force the Berserk unit to spend its MPh charging that unit (using usually all 8MF doing so if needed).

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
He isn't spending any MF, but how many MF spent isn't an issue since there isn't any known enemy units in his LOS.
This may be relevant since Units that are not Known to the Berserker may take the opportunity to fire at him.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This may be relevant since Units that are not Known to the Berserker may take the opportunity to fire at him.
I had forgotten about using a HIP/concealed unit spotting for a MTR (I can't think of another case where the Defender can shot in the MPh at the Berserk unit without losing concealment). In this case since they are spending 0MF in the MPh they can't be shot at in the MPh just as a unit that is CX can remove the CX and not spend any MF not be shot at.
Note that in both cases the Defender can drop concealment after either of the above units starts its MPh and before it is done with its MPh although in the case of th4e CX unit I can't see any reason to do so.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I had forgotten about using a HIP/concealed unit spotting for a MTR (I can't think of another case where the Defender can shot in the MPh at the Berserk unit without losing concealment).
Why not just a concealed unit using IFT? A concealed unit would not lose "?" to the berserker, because it's not Good Order.

Stewart

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llRussia
The Berserk unit isn't moving. It must enter the Location of the KEU it saw last. It is in the Location so therefore will not expend MF entering that Location...End of Mph it will RtN.

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
follow up Q:
Can you reveal a hip unit during movement phase on specific movement point or just at the start? I was just thinking of a scenario where a berserk unit is moving to the last known location and I didn't want him to get there as I have a hip unit, but the hex before he enters I reveal a unit 10 hexes away on, lets say his 5th movement expenditure. I can reveal as concealed or do I have to reveal completely to stop the charge?

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
follow up Q:
Can you reveal a hip unit during movement phase on specific movement point or just at the start?
At any time before, during, or after the Charge.

I was just thinking of a scenario where a berserk unit is moving to the last known location and I didn't want him to get there as I have a hip unit, but the hex before he enters I reveal a unit 10 hexes away on, lets say his 5th movement expenditure. I can reveal as concealed or do I have to reveal completely to stop the charge?
Completely reveal, as only a KEU will impact direction of Charge.