Berserk unit and Defensive First Fire/ Final Fire

Sapper_D

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Am I right in thinking that a berserk ENEMY MMC won't D1F or Final Fire at moving FRIENDLY units because a berserk unit isn't Good Order as per S8.61 and S8.62 or have I missed something? Seems odd that you can waltz right by a berserk unit and not get shot at...

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It looks like you are correct. I would read these sections as an unbroken rather than good order enemy unit otherwise you can do the same to a pinned unit or a stunned tank. I note there is no such limitation on FPF since there the unit merely has to passan NTC it does not need to be in good order.

Paullus

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Good question. I think that many of us uses Vinnies interpretation and read it as unbroken instead of Good Order.

Scott Hasson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I looked in Chapter A at A15.431-15.432 and it mentions a Berserk units ability to Defensive Fire in the opponents MPh so I would think that a Berserk unit in SASL can do likewise even though the rule states otherwise. I agree with Vinnie that the spirit of the rule should be 'Unbroken' instead of 'Good Order'.

Cheers.

Scott.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I agree with Scott's interpretation, I take it that berserkers in ASL can DF, therefore I allow the ENEMY berserkers to DF as well.

Whilst talking about ENEMY berserkers, dice roll '12' on the ENEMY on the Advance Table has that the "unit" goes berserk.

I had 3 squads stacked with a leader, and was unsure if all the units went berserk or not. So, as the leader had no other duties, I rolled for him, he went berserk, and then rolled for the three squads individually, with only one squad joining the officer in the berserk charge.

Was I correct?

Scott Hasson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would refer you to A15.41 for the consequences of a leader going Berserk. If he does go berserk then, after resolving any fire attacks, he needs to attempt to change all others stacked with him to berserk status as well. Any stacked with the leader have to take a NTC (subject to the leaders pre-berserk modification) and passing causes them to go berserk as well. Failing the NTC results in no change to status.

Scott.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yes, that's why the leader and one squad went berserk, with the other two squads failing their NTC and remaining normal.

But does the passage in the 'ENEMY in Advance attitude' Table (dice roll = 12) mean all the units automatically go berserk, or do I follow the routine that we have described above?
Thanks for the reply.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
No, I think it is only one unit that goes berserk. If it were all units then the reference to A15.41 would not be needed since those units would be berserk by the 12 roll without needing an NTC.

Paullus

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yes, that's why the leader and one squad went berserk, with the other two squads failing their NTC and remaining normal.

But does the passage in the 'ENEMY in Advance attitude' Table (dice roll = 12) mean all the units automatically go berserk, or do I follow the routine that we have described above?
Thanks for the reply.
Every unit in Advance Attitude and with a Friendly unit in LOS goes Berserk. You only make one DR on Table A4b for all Advance Attitude
Infantry units.

S9.2 ...Only a Good Order Activated non-Immobile ENEMY unit may be given a Move Command and only during the ENEMY MPh when that unit is ready to move. All such Infantry units in Advance Attitude use the same Move Command {A4b} (9.21). ...

So no need to use A15.41.

Augie

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Every unit in Advance Attitude and with a Friendly unit in LOS goes Berserk. You only make one DR on Table A4b for all Advance Attitude
Infantry units.

S9.2 ...Only a Good Order Activated non-Immobile ENEMY unit may be given a Move Command and only during the ENEMY MPh when that unit is ready to move. All such Infantry units in Advance Attitude use the same Move Command {A4b} (9.21). ...

So no need to use A15.41.
I agree that all advance attitude Enemy units get the same command - rather troublesome when u got a dozen locations suddening beserking!

I think A15.41 comes into play if the leader is stacked with other units that Panic'd or Prep Fired (i.e. don't have a Move Command) - and he will try to convince those units to Berserk with him.