Berserk & DC

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
A funny thing happened in my game of The Art of Dying.

My Italian 8-1 leader went berserk (bad) :freak: and had to charge in the open (oh, really bad) towards the T-60 platoon (2 MF distant). But he survived, wounded, when entering the tankette's location.
As he was carrying a DC, one may have assumed that the zerk would be all too happy to detonate his satchel charge.
But according to A23.61, only Japanese can throw their DC in their own location.:angry: And throwing it at the adjacent T-60 was not an option either, due to Target Selection Limits.

So he remained in the hex, powerless, knocking with his bare hands on the T60's armor plates.:argh:

I guess we can say that berserks are not only reckless and noisy, they are also DUMB.:nuts:

In light of this, I would like the rule gods consider extending in the third edition the exemption of A23.61 to berserkers. Or making them drop their DC at the beginning of their change as they can't use them. Or applying the DC hero rules to them.:horse:

This seems to me more in line with the Berserker's way of life (and a valuable addition to the Art of Dying, Italian style). :D

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don't think berserk units can use a demo charge in any circumstances. Do you not have to be in good order?

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It would be nice if a wild-eyed, crazy, Beserker could detonate a DC just like the average japanese infantryman.

Rich

rshurtz

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had a 8-0 leader declare a DC placement, the resulting DFF caused him to go berserk. So the placement was successful! He then proceeded to run into the hex. Does the DC effect the berserk leader in AFPH? It appear no as he is not in melee.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Had a 8-0 leader declare a DC placement, the resulting DFF caused him to go berserk. So the placement was successful! He then proceeded to run into the hex. Does the DC effect the berserk leader in AFPH? It appear no as he is not in melee.
No attack on him, lucky guy. If the DC kills the target though, he stays berserk.

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good to know, can they do this while charging?
Yes and no, as Klas said he can't throw it during the MPh, but a Berserk unit can throw it during the AFPh or DFPh. However in the OP he can't throw it since it can only be thrown at an ADJACENT or sometimes adjacent target (the Japanese are also an exception) but since the leader is in the same location as an enemy, he can't attack a unit in a different location.