Berserk Charge

Agrak

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
During play of ASL Scenario 10 The Citadel early in the game a Russian 4-4-7 goes berserk. All German units in LOS are on other side of water obstacle. There is only one crossing point to the water obstacle on the other side of the map. It isn't clear to me what the Russian unit will do. Will it move towards the only crossing point every turn during its move, presumably seeing other units it still cannot charge? Will it run up to the edge of the water obstacle and shoot? Stay put? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
It will charge the nearest unit in hexes.
Which will bring it to move towards the bridge first, cross it and move towards the closest unit in LOS - if no more in LOS, the last hex where the unit was seen.

A15.43 : ... each non-Melee berserk unit must charge the nearest (in hexes not MF) Known enemy unit in its LOS

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
It will charge the nearest unit in hexes, but it must take the shortest route in MF (A15.431)!

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Because it chooses as its target the nearest in hexes but has to take the shortest route in MF, it may go sideways to a bridge. As it does so another enemy unit may become closer. If so the Berserk unit will change its mind and charge that other enemy unit instead [A15.431].

JR

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Geez, I hope they're current on their cardio. Sounds like it could be a marathon charge.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And be sure to count the MF; maybe the closest route to the enemy involves swimming across the canal :)

JR Brackin

Cardboard Challanged
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I actually did a charge where I had to back to the bridge (2-3) hexes, and then wound up charging the unit I wanted to charge who was now closer. I could not reach him, but survived and got in next turn.

it was funnnnn!

buser333

Reaction score
How would this path change due to SSR5 and the inherent boats the units possess?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
How would this path change due to SSR5 and the inherent boats the units possess?
Only the Germans possess inherent boats. A berserk Soviet unit has no boats to change its path. If a German unit went Berserk it would treat the canal MF cost as eight MF, "all" per the SSR.

JR

Last edited:

WuWei

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Tobias
Country
llGermany
Only the Germans possess inherent boats. A berserk Soviet unit has no boats to change its path. If a German unit went Berserk it would treat the canal MF cost as eight MF, "all" per the SSR.
As Brian W pointed out, Berserks won't charge through unbridged Water Obstacles, A15.45.
I interpret it that they only charge through Water Obstacles using bridges, nothing else. But it's not 100% clear.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
As Brian W pointed out, Berserks won't charge through unbridged Water Obstacles, A15.45.
I interpret it that they only charge through Water Obstacles using bridges, nothing else. But it's not 100% clear.
Fair enough. My guess is that in most cases the eight MF plus cost plus two (or more) to come out on the other side means that they are headed for the bridge anyway. The Soviets are going across the bridge no matter what. There could be cases where Germans use inherent boats if that is allowed.

JR

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's a question, though:

Say my 'zerkies are charging a KEU from one side of a Water Obstacle, heading for the only bridge crossing that obstacle. Say further that the bridge is destroyed before the 'zerkies get to it. What happens to them, assuming there are KEU which either are, or become Known?

Shot

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I would think they charge the nearest KEU.

Seems analagous to a sniper or booby trap eliminating the Zerker's target.

Crazy is still crazy.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's a question, though:

Say my 'zerkies are charging a KEU from one side of a Water Obstacle, heading for the only bridge crossing that obstacle. Say further that the bridge is destroyed before the 'zerkies get to it. What happens to them, assuming there are KEU which either are, or become Known?

Shot
Mis-understood your Q. I inadvertently inserted "no" between "are & KEU" in your last sentence when I initially read it. Maj Domo is absolutely correct, as soon as a KEU becomes closer (in MF) they would redirect their charge towards that KEU. Since there would be no access to the far side, any KEU on the near side of the river would probably become a closer KEU regardless of the hex distance to the KEU on the far side.

Bad Dice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe I needed to be a bit clearer. The only KEU are on the other side of the WO. With no way to cross, what happens to the 'zerkies?

BD

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Maybe I needed to be a bit clearer
As I posted earlier, read A15.45, which directs you to A15.44, which tells you that the unit is Battle Hardened instead of going Berserk.