Berserk and Residual Firepower

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
This happened last night and I'm not sure if we did it right or wrong.

A US half squad ( Enemy ) - R4 in pic below - assault moves one hex, suffers a MC, rolls snakes, then rolls 9 - berserk. He then charges the closest German, 3 hexes away - R1.

This German unit has already been the subject of a Berserk unit charge and there is 6 ResFP in the hex in front of it and in the unit's hex - see pic below.
( I removed the first/final markers to make it easier to see )

According to the SASL rules, an enemy unit will not enter a hex with >= 4 ResFP with the exception - if the FP is in/ADJACENT to FRIENDLY VPO.

Since the Berserk unit can't enter the target unit's hex, does the Berserk unit actually charge the crew? Does it charge the crew but go around - R3 to S3 to S2 ( avoiding R2 with 6 Res FP ) and stop since it can't enter R1? Or since it still has MFs when it reaches S2, does it charge S1 instead?

Or since it's Berserk, their only desire is to see their enemy's blood spewing from their mangled corpse, does it ignore the Res FP and just charge R1 directly?

We could not find an exception to the >=4 Residual FP restriction in the SASL rules and could not find anything in the ASL rules, so we were thinking it would charge the hex ( R1 ) but go around and stop in S2.

At the same time we were thinking it didn't seem right ( as they're BERSERK ). So we left it up to a die roll.

It charged R1 directly - both Res FP had no effect, the FPF of the crew no effect, the SFF from the stack in S1 no effect, the 4-6-7 in R0 had no effect (both FF and SFF).

It came down to an 8-0 shot from a 2 squad fire group. I rolled a 3 which was also a sniper activation for the US. Yes it did activate - rolled a 2. Which hit my 9-1 stack. Yes the 9-1 was hit. Yes he died from his wound. Was it worth it? I've died so many times what's another one.

It was probably not correct but it was fun.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This happened last night and I'm not sure if we did it right or wrong.

A US half squad ( Enemy ) - R4 in pic below - assault moves one hex, suffers a MC, rolls snakes, then rolls 9 - berserk. He then charges the closest German, 3 hexes away - R1.

This German unit has already been the subject of a Berserk unit charge and there is 6 ResFP in the hex in front of it and in the unit's hex - see pic below.
( I removed the first/final markers to make it easier to see )

View attachment 18316

According to the SASL rules, an enemy unit will not enter a hex with >= 4 ResFP with the exception - if the FP is in/ADJACENT to FRIENDLY VPO.

Since the Berserk unit can't enter the target unit's hex, does the Berserk unit actually charge the crew? Does it charge the crew but go around - R3 to S3 to S2 ( avoiding R2 with 6 Res FP ) and stop since it can't enter R1? Or since it still has MFs when it reaches S2, does it charge S1 instead?

Or since it's Berserk, their only desire is to see their enemy's blood spewing from their mangled corpse, does it ignore the Res FP and just charge R1 directly?

We could not find an exception to the >=4 Residual FP restriction in the SASL rules and could not find anything in the ASL rules, so we were thinking it would charge the hex ( R1 ) but go around and stop in S2.

At the same time we were thinking it didn't seem right ( as they're BERSERK ). So we left it up to a die roll.

It charged R1 directly - both Res FP had no effect, the FPF of the crew no effect, the SFF from the stack in S1 no effect, the 4-6-7 in R0 had no effect (both FF and SFF).

It came down to an 8-0 shot from a 2 squad fire group. I rolled a 3 which was also a sniper activation for the US. Yes it did activate - rolled a 2. Which hit my 9-1 stack. Yes the 9-1 was hit. Yes he died from his wound. Was it worth it? I've died so many times what's another one.

It was probably not correct but it was fun.
The Berserk unit will conduct an automatic action (i.e. Berserk Charge per S6.301 & A15.43). Once this action has been determined the restrictions you mentioned no longer apply to the Berserk unit and he will charge using the stipulations put forth in A15.43-15.432.

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
The Berserk unit will conduct an automatic action (i.e. Berserk Charge per S6.301 & A15.43). Once this action has been determined the restrictions you mentioned no longer apply to the Berserk unit and he will charge using the stipulations put forth in A15.43-15.432.
Right, I agree with this. But where does it say the restrictions in 9.26 no longer apply?

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
Never mind - I found it in 15.45. The last sentence - "However, a berserk unit will move into minefields, FFE/Wire during a charge." If it's going to ignore minefields/FFE/Wire, it'll ignore Residual FP. Missed that the other night.

Thanks for your help.