Berlin SASL

simonsimple

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hello,
Has anyone tried playing the Berlin SASL material from CH Annual Number 2? I know it's "experimental" but I was wondering if it's still playable/enjoyable.
Thanks

simonsimple

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thanks, do you happen to know which version/edition of Berlin they were tested with? A huge HASL with SASL rules is really interesting but I don't want to end up buying the newest if they're not compatible with the SASL. I'm guessing I'd need both parts 1 and 2.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They were tested with both the 1st and 2nd printing editions, as well as with the still in work Greater Berlin project rules that are still under play testing themselves. I do NOT believe they were playtested with any other printed versions of the rules. So you could use them equally well with either 1st or 2nd edition.

Please be aware that both Berlin FTR and Berlin: Final Days, as well as Tyrants Lair had several errata issues, and most were not addressed in any way. When our playtest development group tried to work with Ray Tapio on developing a better and play tested with all errors fixed version - Ray dumped on us all and just published a proofing copy of the first revision draft as " New 3rd Edition rules" - something he is infamous for. So we cut our ties ,and began serious work on an independent project. The author of the SASL rules set for Berlin is part of our group. These were developed and submitted before the split - they may have references that do not necessarily coincide with any CH - version of the rules in a few minor cases ( but this will be doubtful to affect anything, at the time, the issues were clarifications and erratacizing, rather than the major changes since then.). You could never keep Ray from publishing on a hair trigger, just to get some bucks, irrespective of whether the product was ready or not. Why we cut ties and went our own way.

Hope that helps!

KRL, Jon H

simonsimple

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thanks for the great info! Are you guys planning to put out any other SASL stuff or are you submitting to MMP?
Since I'm hungry for any new SASL I can get my hands on I'll keep my eyes open for bargains on the early Berlin modules or maybe I'll get lucky and MMP will publish some of the other SASLHASLs (HASLSASLs?) they seem to have in the wings.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the great info! Are you guys planning to put out any other SASL stuff or are you submitting to MMP?
Since I'm hungry for any new SASL I can get my hands on I'll keep my eyes open for bargains on the early Berlin modules or maybe I'll get lucky and MMP will publish some of the other SASLHASLs (HASLSASLs?) they seem to have in the wings.
howdy!

" us guys" are a group of now numbering 5 dedicated to the cause Berlin aficionados who formed a working group to clean up and erratacize the mess Ray made of 1st and 2nd edition rules in the Berlin HASL modules. We have had others in the recent past who have helped and assisted along the way, as the group grew. Finally, with Ray Tapio doing what he did to poison our relationship with CH - we moved on into our own. The group is known as OSDG. We have expanded the original concept into a "super-sized" greater Berlin monster HASL, which now has 4 additional mapsheets under development to add in the Alexanderplatz / Zoo Flak Tower, the Templehof Airfield and Tiergarten,the Kurfurstendamm area and the rest of Sector A above the Humboldt turning basin. There is a new monster CG spanning the entire fighting from 4-25-45 to final surrender on 5-3-45. RGs have been developed and established for the 9th FJ ; the Munbcheburg PzDiv; the 6th SS Nord; the SS Charlemagne Brigade; the 11th Pz Div; and the 34th Neiderlander SS PzGr Div units which fought in these areas, along with expansions for all 5 Soviet armies attacking in the final push to end fighting in Berlin. There are also 5 geo map scenarios and 3 HASL map scenarios of varying sizes to introduce the new rules. There are new rules sections prepared, including new structures and terrain types.

Finally, there is a SASL CG set of missions set within a choice of the units here to depict the last week of fighting in Greater Berlin.

The project has varying parts under design/development, under play testing, under proofing, and is still planned to be submitted to a publisher in 2020 if we get it all done by then. We will not be submitting it to CH, however. It will be an expansion to the CH Berlin maps, but nothing in CH Berlin stuff will be necessary to own prior to this item beyond the maps for Berlin I and II.

I have no idea if MMP will be interested, we are not going to pitch this as a full submission until it is ready for such and all the prelim work is complete. ( ie +/- 90% ready for final proofing). We will pitch it at that time to the publishers we feel will best be of service to the ASL community as a whole in producing such a monster item.

KRL, Jon H

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
howdy!

" us guys" are a group of now numbering 5 dedicated to the cause Berlin aficionados who formed a working group to clean up and erratacize the mess Ray made of 1st and 2nd edition rules in the Berlin HASL modules. We have had others in the recent past who have helped and assisted along the way, as the group grew. Finally, with Ray Tapio doing what he did to poison our relationship with CH - we moved on into our own. The group is known as OSDG. We have expanded the original concept into a "super-sized" greater Berlin monster HASL, which now has 4 additional mapsheets under development to add in the Alexanderplatz / Zoo Flak Tower, the Templehof Airfield and Tiergarten,the Kurfurstendamm area and the rest of Sector A above the Humboldt turning basin. There is a new monster CG spanning the entire fighting from 4-25-45 to final surrender on 5-3-45. RGs have been developed and established for the 9th FJ ; the Munbcheburg PzDiv; the 6th SS Nord; the SS Charlemagne Brigade; the 11th Pz Div; and the 34th Neiderlander SS PzGr Div units which fought in these areas, along with expansions for all 5 Soviet armies attacking in the final push to end fighting in Berlin. There are also 5 geo map scenarios and 3 HASL map scenarios of varying sizes to introduce the new rules. There are new rules sections prepared, including new structures and terrain types.

Finally, there is a SASL CG set of missions set within a choice of the units here to depict the last week of fighting in Greater Berlin.

The project has varying parts under design/development, under play testing, under proofing, and is still planned to be submitted to a publisher in 2020 if we get it all done by then. We will not be submitting it to CH, however. It will be an expansion to the CH Berlin maps, but nothing in CH Berlin stuff will be necessary to own prior to this item beyond the maps for Berlin I and II.

I have no idea if MMP will be interested, we are not going to pitch this as a full submission until it is ready for such and all the prelim work is complete. ( ie +/- 90% ready for final proofing). We will pitch it at that time to the publishers we feel will best be of service to the ASL community as a whole in producing such a monster item.

KRL, Jon H
Wow, just absolutely Wow! This is going to be huge.

I hope that you can sustain the pace to see this through release.

jtsjc1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
howdy!

KRL, Jon H
I couldn't have put it better Jon. I was helping Edo with research and when Ray pulled his s@#% I got really ticked off' You guys did a great job rewriting rules, playtesting etc and for him to do that was low class. After that I never bought anything from CH. I'll be keeping up with what you're doing and thanks for being dedicated.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wow, just absolutely Wow! This is going to be huge.

I hope that you can sustain the pace to see this through release.
I hope we can as well. to this point, progress has been fairly good, so although there is still a LOT of work involved, the target date seems still reasonable overall.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I couldn't have put it better Jon. I was helping Edo with research and when Ray pulled his s@#% I got really ticked off' You guys did a great job rewriting rules, playtesting etc and for him to do that was low class. After that I never bought anything from CH. I'll be keeping up with what you're doing and thanks for being dedicated.
Joe's been a big help along the way do far. For myself- I look at this as completing the Magnum Opus of two ASL players I respect who are both now inactive in the hobby as life has moved on. Perhaps they might return, perhaps not. Irrespective, finishing this project is my way of telling these guys, and everyoneelse who pitched in along the way, thanks. :)

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah very cool! I for one love monster items when SASL in involved :).
I like the idea of Jorgen's " simultaneous" SASL HALS CG stuff. you can take any of a number of involved formations and fight on the HASL mapsheets in actions that depict to a large degree the flavor of larger full -blown 2 player CGs.

Thanks for the positivity. :)

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
Blimey! At $79 I am not about to spend money on this. All I want is the rules etc. Is there no cheaper option?