Berliet VUDB

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
My latest interesting find: the Berliet VUDB. Used by the French Foreign Legion in North Africa, and by the Belgian Gendarme.
FR17a Berliot VUDB.png FR17a Berliot VUDB b.png

When carrying Passengers, one LMG can be operated as a 2 FP BMG without Mounted Fire penalties. Armed Passengers can conduct Mounted Fire (NA VCA) normally even though they are Buttoned Up.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
17b Berliet VUDB:
Designed to carry a Rifle Squad the VUDB had slits for use as firing ports, it served mainly in Africa but some saw action in France in 1940.
† When carrying Passengers, one LMG can be operated as a 2 FP BMG without Mounted Fire penalties.
† Passengers may conduct Mounted Fire (NA VCA) normally while Buttoned Up.
† Up to 3 LMG may be used by passengers of this vehilce.
† It costs double the movement cost to load or unload from this vehicle.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"...rifle squad..." no caps not a proper name.
"...North Africa with the French Foreign Legion..." "Africa" is to much of an over generalization.
Dagger 2 add ref. to the Mount Fire rule Dxxxx
Dagger 3 "...Passengers in this vehicle..., as signified by "LMGx 3" on the counter.
Dagger 4 "(Un)loading to/from this vehicle costs double, as signified by "(un)load x 2" on the counter.

ISSUE. I do not see how a HS 5PP could then posses 3x LMG at 3PP total. Likewise a HS can only fire 1 LMG.

ISSUE. the blurb says it carries a rifle squad...that is not 5PP that is more like 10PP (min) and it should be 13PP so as to be able to even have 3 LMG loaded up as PP...????

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"...rifle squad..." no caps not a proper name.
"...North Africa with the French Foreign Legion..." "Africa" is to much of an over generalization.
Dagger 2 add ref. to the Mount Fire rule Dxxxx
Dagger 3 "...Passengers in this vehicle..., as signified by "LMGx 3" on the counter.
Dagger 4 "(Un)loading to/from this vehicle costs double, as signified by "(un)load x 2" on the counter.

ISSUE. I do not see how a HS 5PP could then posses 3x LMG at 3PP total. Likewise a HS can only fire 1 LMG.

ISSUE. the blurb says it carries a rifle squad...that is not 5PP that is more like 10PP (min) and it should be 13PP so as to be able to even have 3 LMG loaded up as PP...????
I agree with most of what you say. I'm just trying to cram logic into the notes for the counter as is.
I dislike the idea that a squad coukd use 3 SW.
The blurb is trawled from the internet so is very unreliable. The main reason I'm posting these is to get feedback to improve them.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Is it significant that the first search that showed up for this vehicle was this thread?

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
17b Berliet VUDB:
Designed to carry a rifle squad the VUDB had slits for use as firing ports, it served mainly in North Africa with the French Foreign Legion but some saw action in France in 1940.
† When carrying Passengers, one LMG can be operated as a 2 FP BMG.
† Contrary to D6.22 the passengers of this vehicle amy use up to 3 LMG as Mounted fire. One as a BMG operated by the crew and two others operated by the passengers.
† (Un)loading to/from this vehicle costs double, as signified by "(un)load × 2" on the counter.

Changed it to havew the crew operate one L<MG as a BMG which gets round the 3 SW problem but we still have a problem with the portage capacity.
@footsteps do you want to ammend this? I have no idea of the actual passenger capacity.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with most of what you say. I'm just trying to cram logic into the notes for the counter as is.
I dislike the idea that a squad coukd use 3 SW.
The blurb is trawled from the internet so is very unreliable. The main reason I'm posting these is to get feedback to improve them.
I was just point out logic failure in the blurb you had originally, "Up to 3 LMG may be used by passengers of this vehicle." I am not advocating for 3 MG use. Just pointing out issues.

I was trying to improve them.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
17b Berliet VUDB:
Designed to carry a rifle squad the VUDB had slits for use as firing ports, it served mainly in North Africa with the French Foreign Legion but some saw action in France in 1940.
† When carrying Passengers, one LMG can be operated as a 2 FP BMG.
† Contrary to D6.22 the passengers of this vehicle amy use up to 3 LMG as Mounted fire. One as a BMG operated by the crew and two others operated by the passengers.
† (Un)loading to/from this vehicle costs double, as signified by "(un)load × 2" on the counter.

Changed it to havew the crew operate one L<MG as a BMG which gets round the 3 SW problem but we still have a problem with the portage capacity.
@footsteps do you want to ammend this? I have no idea of the actual passenger capacity.
Passengers to get caps each time in dagger 3...ASL speak.
Also you need a dagger that says when the Passengers (un)loads they may immediately transfer/regain possession of one LMG to/from the crew. Or something that addresses who this mechanic takes place and what parameters are allowed...or not allowed.
Also dagger that when the crew operates such a LMG it is considered the vehicle's MA for all purposes [EXC: MA Recall].

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also you should spell out what VUDB means in the main section above the daggers.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Also you should spell out what VUDB means in the main section above the daggers.
I would if I could find that out!

Seriously, many thanks for your input.
You may be searching in vain. Prompted by memory of the origin of the Renault FT-17's "FT", which was an arbitrary internal Renault code meaning absolutely nothing, the VUDB may simply be an internal company code. I looked at the Berliet Wiki entry and it had listed many products with designations of CBA, VB, VI, VRC, VM, VRK, VK and those were civilian interwar vehicles.

If VUDB was an official army code I would have expected something like XYZ 35 with XYZ being a function description and 35 being the year of acceptance like AMR 33 being Automitrailleuse de Reconnaissance Renault Modèle 1933. The AMR 33 was known within Renault as the "VM", the slightly later AMR 35 being known as the "ZT".

I will admit all the above is speculation and I could well be talking out of my nether regions, but that is my best guess. Sometimes names mean nothing.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My latest interesting find: the Berliet VUDB. Used by the French Foreign Legion in North Africa, and by the Belgian Gendarme.
View attachment 2290View attachment 2291

When carrying Passengers, one LMG can be operated as a 2 FP BMG without Mounted Fire penalties. Armed Passengers can conduct Mounted Fire (NA VCA) normally even though they are Buttoned Up.
Might as well add this counter--when finished with any proposed revisions, to the upcoming PTO set.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I would guess that VUDB stands for : véhicule utilitaire de découverte blindé...

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do yiou have a real picture of it? Looks like a half track for half squads or gun crews....