Beer and WWII

T34

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llFrance
Did you know that Americans started canning beer in order to supply GI's during WWII who couldn't stomach British ale? While I think that most ASL players shun 3.2% canned lager (albeit enjoying somewhat more comfortable surroundings), the military shipped canned beer across the Atlantic, making it low in alcohol to prevent trouble on post and appease tee-tootlers back in the States.

These cans are highly collectable today, because metal was precious and cans were generally recycled.

Germans, on the other hand, generally drank their beer in glass bottles...

Why does this picture make me think of Pete Phillips?

German WWII beer steins are also very collectible, but generally are adorned with Swastikas and SS bolts.

M.Koch

Grenadier TD
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Germans, on the other hand, generally drank their beer in glass bottles...
And still do it today... because we know it better;)

jyoung

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Off topic, but why the blankets on the trails of the gun? They didn't want to spill beer on them?

T34

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llFrance
If, as Benjamin Franklin said, Beer is proof that there is a God and He wants us to be happy, then canned beer is an affront to God. Beer is meant to be ZUM FASS!

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does this mean that a "TI" counter also doubles as a 'Totally Intoxicated' counter?
Or that drunken squads get a "+1" to their CC DR?

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can anyone identify the brand of beer the Germans are drinking, seems like a pretty clear picture.?

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
That isn't necessarily beer - Germans had soft drinks during the war, juices, ginger beer, etc. and 'treats' got sold through unit canteens.

Fanta, of course, became famous.

AdrianE

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The wreck of the Rio de Janerio Maru in Chuuk Lagoon has an entire cargo hold filled with beer bottles as do some of the other wrecks.
What's weird is they have "Dai Nippon Brewing Company" on the bottles in English. The beer was apparently part of the rations for the military.

Reactions: T34

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That isn't necessarily beer - Germans had soft drinks during the war, juices, ginger beer, etc. and 'treats' got sold through unit canteens.

View attachment 14856

Fanta, of course, became famous.

View attachment 14857
I never knew that Fanta was a German company. That was a very popular 'pop' that sold in the Toledo area in the 70's. Fanta was everywhere. Soda was not called soda but pop.

Around '78, a soon to be good friend moved up from Florida and said that pop was called soda where he is from and since I have not lived in Toledo since 1980 I call it soda as well.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Fanta root beer and the Pop Shoppe were a big part of life in 1970s Calgary.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I never knew that Fanta was a German company. That was a very popular 'pop' that sold in the Toledo area in the 70's. Fanta was everywhere. Soda was not called soda but pop.

Around '78, a soon to be good friend moved up from Florida and said that pop was called soda where he is from and since I have not lived in Toledo since 1980 I call it soda as well.
Tend to use pop, soda and soda pop interchangeably, much like dinner and supper. Haven't seen Fanta in years.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
There's one 30 miles from your place :LOL:
Used to get their $7.99 special. Phoned in order one day with one extra topping, clerk says $25.99!! I told him only wanted one pizza. He said $25.99. I said forget about it. Got a call a couple minutes later from the manager, thought he was going to say that it was a mistake. No, price was $25.99 and why was I giving the clerk a hard time? Last time I tried to order from Domino's. Btw the extra topping was sausage, not truffles. ☹☹

T34

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llFrance
I can make better pizza than domino's without using my hands. I wouldn't wish it on a bunch of SS reenactors. Given a choice between domino's and pizza created with ingredients from a 5 mile radius of Chernyobl, I prefer Chernyobl--with the works.

T34

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Country
llFrance