Beep in replay

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The last replay I watched had two rather strange "beep" sounds in it ... sounds crazy, but there it is. Anyone ever heard of something like that? What might it be?

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thank you - Are you sure? I am surprised that "undo" shouldn't be automatically disabled in a PBEM game .... using it would, in my opinion, come close to cheating. Is it generally accepted that "undo" can be used in PBEM? :surprise:

m5000

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
yes, it may often be regarded as cheating, especially if someone does it close to the frontline, because there, every move is usually significant and may influence the situation on the front, besides, it can be used to cancel the effect of aircraft interdiction, if e.g you move and airplanes attack your unit, you can undo the move and next time they probably won't

but sometimes you can make a silly move e.g. moving lots of units really fast, if it's away from the frontline and probably desn't influence situation on the front, then i think that one or two undos wouldn't be a problem, but personally, i don't do it and don't like it when my opponents do it beacuse it always smells like cheating

anyway, whether or not use it depends on the players, it's a good idea to discuss such things with your opponent before starting the scenario and decide on a set of house rules - dos and don't - to avoid possible future misunderstanding :)

m5000

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
just an extra thought, it reminds of an informal rule often used while playing board wargames - that you can change your move as long as you're still touching the counter with your finger, but once your finger's come away from the counter, you can't modify the move :)

Secadegas

Reaction score
Country
llPortugal
When PBEM if you use the undo button you should advise your opponent and explain the reason of its use.

Using the undo due to a nervous finger isn't really a problem. Using it constantly is strange (to say the least...)

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
m5000 said:
just an extra thought, it reminds of an informal rule often used while playing board wargames - that you can change your move as long as you're still touching the counter with your finger, but once your finger's come away from the counter, you can't modify the move :)
:laugh: Thanks for the memory jog! I can still remember a guy on a team we were playing Europa against, who's arm would get tired all the time from doing this, LOL!

L`zard

Strangely Deranged!
Reaction score
Secadegas said:
When PBEM if you use the undo button you should advise your opponent and explain the reason of its use.

Using the undo due to a nervous finger isn't really a problem. Using it constantly is strange (to say the least...)
Exactamundo!

Otherwise, those pesky ant-size breakdown recon units turn into 'super-friends' when it comes to to Intell.

I doubt than anyone except a complete freshman to this game would even consider doing such, but it's a thing to mention in the pre-log to a pbem, eh?

This is probably one of the cases where 'not knowing' such things are illegal is not a player's fault as much as his teacher's!

With the advent of ToaW 3, this info may need to be spread around a bit amounst the 'young', :surprise: , everyone learns somewhere, eh?

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
In PBEM play, the bottom line is: don't do undos. Keep pets, children and wives away from the keyboard while playing and live with your wrong moves :smoke:

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
nemo said:
In PBEM play, the bottom line is: don't do undos. Keep pets, children and wives away from the keyboard while playing and live with your wrong moves :smoke:
Exactly, so if you do any undos, immediately undo them! ;) :clown:

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
nemo said:
That's what I always thought. So many things get messed up in real war and the degree of control we have in the games is unreal anyway, having to live with own errors is entirely acceptable.

But that's exactly why I am wondering that "undo" is even possible in PBEM. Especially considering all the sometimes really irritating "anti-cheat" features that have been put into TOAW3. Disabling "undo" would have been my first thought in this context. :surprise:

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Heldenkaiser said:
Disabling "undo" would have been my first thought in this context. :surprise:
Yeah. I for one wouldn't miss the feature in PBEM play.
Should be kept solely for hotseat play or against the PO for testing and scenario debugging purposes.

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I wouldn't miss it, too. Though i have occasionally used it when i did something silly by accident, i.e. moving a whole stack instead of one single unit by missing it with the mouse cursor. I have to confess... Absolution, please.. :halo:

Hank2

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I get moves all the time with beeps and restarts. If I suspect someone is cheating I don't play them again. I've even finished games with people who I suspect is cheating ... this is in other wargames not toaw.

I'm the person Heldenkaiser is talking about. My computer's graphic card is going out on me and on some moves the map jumps or splits and the unit does not go to the hex its suppose to. Sometimes it even goes the opposite way. Its a problem I have to fix but $ is a factor.

I suppose I'm more concerned about my reputation than a record. Our game is over because I have one general rule ... if somebody suspects I'm cheating the game is over. I don't need somebody blaming a loss on me cheating. As I mentioned in my email to H, I play for fun and education. I don't need to worry somebody thinks I'm cheating when it against my constitution.

later

m5000

Reaction score
Country
llPoland
Heldenkaiser said:
...Disabling "undo" would have been my first thought in this context. :surprise:
that's right, this should be the first anti-cheating move

but on the other hand, when someone does it, then we will know from the beeps in the replay, so it's a specific kind of cheating, a cheating that everyone will know about anyway, that's probably why they didn't change it

and if someone constantly reloaded in the past we couldn't know about it and that's probably why they added this very annoying we-close-the program-when-you-save feature :D

Last edited:

Heldenkaiser

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hank2 said:
I'm the person Heldenkaiser is talking about. My computer's graphic card is going out on me and on some moves the map jumps or splits and the unit does not go to the hex its suppose to. Sometimes it even goes the opposite way. Its a problem I have to fix but $ is a factor.

I suppose I'm more concerned about my reputation than a record. Our game is over because I have one general rule ... if somebody suspects I'm cheating the game is over. I don't need somebody blaming a loss on me cheating. As I mentioned in my email to H, I play for fun and education. I don't need to worry somebody thinks I'm cheating when it against my constitution.
John,

As I said in my email to you sent a moment ago, I do not in any way suspect you of cheating. The thought didn't even occur to me. Nor do I believe I said anything to this effect in my prior email where I mentioned the "beeps".

As I did already in my last email, I hereby offer also in public my apologies for anything that you may have understood as suggesting that you were cheating. I am perfectly convinced you are not. I am just not used to seeing an "undo" function at work in a PBEM, nor to getting crazy sounds in a replay that make me wonder if my computer is just quitting on me. :OHNO:

And PLEASE let us continue this game that I enjoy enormously.

Regards,
DS

Dicke Bertha

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The first TOAW generations I think I played on old machines with only motherboard graphics - I actually think I got my first stick-in graphics (a 32 MB) much later. Does anyone know if TOAW3 is playable without graphic card?

Edit: Hank2, do you know if you can set a choice in your BIOS, play with motherboard graphics, or external graphics card. A wild suggestion from someone who doesn't know much about the ¤#"@GRRR&/%&%&%¤puters... :)

Last edited:

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I'll have to check when I get home but I doubt my modest laptop has anything even remotely close to a high-end graphic card, if it has any at all. Doesn't prevent it from smoothly running TOAW 3.

Telumar

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
nemo said:
I'll have to check when I get home but I doubt my modest laptop has anything even remotely close to a high-end graphic card, if it has any at all. Doesn't prevent it from smoothly running TOAW 3.
Ah, my laptop (and it's an old one - 800Mhz, 256 MB RAM) has also just some kind of on-board graphic with 8 MB Ram. I think in such cases the RAM for the graphics is taken from the normal Ram. In most BIOS'es you can also adjust AGP aperture (or so-no, i won't reboot to look for the correct name) size, which means the amount of additional RAM granted the graphic card from the normal RAM.
No problem with ACoW and TOAW3 on this laptop

@Hank2 : I think an old, obsolete second hand graphic card would do it for toaw3 - they should be cheap.

Hank2 said:
I suppose I'm more concerned about my reputation than a record. Our game is over because I have one general rule ... if somebody suspects I'm cheating the game is over
Heldenkaiser didn't say you were cheating, so no need to cancel a game.

m5000 said:
yes, it may often be regarded as cheating
m5000 was the first one who used the word cheating and his statement also wasn't targeted neither against you nor someone else.

Ts, and all this because the undo button is active during PBEM.. come on, let's :toast: and :hurray: .

nemo

-. . -- ---
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Telumar said:
Ah, my laptop (and it's an old one - 800Mhz, 256 MB RAM) has also just some kind of on-board graphic with 8 MB Ram. I think in such cases the RAM for the graphics is taken from the normal Ram. In most BIOS'es you can also adjust AGP aperture (or so-no, i won't reboot to look for the correct name) size, which means the amount of additional RAM granted the graphic card from the normal RAM.
No problem with ACoW and TOAW3 on this laptop
Yeah, just checked with mine, it has no graphic card either - but it's water-proof :D

@Hank2 : I think an old, obsolete second hand graphic card would do it for toaw3 - they should be cheap.

Heldenkaiser didn't say you were cheating, so no need to cancel a game.

m5000 was the first one who used the word cheating and his statement also wasn't targeted neither against you nor someone else.

Ts, and all this because the undo button is active during PBEM.. come on, let's :toast: and :hurray: .
Ditto, beers and pom-pom girls included!