Been playing again lately

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been playing again lately, even hosted a 2-player network game the other night. This game just keeps going, and going, and going.

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
It would be nice if there were a v5 to get some momentum going in the TacOps community again. Don't know if we'll ever see that or not.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There seems to be an up-tick in activity on the mailing list of late as well, but unfortunately that does not corellate with any develpoment of a commercial v5. MajorH would have to comment on that.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey Fred,

The most recent version, albeit a few years old by now, is v4.0.6 [AH] which has a handfull of WWII platforms. I did some PzIV vs some T-70, T-34, and 76mm ATG yesterday for kicks. Had to remind myself to limit the engagement range for each unit as they were apparently engaging well beyond effective range.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks. I haven't played TACOPS in a long time. A full up WWII variant might have made me want tot try it again.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
If there ever is a TacOps V, it really, REALLY needs to have a proper scenario editor and a standardized map generator.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If there ever is a TacOps V, it really, REALLY needs to have a proper scenario editor and a standardized map generator.
Well. Not quite necessarily.

Panzer Command did instead of providing an editor with the initial release specify the map and scenario format, and used XML so that it can be comparably safely read and written between game and user. The plan was to have an editor some time after release. The way it went somebody came up with a usable editor within a couple of weeks and it was so good it now is the official editor.

I also have to remind people that for every stupid Quake clone we get the format specs and can do our own editors, and people actually do.

ETA: the real issue here is the programmed opponent of course, but that's a much more complex issue.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Sure, if the system was modified so that new equipment and vehicles could be added via XML, that would be wonderful. But, as you mentioned, the programmed opponent is just as important. There really ought to be a better way to handle that.

As for the map editor, this really wouldn't be all that difficult to do once the base graphic tiles were created. And this is something that could be conceivably done by the community. As you say, just look at the level of complexity in some of the mod projects done by the community for other sorts of games.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure, if the system was modified so that new equipment and vehicles could be added via XML, that would be wonderful. But, as you mentioned, the programmed opponent is just as important. There really ought to be a better way to handle that.

As for the map editor, this really wouldn't be all that difficult to do once the base graphic tiles were created. And this is something that could be conceivably done by the community. As you say, just look at the level of complexity in some of the mod projects done by the community for other sorts of games.
I specifically meant the map and scenario files are XML files. That solved the Panzer Command map editor problem in a snap.

Doesn't necessarily mean that any other data needs to be exposed.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I specifically meant the map and scenario files are XML files. That solved the Panzer Command map editor problem in a snap.
Has HPS released a map editor for PzC, or is this something the community came up with? I've said it before and I'll say it again: until PzC has a proper map editor, I won't touch it again.

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Again, Panzer Command (Matrix, not HPS) was released without a map and scenario editor. The intention was to deliver one later. Maps and scenarios were XML files. That enabled a random user to write one in a few weeks. By now it is the standard editor, the publisher never released a different one.