The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Good evening,

I have a remake of the Beda Fomm battle,...without the Australians and Matilda tanks. I'm billing it as a semi-historical fight as I am compressing the map to cover most of the battlefield in roughly 2500 metres by 1600 metres. I am also squeezing the time scale a bit in trying to show the evolution of the 3 day battle in a 50+ variable length scenario.

It starts off as a medium size battle on a large map but will quickly grow as the Italians organize themselves for the breakout attempt. The British blocking force has also called for help and reinforcements are en route.

If you are interested send me a note and I'll email the scenario.

Cheers and thanks. :)

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Not for the Timid

February 1941 in the desert,...the Italian 10th Army is trapped and preparing for the breakout. Down the road is the British blocking force and there are reports of Britis armour roaming about. Clear the road...Save the 10th Army! Or,...command The Rifle Brigade and 2nd RTR in this classic battle in Africa.

No Tigers,...no T-34s,...no Pershings here. No, no,....no wonder weapons on either side this time. Only the courage of your soldiers and your skill in command will give you victory. What will it be? A last ditch defence that breaks the enemy? Or a desperate attack to sweep the enemy aside and change the fortune of an ill-starred campaign.

What say you!? Are you man eneough? :D

Last edited:

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This looks to be a much more promising scenario than the disk version, and more accurate. :)

British Tommy

Reaction score
Country
ll
reporting for duty!

Sir, I have stepped up to the line and await my command :salute:
Will report back how the battle went....now send me that scenario! :horse:

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you don't hear from The Purist let me know, he's off traveling the world right now. He hasn't posted his remake it but I have a copy of it.

British Tommy

Reaction score
Country
ll
thanks!

Thanks Palantir! :)
Will let you know if I don't hear from him within a few days.
By the way, just sent you a PM concerning the the message board where you can post scenario's ( warfare archives forum ).

ivanmoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does anyone know if a" Beda Fomm Remake" ever actually emerged?

If so, I'd genuinely appreciate a hint as to where it might be found. :)

Moe

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
A few years ago I got pilloried and burned in effigy for putting together a set of sorted scenarios for CMAK and CMBB. If you can find the sorted scenarios for CMAK and can remember approximately when the battle occured, you should be able to load the folder of scenarios for that time period to see if it's there.

I'm afraid I can't really look it up because I don't have CMBB or CMAK loaded onto my computer at the moment . (I'm hoping it's all stored along with my notes on my external hard drive).

A version of these files were stored on the Battlefront site at one point, but then were taken down. (Not sure why, but I wasn't visiting that forum much at that point). I'm sure if you do a search there, though, you'll find links to the mod repository that replaced the one that died.

Sorry I can't be more specific because I'm not living in Combat Mission- land at the moment. But I'm sure there are people like Junk-to-Drive or Der Alte Fritz who'll know what I'm talking about.

ivanmoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A few years ago I got pilloried and burned in effigy for putting together a set of sorted scenarios for CMAK and CMBB. If you can find the sorted scenarios for CMAK and can remember approximately when the battle occured, you should be able to load the folder of scenarios for that time period to see if it's there.

I'm afraid I can't really look it up because I don't have CMBB or CMAK loaded onto my computer at the moment . (I'm hoping it's all stored along with my notes on my external hard drive).

A version of these files were stored on the Battlefront site at one point, but then were taken down. (Not sure why, but I wasn't visiting that forum much at that point). I'm sure if you do a search there, though, you'll find links to the mod repository that replaced the one that died.

Sorry I can't be more specific because I'm not living in Combat Mission- land at the moment. But I'm sure there are people like Junk-to-Drive or Der Alte Fritz who'll know what I'm talking about.
Hi Philippe,

Well, that can really be a helluva a deal over there! IIRC, someone dismembered brother "rune" for his work on the CMAK Beda Fomm scenario. And while the critic was factually correct in his analysis, he was so snotty in his presentation that he pretty much lost the exchange, point, set and match. Shame really, excepting this gentleman, "The Purist" appeared to be on track toward getting it right. I'll go looking for the mod. It can be a really cool scenario if you lose the Matildas and Diggers. ;)

Thanks!

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Philippe,

Well, that can really be a helluva a deal over there! IIRC, someone dismembered brother "rune" for his work on the CMAK Beda Fomm scenario. And while the critic was factually correct in his analysis, he was so snotty in his presentation that he pretty much lost the exchange, point, set and match. Shame really, excepting this gentleman, "The Purist" appeared to be on track toward getting it right. I'll go looking for the mod. It can be a really cool scenario if you lose the Matildas and Diggers. ;)

Thanks!
Oh man. This is too funny. I found the thread you are referring too pretty quickly. I suspect the fella who was "so snotty in his presentation" was using one of his multiple accounts because he really sounds familiar.....But I don't know for sure, of course, so I won't bother publicly guessing.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

ivanmoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can't make an intelligent comment as to the ID of the fella posting the criticism of rune, so let me defer in that regard.

What I am willing to state, however, is that the CM game-engine is absolutely perfect for modeling the fighting around the "Pimple," the "Mosque," and southward at the Combe-Force roadblock.

If I can't find the darn "rune-proofed" scenario, I shall have to build one myself.

BTW, AFAIK, there is no bulletproof OOB for the fighting at those locations.

Virtually every time that I source it, I come up with different unit ID and TOE.

Go figure! ;)

In that same vane, perhaps Steve should have deployed CMx2 to the desert (and Operation Compass), rather than Normandy.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Well, that can really be a helluva a deal over there! IIRC, someone dismembered brother "rune" for his work on the CMAK Beda Fomm scenario. And while the critic was factually correct in his analysis, he was so snotty in his presentation that he pretty much lost the exchange, point, set and match.
rune was called to task for his "historical research" on more than one occasion. We had an exchange about his work on a Kapelsche Veer scenario that was similar to what he presented on Beda Fomm. I dont' recall the details now, but I do remember the exchange was somewhat less hostile (we actually parted on that point agreeing, IIRC, to perhaps collaborate on a scenario on the subject at some point in the future after I showed him my references and source material). rune always struck me as a bit over-sensitive to criticism, at least initially when called out, but never really deservedly so, as his research was sometimes lacking, as were his conclusions, if not his sources. None of which makes for a bad scenario, but just come out and say that if you have come up with something that is mostly fantasy, then that's what you've done.

Incidentally, where you are reading snottiness in the critique, I am reading hyper-sensitivity in the response. This sums up the research effort nicely:

So to reiterate, you not only have the wrong units but the wrong NATION attacking in the wrong direction and with the wrong equipment. A fantasy with what appears to be almost no research, indeed I can almost imagine that Australians and Matildas are included because they are 'cool'.
Not sure who Pheasant Plucker was, but he is listed as still active, not banned, so Elvis' innuendo about multiple accounts doesn't hold water.

ivanmoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Incidentally, where you are reading snottiness in the critique, I am reading hyper-sensitivity in the response.
Indeed, brother rune didn't handle it very well. Shooting from the hip like that is never a good idea when your grasp of the particulars appears, at best, sort of tenuous. From the standpoint of someone who played his scenario, I believe that he ruined his work by erring on the side of Matilda. Her presence threw what should have been a bodacious game experience completely out of whack. In rune's defense, though, I have to note that misconceptions regarding the Beda Fomm OOB (historical) are the norm, rather than the exception.

Pheaseant Plucker said:
So to reiterate, you not only have the wrong units but the wrong NATION attacking in the wrong direction and with the wrong equipment. A fantasy with what appears to be almost no research, indeed I can almost imagine that Australians and Matildas are included because they are 'cool'.
PP, lost me with the comment about the Matilda's being thrown in because rune thought that it would be cool. Most folks would forgive rune for sloppy research, but not for insipid design choices. To so publicly accuse him of such, without being able to PROVE it, really undermined Plucker's position in the discussion. He went straight from an exposition of the facts as he understood them, to his interpretation of Combat Mission Scenario as Rorschach Test. Shame really. Form failed him, when the substance of the discussion was all his.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
PP, lost me with the comment about the Matilda's being thrown in because rune thought that it would be cool. Most folks would forgive rune for sloppy research, but not for insipid design choices. To so publicly accuse him of such, without being able to PROVE it, really undermined Plucker's position in the discussion. He went straight from an exposition of the facts as he understood them, to his interpretation of Combat Mission Scenario as Rorschach Test. Shame really. Form failed him, when the substance of the discussion was all his.
Fair point, and well stated. For me he did gain a half point back at least - emotional blackmail though it was - when he said he actually had a relative killed at Beda Fomm!

I believe shell-shocked refers to it as a "grog pissing match" when it comes to the point that you ask for death certificates of fallen relatives to prove your credentials, however. :laugh:

ivanmoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Fair point, and well stated. For me he did gain a half point back at least - emotional blackmail though it was - when he said he actually had a relative killed at Beda Fomm!

I believe shell-shocked refers to it as a "grog pissing match" when it comes to the point that you ask for death certificates of fallen relatives to prove your credentials, however. :laugh:
Yeah, that's drilling deeper into terra familia than perhaps any of us should demand. Seriously, though, your comment likely belies at least part of what ails our hobby. It was that sort of connection, to a fallen relative, a war-bride mother, or a father who had served (but who wouldn't talk about his service) that spurred such acute interest in the events of WW2 among a younger generation. Now that they're leaving us, and the connection is being broken, I have to question whether or not the drama and sacrifice that were so central to their lives will be reduced to history/archaeology. If so, it's a darn shame.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not sure who Pheasant Plucker was, but he is listed as still active, not banned, so Elvis' innuendo about multiple accounts doesn't hold water.
Oh man. This is too funny. I found the thread you are referring too pretty quickly. I suspect the fella who was "so snotty in his presentation" was using one of his multiple accounts because he really sounds familiar.....But I don't know for sure, of course, so I won't bother publicly guessing.
I re-posted what I said to make it easier for you to find where I mentioned someone who was "banned". Just said he/she sounded very much like someone I have seen posting there with multiple accounts.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Yeah, that's drilling deeper into terra familia than perhaps any of us should demand. Seriously, though, your comment likely belies at least part of what ails our hobby. It was that sort of connection, to a fallen relative, a war-bride mother, or a father who had served (but who wouldn't talk about his service) that spurred such acute interest in the events of WW2 among a younger generation. Now that they're leaving us, and the connection is being broken, I have to question whether or not the drama and sacrifice that were so central to their lives will be reduced to history/archaeology. If so, it's a darn shame.
I think the greater shame is that while the Second World War was universally hailed as a necessary conflict, and the sacrifices as righteous (even Germans have convinced themselves that their soldiers were fighting out of necessity, and I can't say I blame them for grasping that particular straw), veterans of conflicts like Vietnam and particularly Iraq are now facing less moral acceptance. Which is too bad. Family members for years put Vietnam veterans and their memories in a deep, dark closet. Desert Storm changed that and the "support the troops" campaigns were admirable. The struggle to maintain them in the face of President Bush's personal unpopularity has been palpable. You see it in Britain and Canada and I am sure other NATO countries as well, where the forces that fight in Afghanistan and Iraq are not even recognized as participating in a war by citizens safe at home. Certainly not "central to lives" as you put it so well. Perhaps it is a sign that we are not so willing to put up with the stupidity of war - a positive sign to be sure, if only I thought it was truly what was going on.