Beached Boats E5

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
“E5.23 BEACHING: Beaching can occur freely during the boat's MPh/APh if it is declared as it enters any land/water hex containing any non-cliff shore hexside/pontoon (B6.41-.45) bridge, and is symbolized by placing the boat counter so that it straddles the water-land hexside on which it is Beached...A Beached boat and its Passengers are at the elevation level of the water, but are not in the water. Nevertheless, if attacked, a Beached boat must be attacked in the water hex by tracing a LOS to that Water Obstacle's hex center dot [EXC: OVR].”

If the hex of the water-land hexside on which a boat is beached contains a building, does an attack against it trace the LOS to the building hex or the water hex from which the boat left to be beached?

Does the boat being attacked receive any TEM from the building versus attacks against it?

Since it cost no MP to beach and no MF to unload a beached boat, passengers can just use their MF to move directly into whatever obstacle is in the beached hex without expending any MF beforehand. Is the beached boat attacked as soon as the beaching is announced with only one shot allowed?

“E5.51 NON-ORDNANCE & AREA TARGET TYPE ATTACKS vs LANDED/BEACHED BOATS: All non-ordnance attacks and Area Target Type hits vs boats on land/Beached are resolved on the ★ Vehicle line of the IFT with full FP [EXC: hits resolved using the Area Target Type still have their FP halved] and the same IFT Effects DR as would be used for any unarmored target in that Location (see 5.53).”

E5.53 SINKING: Whenever a boat counter is sunk (not just Reduced), all of its Passengers are also eliminated—unless the boat is Beached or in shallow water (defined as fordable; B21.122) in which case they undergo IFT attack normally using the same DR that sank the boat modified by the Hazardous Movement DRM…”

So does a beached boat get attacked on the ★ vehicle line along with its passengers receiving no TEM unless the boat is KIA’d in which case the passengers receive a -2DRM to the IFT effects DR?

No burning wreck possible?

“5.531 WATER LINE: The former Passengers of a Beached boat that is sunk remain in that Water Obstacle hex but are treated as if they were Infantry in a level -1 Open Ground land (not Water Obstacle) hex in every respect except that they are subject to the Hazardous Movement DRM as long as they remain Infantry in that hex. This "Water Line" existence occurs only to the former Passengers of a sunk, Beached boat, or to those who have left a boat during the MPh and directly entered a concealed enemy Location (A12.15) and are thereby returned to their Water Obstacle hex as Infantry (not to their boat as Passengers). Once these units successfully exit their Water Line position, they may not re-enter it.”

What if the water obstacle is flooded?

“B21.21 If a river is defined as flooded it is one level higher than normal (i.e., usually level 0).”

Are the units at level 0?

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You came to the right place BraveDave. I’m sure somebody really smart will come along and straighten all this out. I wish I could help but have never read the landingcraft rules because they put me into a mysterious dyslexus state.
Hope this doesn’t let you down because I wish all the best and wait in appropriate anticipation that you find what you seek.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
You came to the right place BraveDave. I’m sure somebody really smart will come along and straighten all this out. I wish I could help but have never read the landingcraft rules because they put me into a mysterious dyslexus state.
Hope this doesn’t let you down because I wish all the best and wait in appropriate anticipation that you find what you seek.
Landing Craft and Caves where it started to wear us down.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
“E5.23 BEACHING: Beaching can occur freely during the boat's MPh/APh if it is declared as it enters any land/water hex containing any non-cliff shore hexside/pontoon (B6.41-.45) bridge, and is symbolized by placing the boat counter so that it straddles the water-land hexside on which it is Beached...A Beached boat and its Passengers are at the elevation level of the water, but are not in the water. Nevertheless, if attacked, a Beached boat must be attacked in the water hex by tracing a LOS to that Water Obstacle's hex center dot [EXC: OVR].”

If the hex of the water-land hexside on which a boat is beached contains a building, does an attack against it trace the LOS to the building hex or the water hex from which the boat left to be beached?

Does the boat being attacked receive any TEM from the building versus attacks against it?
You yourself provided the answer: ...a Beached boat must be attacked in the water hex by tracing a LOS to that Water Obstacle's hex center dot...
and as an answer the 2nd part of the question It wouldn't receive a building TEM unless that building was in the water obstacles hex (a condition I would guess would be quite infrequent.
Since it cost no MP to beach and no MF to unload a beached boat, passengers can just use their MF to move directly into whatever obstacle is in the beached hex without expending any MF beforehand. Is the beached boat attacked as soon as the beaching is announced with only one shot allowed?
Reread what you've posted. There is no additional cost to beach and no additional cost to unload, therefore any Defensive Fire shot(s) would be predicated upon the amount of MP spent by the boat to enter the water obstacle hex (i.e. the shoreline hex allowing unloading from the boat) if firing upon them at the moment of disembarking from the boat.
“E5.51 NON-ORDNANCE & AREA TARGET TYPE ATTACKS vs LANDED/BEACHED BOATS: All non-ordnance attacks and Area Target Type hits vs boats on land/Beached are resolved on the ★ Vehicle line of the IFT with full FP [EXC: hits resolved using the Area Target Type still have their FP halved] and the same IFT Effects DR as would be used for any unarmored target in that Location (see 5.53).”

E5.53 SINKING: Whenever a boat counter is sunk (not just Reduced), all of its Passengers are also eliminated—unless the boat is Beached or in shallow water (defined as fordable; B21.122) in which case they undergo IFT attack normally using the same DR that sank the boat modified by the Hazardous Movement DRM…”

So does a beached boat get attacked on the ★ vehicle line along with its passengers receiving no TEM unless the boat is KIA’d in which case the passengers receive a -2DRM to the IFT effects DR?
Certainly seems to be what the rules are saying.
No burning wreck possible?
I see no allowances for Burning Boat Wrecks in Chapter E. For LC see G12 et. al.
“5.531 WATER LINE: The former Passengers of a Beached boat that is sunk remain in that Water Obstacle hex but are treated as if they were Infantry in a level -1 Open Ground land (not Water Obstacle) hex in every respect except that they are subject to the Hazardous Movement DRM as long as they remain Infantry in that hex. This "Water Line" existence occurs only to the former Passengers of a sunk, Beached boat, or to those who have left a boat during the MPh and directly entered a concealed enemy Location (A12.15) and are thereby returned to their Water Obstacle hex as Infantry (not to their boat as Passengers). Once these units successfully exit their Water Line position, they may not re-enter it.”

What if the water obstacle is flooded?

“B21.21 If a river is defined as flooded it is one level higher than normal (i.e., usually level 0).”

Are the units at level 0?
Yes, they are at the waterline.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Eagle got to this first, but it looks like he hit a home run here.

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the input. One last observation. It seems the best tactic for the boat would be to stay moving in the water obstacle hex until the advance phase then beach and enter the obstacle in the hex.

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the input. One last observation. It seems the best tactic for the boat would be to stay moving in the water obstacle hex until the advance phase then beach and enter the obstacle in the hex.
You mean the infantry there in? Check the ASOP, I think loading/unloading happen before beaching, but NRBH.

BraveDave

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You mean the infantry there in? Check the ASOP, I think loading/unloading happen before beaching, but NRBH.
NRBH?

Per ASOP:
7.21A Good Order Infantry not pinned or TI may advance.
7.24A May (un)Beach Boat(s) (E5.23).
So you can only beach the boats, but not unload to advance?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Best to keep boats in the water and (un)beach every MPh and APh whether they have troops onboard or not.. They are far less vulnerable that way. If you are playing the Dinant CG this even more critical as the best weapon the French have against Boats is their 80+ and 100+ OBA.

Even so the 8 FP the OBA generates (1/2 for AF) is still deadly but everybody else has trouble killing moving boats (2x small targets, moving and HD).

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NRBH?

Per ASOP:
Further, you can't beach in advance phase and then unload, since the unloading came first.

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Also remember that Drifting comes before Beaching. If you plan your moves right you can get an extra MP out of the boats before Beaching in the APh. Note also that the Assault Boats can choose the hex if more than one choice is available, while paddled Boats roll for the drift hex.

Last edited:

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NRBH?

Per ASOP:
NRBH = No Rule Book Handy. That one is very common. My own personal favorite is TLTGRB= Too lazy to grab Rule Book. That one while common in practice, is less common in usage ;-).

nekengren2

Reaction score
First name
Neal
Country
llUnited States
So in MPh.............do I have to (un)Load first and then (un)Beach?

I don't see anything in the ASOP about Loading so it seems that for MPh there is no particular order required for Loading and Beaching.
The Loading/Beaching order is only specified for the APh?

My squad in a building next to river holding a SmallRaft as SW can Manhandle the boat into a Beached position for 1MF (5.23 BEACHING and 5.2 OVERLAND MOVEMENT....seems to say this in a very awkward way)
Then my squad can load onto the Beached Boat for 1 MF (5.21 MPh/LOADING)
Then the Boat has half MP remaining. It can unBeach for 1 MP (DN3.11).

Yes to my own question. Found the answer here.

Last edited: