BCS title game

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I think LSU is a lot better team than ND, but ND might have had something like a fighting chance if the game had not been played in New Orleans!!!

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Since we are not talking about Softball here, this is fine in theory, but it is just that theory and guesses. It is widely published what date the "game" is on so either show up and win if you are truely the best team or watch from home."

So the Dolphins are a better team than the Bears? I mean the game between them was scheduled a year ago and they both knew it and the DOlphins won.

"You are also assuming the quality of each team's competition during the season are equivalent."

Very few football teams, pro or college, have common opponents. I think the Colts and Ravens had 2, The Bengals and the Titans. So the quality of their competition varies a lot but that doesn't mean they are bad teams.

"You will have to explain to me your last comment as I am not following your logic"

The current BCS is suppose to match the two BEST teams. In a single elimination system that almost never occurs. In the NCAA B-Ball tourney, the larges single elimination tourney in the US, the 4 number one seeds have never all made it to the final four in the same year. In the NFL it is extremely rare for the teams with the two best records to meet. Sports with multiple game elimination playoffs usually get it right.
SO if the goal is to match the two best teams and see how they fare then the current BCS is better suited.
IF the goal is to see who can get hot and win 3 games in a row, then a single elimination playoff is better.
Me, I like seeing the best go at it!

Dion

Ober Field Marshal
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm glad Ohio State lost, but unfortunitly they lost to a bunch freaks. Like we say up here in the great lake state of meeechigan o-how-I-hate-ohio state, and go blue!

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Since we are not talking about Softball here, this is fine in theory, but it is just that theory and guesses. It is widely published what date the "game" is on so either show up and win if you are truely the best team or watch from home."

So the Dolphins are a better team than the Bears? I mean the game between them was scheduled a year ago and they both knew it and the DOlphins won.

"You are also assuming the quality of each team's competition during the season are equivalent."

Very few football teams, pro or college, have common opponents. I think the Colts and Ravens had 2, The Bengals and the Titans. So the quality of their competition varies a lot but that doesn't mean they are bad teams.

"You will have to explain to me your last comment as I am not following your logic"

The current BCS is suppose to match the two BEST teams. In a single elimination system that almost never occurs. In the NCAA B-Ball tourney, the larges single elimination tourney in the US, the 4 number one seeds have never all made it to the final four in the same year. In the NFL it is extremely rare for the teams with the two best records to meet. Sports with multiple game elimination playoffs usually get it right.
SO if the goal is to match the two best teams and see how they fare then the current BCS is better suited.
IF the goal is to see who can get hot and win 3 games in a row, then a single elimination playoff is better.
Me, I like seeing the best go at it!
Got it now and don't disagree. However, I think a playoff system would allow some of the other 1 one loss and undefeated teams to continue to play for a chance at the title. I do not believe the Florida is the best team in country, but they were on Jan. 8th. Had USC shown up for its game against UCLA, then Florida would not have been playing last Monday. It is just how the cards fell.

Also, I am a Nebraska fan and haven't had squat to look forward to for quite some time now.

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got it now and don't disagree. However, I think a playoff system would allow some of the other 1 one loss and undefeated teams to continue to play for a chance at the title. I do not believe the Florida is the best team in country, but they were on Jan. 8th. Had USC shown up for its game against UCLA, then Florida would not have been playing last Monday. It is just how the cards fell.

Also, I am a Nebraska fan and haven't had squat to look forward to for quite some time now.
Well they could do a multi game championship series (2 out of 3?) after a short single elimination playoff (top 4?). :crosseye:
Sure football is physical but so is ice hockey and they play 4 best of seven series to determine the champ. Of course it takes 6 weeks or so but you may have to play 28 games to win it all. Not many Cinderellas get to the finals :)
I don't think OSU and Florida were bad choices at all for the championship game. I don't think you could say before the game that anyone else was BETTER than them, equal maybe but not better.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well they could do a multi game championship series (2 out of 3?) after a short single elimination playoff (top 4?). :crosseye:
Sure football is physical but so is ice hockey and they play 4 best of seven series to determine the champ. Of course it takes 6 weeks or so but you may have to play 28 games to win it all. Not many Cinderellas get to the finals :)
I don't think OSU and Florida were bad choices at all for the championship game. I don't think you could say before the game that anyone else was BETTER than them, equal maybe but not better.
I think the problem you have is that there is generally one or two days between hockey games while football is 5 to 7 days recovery. Remember, these college kids are not paid to play and risk of injury is pretty high as well as risk to their financial future for the limited few who move on to the NFL.

No, I would agee. I did not have a problem with Florida playing. Clearly Ohio State earned the right to be there. I thought they earned the right enough to even wager a few dollars on a "certain" victory. So much for "certain".

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think LSU is a lot better team than ND, but ND might have had something like a fighting chance if the game had not been played in New Orleans!!!
Oh please...ND is the most consistently over rated program in the country. Every year they play a panzy schedule except for a couple of teams (which they lose to). I saw a stat that ND is like 0-18 vs top ten opponents for like the last 5-10 years or so.

But, for some reason every sports writer in the country has a hard-on for ND. They could just about go 6-6 and still get a BCS bowl...pathetic.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well this is one Buckeye who is proud today. Tressel and Troy Smith were gentlemen and sportman after the game.
There is an old saying down south..."show me a good loser and I will show you someone good at losing."

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whats with the moron remark. Theres no need for that. I said Astibula which is where Meyer is from. I said nothing about Smith or Ginn or Glenville. I did have the announcer wrong. I wasn't exactly a happy camper at the time:cry:
No, I was talking about the announcer.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Oh please...ND is the most consistently over rated program in the country. Every year they play a panzy schedule except for a couple of teams (which they lose to). I saw a stat that ND is like 0-18 vs top ten opponents for like the last 5-10 years or so.
I'm no ND fan, but that's not the point.

Who is your team? UGA? LSU? Tell you what, let's have them play their next bowl game against, say, Michigan in Detroit, okay? Then, after they lose in front of a hostile crowd of 80,000 who made it impossible to even hear in their own huddle, we'll revisit this issue and see how fair you think it is.

MLaPanzer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Who is your team? UGA? LSU? Tell you what, let's have them play their next bowl game against, say, Michigan in Detroit, okay? Then, after they lose in front of a hostile crowd of 80,000 who made it impossible to even hear in their own huddle, we'll revisit this issue and see how fair you think it is.
OH Please get an SEC team to play above the Mason-Dixon line. You must be dreaming. It's much tougher for the Big Ten, ND and the Big 12 north to win Bowl Games. Just from the fact of where there at. If they ever did institute a playoff system would they get rid of the Bowls and have the games in places like Detroit, Minn. or Indy. I dought it. Would like to see it but the bowl throw a lot of money around.

Dave68124

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OH Please get an SEC team to play above the Mason-Dixon line. You must be dreaming. It's much tougher for the Big Ten, ND and the Big 12 north to win Bowl Games. Just from the fact of where there at. If they ever did institute a playoff system would they get rid of the Bowls and have the games in places like Detroit, Minn. or Indy. I dought it. Would like to see it but the bowl throw a lot of money around.
Don't forget about the vaunted MPC Computer Bowl played on the blue field of Boise State. Miami came and won, barely, but still won.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Great excuse...even sounds reasonable. But, naaaa...teams go on the road into extremely hostile stadiums and win...they do it all the time. You ask the head coach of ND why they lost and I doubt he will mention location or the crowd.

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Great excuse...even sounds reasonable. But, naaaa...teams go on the road into extremely hostile stadiums and win...they do it all the time. You ask the head coach of ND why they lost and I doubt he will mention location or the crowd.
I understand that, but this wasn't a regular season game it was a bowl game. Bowl games should be played on neutral ground. For the record, I think LSU would have won that game no matter where it was played.

As I said, I vote that your team plays its next bowl game in Boston, Baltimore, or Green Bay.

Tater

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I understand that, but this wasn't a regular season game it was a bowl game. Bowl games should be played on neutral ground. For the record, I think LSU would have won that game no matter where it was played.
Well, since bowl games aren't play-off games your position relative to "neutral ground" is invalid. IOW, the game doesn't matter except for team pride anyway.

Second, bowl games are played where the money says they are played. If anyone doesn't like that...tough, that's just the way it is. If Green Bay, Detroit, Boston, NY, etc., wants to get up $10-15Million and start a bowl then we can talk about it...till then, again "neutral ground" argument is invalid.

Lastly, if the northern teams agreed with you then they can simply stop accepting the bids to the bowls. Of course that puts them out of not only National Champ contention...it also puts them out of many $millions$ of dollars for their programs. Again, "neutral ground" excuses...invalid.

As I said, I vote that your team plays its next bowl game in Boston, Baltimore, or Green Bay.
Cool...when you (or I) actually get a vote that will matter. :)

BTW, part of the problem (assuming one thinks it is a problem) is that bowls in those locations will ultimately fail because of one simple reason...NO BODY (fans) wants to go to a game in those locations in freaking JANUARY!!! Sure, the local nuts will show up for the game and sit in -10 degree weather but a bowl isn't gonna make it with a half full stadium. The BCS/major bowls are located in otherwise high draw tourism locations AS WELL AS generally good weather locations for a January date.

BTW, a play-off system would solve this problem. The top cede teams get to play at home up until the title game. A play-off system also solves the lay-off problem.

Imagine a FL, USC, LSU and BSU 2nd round!!! (replace the Orange bowl with the FL vs OSU game).

Marty Ward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"BTW, part of the problem (assuming one thinks it is a problem) is that bowls in those locations will ultimately fail because of one simple reason...NO BODY (fans) wants to go to a game in those locations in freaking JANUARY!!!"

Really? I believe the Ice Bowl was a sell out.
Fans will go no matter where the game is held, the bowl groupies won't which isn't a bad thing in my book!

Dr Zaius

Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
BTW, part of the problem (assuming one thinks it is a problem) is that bowls in those locations will ultimately fail because of one simple reason...NO BODY (fans) wants to go to a game in those locations in freaking JANUARY!!!
And just where did you come up with this little fact? There sure are a lot of "no bodys" going to all those games up north. In fact, it’s virtually impossible to get season tickets to any of the NFL teams and almost as hard to get them for the major colleges, regardless of where they are located. That part of your argument is baseless and without a shred of proof to back it up.

The college bowl games and the Super Bowl should be played on neutral turf. The idea that we let one team in the Super Bowl play at home is, well, just bizarre.

Right now virtually all the bowl games are played in the south, so you obviously don't have any problem rationalizing it because it heavily favors the teams you support. You can spin it however you want, Tater, it still amounts to you angling to get an edge for your teams. Ever try to get in to a major bowl game or the Super Bowl? Good luck. The vast majority of the tickets end up in the hands of corporate suits and people in powerful positions. Half of them don't even know how to spell the word football. But we can't have them being subjected to a little December/January weather, now can we? My gosh, they might catch a chill or--heaven forbid!--see a gray cloud in the sky or a snowflake on the field. The infamy!

No, we'll keep playing the bowl games in nice little air conditioned stadiums with neatly trimmed grass and pleasant smelling flowers growing beside the endzone. We need to keep those corporate suits happy. And besides, we wouldn't want those SEC players to lose their home field advantage.