BB1-First Big Fight

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
How does the OP Tank work? Can it pre-reg a barrage whilst off board or can it barrage when on board? Without going into too much detail I'm confused-does the BU/CE status apply? Cheers for any help.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
How does the OP Tank work? Can it pre-reg a barrage whilst off board or can it barrage when on board? Without going into too much detail I'm confused-does the BU/CE status apply? Cheers for any help.
Re the BU question:

H1.464 SHERMAN (U.K.) OP:
Use a British Sherman I or Sherman m counter. Its MA is its printed CMG FP, with a T Gun Type and a 1 ROF (it has no 75 Gun); it retains its BMG and also has a 4 FP AAMG. A +1 drm is added to the OBA Accuracy dr of a battery whose Observer is BU in this OP tank. This OP tank also carries an extra radio that can take counter form (i.e., can be used) only if its inherent Observer leaves the tank with it; moreover, only that Observer can use that extra radio. This OP tank can be designated as using an inherent field phone, provided its inherent Observer is using it and the tank does not leave its setup hex (if it does leave that hex, the field phone becomes disabled but the tank's own radio, or its SW radio counter, may then regain contact with the battery). This OP tank can be used only with a British/Commonwealth "80+" (or larger) OBA battery, and is available 44-45 with a BPV of 42 (Sherman I) or 43 (Sherman III).

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I think that in order for an OBA battery to be Barrage Capable, it must be allotted at least one pre-registered hex. Unlike SSR 6, which grants the Germans a Pre-Reg hex, SSR 4 is missing one. I think this is either an oversight, or the Barrage Capable part is not supposed to be there.

In the TM rules, Canadian Regimental Artillery is Barrage Capable. However, Pre-Reg hexes are purchased separately.

IMO, the 105mm OBA in BB1 ought to provided with a Pre-Reg hex, if this OBA module is supposed to be Barrage Capable. This would require errata. So I'll leave it to George to respond.

As for the OP tank itself, it would have to be onboard to direct the module. And if a Pre-Reg hex was provided for the 105mm OBA, the hex would have to be recorded prior to set up, as per E12.2. Assuming the Op Tank Observer has Radio Contact and Battery Access, the earliest the barrage could come down would be during the Canadian DFPh of German Turn 1. And IAW E12.3, it would come down as an FFE:1.

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
I think that in order for an OBA battery to be Barrage Capable, it must be allotted at least one pre-registered hex. Unlike SSR 6, which grants the Germans a Pre-Reg hex, SSR 4 is missing one. I think this is either an oversight, or the Barrage Capable part is not supposed to be there.

In the TM rules, Canadian Regimental Artillery is Barrage Capable. However, Pre-Reg hexes are purchased separately.

IMO, the 105mm OBA in BB1 ought to provided with a Pre-Reg hex, if this OBA module is supposed to be Barrage Capable. This would require errata. So I'll leave it to George to respond.

As for the OP tank itself, it would have to be onboard to direct the module. And if a Pre-Reg hex was provided for the 105mm OBA, the hex would have to be recorded prior to set up, as per E12.2. Assuming the Op Tank Observer has Radio Contact and Battery Access, the earliest the barrage could come down would be during the Canadian DFPh of German Turn 1. And IAW E12.3, it would come down as an FFE:1.
Thanks for the very clear reply. I agree with your summary but like you I still feel I need clarification. The pre-reg task and then the moving on board just seems a little strange but I think that's the way I'll play it until I hear otherwise. Cheers

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Regarding pre-registered hex for the Canadian 105mm Barrage OBA; YES it should have a "p" in the notes column.

Call in the Barrage, the OP tank would have to be on map to call it in; Chris' explanation "As for the OP tank itself, it would have to be onboard to direct the module. And if a Pre-Reg hex was provided for the 105mm OBA, the hex would have to be recorded prior to set up, as per E12.2. Assuming the Op Tank Observer has Radio Contact and Battery Access, the earliest the barrage could come down would be during the Canadian DFPh of German Turn 1. And IAW E12.3, it would come down as an FFE:1" is correct.

antony.marsh

Reaction score
Country
ll
Regarding pre-registered hex for the Canadian 105mm Barrage OBA; YES it should have a "p" in the notes column.

Call in the Barrage, the OP tank would have to be on map to call it in; Chris' explanation "As for the OP tank itself, it would have to be onboard to direct the module. And if a Pre-Reg hex was provided for the 105mm OBA, the hex would have to be recorded prior to set up, as per E12.2. Assuming the Op Tank Observer has Radio Contact and Battery Access, the earliest the barrage could come down would be during the Canadian DFPh of German Turn 1. And IAW E12.3, it would come down as an FFE:1" is correct.
Thanks George, that explains it.