Bazooka

karl

Lost in my own mind.
Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Hi

I am a little confused about whether or not I can use a bazooka against infantry targets in the open or in other terrain.

Does it fire AP vs armoured targets and HE vs unarmoured as in C2.21 and thus I use the 8ift column against infantry in the open/other terrain or use HEAT and is bounded by C8.31 special heat rules against both types of targets.

I want to fire at a squad in some trees.

Cheers

Karl

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hi Karl,

BAZ fire HEAT (EXC: also White Phosperous from 1945 models onwards) at eligible Infantry and Vehicle/Gun Targets. As such, it uses the C8.31 rules you referred to.

As such, you can only fire at infantry who are receiving a wall/building/rubble/pillbox TEM. ie. you are actually firing at their cover, and the shrapnel from hitting their cover is what is doing the damage.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is you can't fire at a squad who are just in some trees or in the open. Sorry 'bout that.

Cheers,
Andrew

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Reepicheep said:
Hi Karl,

BAZ fire HEAT (EXC: also White Phosperous from 1945 models onwards) at eligible Infantry and Vehicle/Gun Targets. As such, it uses the C8.31 rules you referred to.

As such, you can only fire at infantry who are receiving a wall/building/rubble/pillbox TEM. ie. you are actually firing at their cover, and the shrapnel from hitting their cover is what is doing the damage.

Anyway, the long and the short of it is you can't fire at a squad who are just in some trees or in the open. Sorry 'bout that.

Cheers,
Andrew

A HA!!! Caught you..... this info is good to know but a little late for my killer plan ... must go to plan B ... just as deadly .. ; - )

CPRad

Priest

Reaction score
I'm staeting to question the value of having bazooka's, I've played three scenarios that use them and have one fired one of them once.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
They're of limited use if you're fighting in urban terrain against infantry. The TEM penalty combined with backblast makes things tough. Then again, hits are pretty effective when they happen.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Weighing only 1PP, they're also a nice option to have up your sleeve if the chance to use one arises. They could also make your opponenent hesitate about moving behind the protection of a wall (+2 wall tem, -1 ffnam = only a +1 TH penalty). And as Chris pointed out, they do pack a good punch when they do hit.

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Reepicheep said:
Weighing only 1PP, they're also a nice option to have up your sleeve if the chance to use one arises. They could also make your opponenent hesitate about moving behind the protection of a wall (+2 wall tem, -1 ffnam = only a +1 TH penalty). And as Chris pointed out, they do pack a good punch when they do hit.
Hmmm ... interesting what are the modifiers if an inf. unit moves up to a bocage hex side and an AT gun is two hexes away fire HE at it. Does the FFNAM modifier apply and does the bocage provide a +2 TEM???

Thanks

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
CPRad said:
Hmmm ... interesting what are the modifiers if an inf. unit moves up to a bocage hex side and an AT gun is two hexes away fire HE at it. Does the FFNAM modifier apply and does the bocage provide a +2 TEM???
As far as TEM is concerned, from 2nd edition rules onward, bocage follows the rules for walls (B9.5) so the TEM is +2 (B9.3). I'm not sure what the TEM was before the v.2 rules.

Total modifiers: +2 TEM, -1 FFNAM (provided the infantry didn't assault move), -1 Point Blank at 2 hexes = +0 drm

Infantry Target Type to hit at range 2 = 8, so with +0 drm an 8 or less will hit. (all other things being equal)

Seabee Mark

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don't Forget Wall Advantage

That also assumes the infantry unit declares wall advantage when it moves up to the bocage hexside. If it doesn't there is no LOS from the AT Gun, so no shot.

Depending on the situation, the infantry unit might want to wait until the APh before claiming WA.

Mark

CPRad

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Seabee Mark said:
That also assumes the infantry unit declares wall advantage when it moves up to the bocage hexside. If it doesn't there is no LOS from the AT Gun, so no shot.

Depending on the situation, the infantry unit might want to wait until the APh before claiming WA.

Mark
Thanks Mark .... thats what I was wondering since the bocage was suppose to be similar to a 1 sty height LOS and even if you moved up to the hex side with the bocage would there be a LOS unless a WA was declared.

Larry

da priest

Reaction score
Errr..guys bocage ain't a 'zook target type...sorry...

In Journal 5 there is an errata for this, disallowing the use of HEAT vs Bocage.

It says:

B9.5: line 3 after "walls" add "[EXC:HEAT NA (C8.31)]"

This is for 2nd Ed.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Yea Priest, thanks for that, the poorer ASL players who cannot afford to buy such luxuries appreciate the info...

I am of the opinion that most of the time Panzerfaust and BAZ are a waste of time against INF... but when one is desperate and willing to take the risk then even in a city they can be a massive life-saver... but the risks! It is at time like these that the PIAT starts to look like a REAL weapon - with no backblast!