Bazooka WP

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
good point! I did remember correctly...but... a bit ridiculous of the rules not to be consistent and allow it if LATW can do it... why not? Don't answer that of course ;)
So if you can use something other than ATT, you can get RATE. It is important to remember the original intention was for no RATE with SMOKE. There was an oversight in the way mortars work and here we are. -- jim

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
So should the question be sent to MMP?

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It might not be a valid target because it is friendly, but a WP MC is made when a WP counter is placed in the location regardless of whether the unit was hit or not.

JR
What if heavy wind prevents the WP counter from being placed?

SteelDragon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think that Honosbinda posted the answer to your question in post #2.
Klas implicitly confirmed it in post #3.
No contradicting opinion has been expressed.
So there is a consensus that SMOKE fired by a LATW rises from the Location which is aimed at.
You can send your question to MMP, however, if you still have doubts.
Actually, Brian W also believes that the smoke counter should be placed at ground level. I have never sent a question into MMP, what is the best and fastest way to go about this? Thanks.

SteelDragon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I sent a question into MMP:

Per C13.1, LATW may never use the Area Target Type which means C3.33 and C8.52 do NOT apply. Per C8.52 for Area Target Type, it is placed at ground level. But C8.52 does not apply, so if a Bazooka is firing at the 2nd level of a multi-level building (with a ground, first, and second level) is the WP counter placed on the 2nd level of the building?

Here is the reply:

No, while WP may hit (and thus affect) the upper level, the WP counter is placed at ground level.

....Perry
MMP

Hemaelstrom

Reaction score
Country
llCongo
Makes me curious as to whether such a shot was ever attempted and the outcome. Or whether it's obvious and was simply overlooked by the rules.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Makes me curious as to whether such a shot was ever attempted and the outcome. Or whether it's obvious and was simply overlooked by the rules.
Oh yeah, been done many times especially in RB/VotG with MOL-P as well. As for a BAZ, up until now I've always put the Smoke in the Location it was fired at (e.g. 1st Level, 2nd Level of a building etc.), kind of surprised by the response given the trail of the rules but it is what it is and we need someone to make a definitive answer along the way. That's why Perry gets the big bucks!;)

Hemaelstrom

Reaction score
Country
llCongo
I was thinking of some rare archival footage of it actually being done, or at least some anecdotal evidence that such and such happened when so and so shot a WP round out of a bazooka at an upper level of a building. But that's crazy talk i know o_O

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I sent a question into MMP:

Per C13.1, LATW may never use the Area Target Type which means C3.33 and C8.52 do NOT apply. Per C8.52 for Area Target Type, it is placed at ground level. But C8.52 does not apply, so if a Bazooka is firing at the 2nd level of a multi-level building (with a ground, first, and second level) is the WP counter placed on the 2nd level of the building?

Here is the reply:

No, while WP may hit (and thus affect) the upper level, the WP counter is placed at ground level.

....Perry
MMP
Could you also please post this Q&A in the Perry Sez sub-folder?

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I was thinking of some rare archival footage of it actually being done, or at least some anecdotal evidence that such and such happened when so and so shot a WP round out of a bazooka at an upper level of a building. But that's crazy talk i know o_O
That round could possibly represent the unit in the upper level being "hit" with WP - they other rounds perhaps miss the window and fall down to the ground.

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Or whether it's obvious and was simply overlooked by the rules.
When I first started playing asl, a BAZ that fired WP added TEM to the TH DR (it wasn't using ATT, so Case Q applied and there was no EXC in C6.8 for a BAZ firing WP as there is now), and if it hit, the TEM applied to the WP moral check as well. Basically, you had TEM applying twice to an attack. Now that has since been erraticized, and TEM only applies to the WP MC.

So, yes, I think the entire BAZ firing WP was not thought out completely by the writers of the ASLRB originally, so oddities surfacing all these years later isn't surprising.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When I first started playing asl, a BAZ that fired WP added TEM to the TH DR (it wasn't using ATT, so Case Q applied and there was no EXC in C6.8 for a BAZ firing WP as there is now), and if it hit, the TEM applied to the WP moral check as well. Basically, you had TEM applying twice to an attack. Now that has since been erraticized, and TEM only applies to the WP MC.

So, yes, I think the entire BAZ firing WP was not thought out completely by the writers of the ASLRB originally, so oddities surfacing all these years later isn't surprising.
One that continually get me stumped for a while is a direct firing weapon that fires SMOKE at a building (say a factory) during Rain and gets a hit. Is there SMOKE IN the building (factory) and does not exist outside the edifice? I know you could explain it to me now, but I'll guarantee the next time the situation presents itself during a game I'll be there digging through the rules to figure it out, done it for 30 years and doubt if it'll get though to my brain cavity any time soon.