Bazooka WP

SteelDragon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Per C13.1, LATW may never use the Area Target Type which means C3.33 and C8.52 do NOT apply. So if a Bazooka is firing at the 2nd level of a multi-level building (with a ground, first, and second level) where is the WP counter placed. Per C8.52 for Area Target Type, it is placed at ground level. But C8.52 does not apply so where is it placed?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
In the target location. Level 2 of the building hex, rising from there. Where else could it be placed if not there?

You've discovered an unusual situation here in that many, including me, have assumed smoke MUST be placed by the AREA target type, but clearly that isn't the case, is it?

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
Yes, interesting, but moreover, it's not as if, for example, a gun with s8 couldn't try to place smoke by ITT instead of ATT. Usually this doesn't make sense because then TEMs would apply, but I imagine there might be circumstances when trying to hit a third level steeple to smoke it would be an option. Of course, with that TH being so difficult, it's likely someone would try HE instead, to take out the target, rather than smoke it!

Hemaelstrom

Reaction score
Country
llCongo
Except as noted by Klas, it seems "C3.33 AREA TARGET TYPE: The Area Target Type must be used at all times by mortars and whenever ordnance [EXC: LATW] attempts to fire SMOKE" precludes the use of ITT for SMOKE.

Honosbinda

Reaction score
Country
ll
good point! I did remember correctly...but... a bit ridiculous of the rules not to be consistent and allow it if LATW can do it... why not? Don't answer that of course ;)

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I am sure that you can reach serenity without an answer.

ctewks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Except as noted by Klas, it seems "C3.33 AREA TARGET TYPE: The Area Target Type must be used at all times by mortars and whenever ordnance [EXC: LATW] attempts to fire SMOKE" precludes the use of ITT for SMOKE.
but I think you still use the BAZ TH table on the back of the counter

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes a BAZ is a LATW, which is EXC from C3.33 (quoted above).

IMO, a WP hit from a BAZ will be placed in the same way WP would be placed from a hit from other ordnance (using the ATT). But that isn't spelled out in the rules that I could find.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
but I think you still use the BAZ TH table on the back of the counter
Yes:
C4.4 Does this apply to WP? Does this apply to Bazookas firing WP?​
A. Sure – see the definition of "SMOKE" in Index. No, because bazookas don't use the C3 TH Table. [Letter3]​

ctewks

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes:
C4.4 Does this apply to WP? Does this apply to Bazookas firing WP?​
A. Sure – see the definition of "SMOKE" in Index. No, because bazookas don't use the C3 TH Table. [Letter3]​
Right -- so you're not adding 2 to the TH # on the back of the counter when firing WP with a BAZ

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Right -- so you're not adding 2 to the TH # on the back of the counter when firing WP with a BAZ
Yeah, I know the Q&A is slightly off-topic, I just appreciated the firm statement - "bazookas don't use the C3 TH Table." - in light of the present discussion.:oops:

SteelDragon

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I appreciate all of the feedback, but I guess no one has found the rule for this case or an interpretation to quote. Does the counter get placed in the location hit, level 2, or does it get placed at ground level? My assumption has always been that if the TH DR was low enough and a hit was scored that some of the shells entered that level of the building thru windows/holes. Some bounced off the wall and fell to the ground level. It would seem to make sense that this would work the same for Bazooka fire as it does for Area Target Type. I am just hoping for a consensus for a game I am playing.
Thanks all.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I think that Honosbinda posted the answer to your question in post #2.
Klas implicitly confirmed it in post #3.
No contradicting opinion has been expressed.
So there is a consensus that SMOKE fired by a LATW rises from the Location which is aimed at.
You can send your question to MMP, however, if you still have doubts.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Does that mean that a BAZ WP round fired at a unit in crest of a depression does not fall INTO the depression?

JR

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can a BAZ fire WP in its own location/hex? If so, is the unit firing it a valid Target?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Can a BAZ fire WP in its own location/hex? If so, is the unit firing it a valid Target?
It might not be a valid target because it is friendly, but a WP MC is made when a WP counter is placed in the location regardless of whether the unit was hit or not.

JR

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Does that mean that a BAZ WP round fired at a unit in crest of a depression does not fall INTO the depression?

JR
Aren't units IN a Depression and at crest level considered as being in the same Location?
Stacking limits apply to all units in the Depression, whether being in Crest status or being IN the Depression.
So, I would think that smoke would be placed IN the Depression.