Battlestar Galactica

Tim

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Did anyone see the show? What did you think of it.
I believe it will be very good series.

Goblin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, they made that character a woman now. 'Starbuck' is a girl who punches guys and smokes cigars and such. :(

Huge disappointment for a fan of the original show.

The space battles weren't bad.

Goblin

Priest

Reaction score
Don't know, I saw the old Battlestar and felt that it was missing something, hope the new one does better.

Tim

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No ,The new show. It is being shown on Space channel this weekend. It was shown on Sci-Fi channel on Dec 3 but I live Canada so I don't get that channel.
Another one of those shows produced in Vancouver that you wish you could visit the set.

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The new show is like a distant cousin of the original. Most of the original characters are there, but are either very different from the original (e.g. Starbuck, Boomer, Jolly, Baltar, Adama and Col. Tigh), or feature different inter-personal dynamics (e.g. Adama and Apollo, and Boxie's background). Some secondary characters (e.g. Athena and Cassie) did make an appearance in the new pilot.

The most over the top change was the politically correct new Starbuck. Some of the other changes were intersting, if not necessarily better than the original.

Jim H. Moreno

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, the new series starts this Friday! About frakin' time. Anyone else anxiously waiting for it? :laugh:

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Jim H. Moreno said:
Well, the new series starts this Friday! About frakin' time. Anyone else anxiously waiting for it? :laugh:

MEEE!!! I like the new one... my dad also has to let it be known that their Damage Control is totally realistic because thats the exact way the Navy handled DC.

RetPara

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BarcelonaBlom said:
MEEE!!! I like the new one... my dad also has to let it be known that their Damage Control is totally realistic because thats the exact way the Navy handled DC.
Can you expound on that? Watched the first episode of the mini series last night...

Temujin

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Ive seen about ten episodes, it is good if you like the genre you will love it. The characters and story have more depth and the fighters are the same. I'm not a great fan of the genre, and can only say it is good and i like it, but not love, but knowing sci-fi fans, you better get the box of tissues out ladies.

MountainMan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to admit to really mixed emotions. I liked the original series. I also like this one, but PC and some of the usual directorial idiocy has reared it's ugly head.

Starbuck is a female. That would be ok, if someone hadn't felt it necessary to make her a cigar-smoking butt-chewing clone of the original Starbuck. Any reason she couldn't have been modellled after successful female fighter pilots of today?

Boomer is a 90 lb Asaion female. Say...huh? :hmmm: So..."Boomer"?

Apollo is now a nice, clean cut guy who painfully explains to the Secretary of Education, ne President of Twelve Non-Existent Colonies, that "Apollo" is only his handle. Naw, really? Get out of here!

My personal vote for new President of the Twelve Colonis: Judy Dench. Needs a woman who eats napalm and breathes fire to match up against Adama. Adama: good choice. Probably best actor on the new series.

The XO is way past retirement age, and in the pilot episode, appears to have spent far too much time in the Battlestar Galactica gift shop. But I LOVED the line about not being able to use the port launch bay, because that was now the gift shop!

They dropped the Egyptian motif so prevalent in the helmets of the original series. Can't decide if that's good or bad. I liked those old helmets.

The new Cylons are interesting and well done, but what the @#$%&*! is the deal with the sexy blonde "Cylon" who apparently knows more about raw sex than Colonial males? And comes in twelve basic models for your personal enjoyment? I wouldn't mind a brief explanation of how the Cylons managed to program such terrific sexual response when we can't even teach it properly to humans. Let's see....tonight we'll be using the "blue" chip.... :pIMP:

A little, tiny explanation of why the Cylons suddenly chose to eradicate the human race would be nice, along with a small explanation of the "fifty thousand" survivors. I assume they will all show up at the rendevous at Ragnar.

I had a slight problem with Galactica still being equipped with the by-now completely Jurassic Viper II's, although the cover-up attempt - that they were therefore immune to jamming - was a nice try. Wonder where in the entire Colonial supply system there will be even a single spare part for completely obsolete Mark II Vipers? And how did Galactica come to be equipped with thoroughly up-to-date shuttles but not Vipers? Ooops! Somebody bad!

I really liked the new concept of war in space, i.e., the use of missiles and nukes, although I would like to see the hull plating that only buckles when hit with a 50kt nuke. I need some of that for my SUV bumpers abnd my snowplow blade! I also liked the vectoring nozzles effects added to the new version of the show.

Despite my feelings, I will not miss a single episode, as I believe this one will grow on me and because I really liked the old series. Besides, I'm a sucker for SciFi, especially SciFi with brand new CGI FX.

Temujin

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Despite my feelings, I will not miss a single episode, as I believe this one will grow on me and because I really liked the old series. Besides, I'm a sucker for SciFi, especially SciFi with brand new CGI FX.
Make sure you don't, theres much you will miss as the story and characters evolve.

Starbuck, yeah at first i thought was going to be a really crappy character in that cigar smoking sense, but that character evolves to a more realistic human one which is more acceptable. I won't say more than that, didnt want anyone being discouraged by that character is all.

Maladryne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Loving it so far, which kind of surprised me. The acting seems good overall, and there actually seems to be some effort going into actual plot, story lines & character development - as opposed to just using the premise as an excuse to stage hokey space combat and blow crap up. All the way through the mini-series so far, I kept having this feeling of familiarity; not to the old series, but to something else. Finally, it hit me about halfway through tonite's episode. Blade Runner. The quality of the lighting and especially the music remind me of my all-time favorite move, Blade Runner. Anyone else notice this, or am I losing it?

Bariman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MountainMan said:
Boomer is a 90 lb Asaion female. Say...huh? :hmmm: So..."Boomer"?

Yeah, I wondered about that too. And she's a Cylon?

Apollo is now a nice, clean cut guy who painfully explains to the Secretary of Education, ne President of Twelve Non-Existent Colonies, that "Apollo" is only his handle. Naw, really? Get out of here!

I think it was to point out his reluctance to talk to Commander Adama by telling her they're related. And I'm also guessing the Colonial Fleet isn't using Naval rankings.

A little, tiny explanation of why the Cylons suddenly chose to eradicate the human race would be nice, along with a small explanation of the "fifty thousand" survivors. I assume they will all show up at the rendevous at Ragnar.

Well, the Cylons are evil and they hate humanity. They wanted to kill everyone in a single blow, so they used Balthasar's nav program to destroy the fleet. As for the survivors, it was the new president's decision to get as many people on FTL-capable ships as possible.

I had a slight problem with Galactica still being equipped with the by-now completely Jurassic Viper II's, although the cover-up attempt - that they were therefore immune to jamming - was a nice try. Wonder where in the entire Colonial supply system there will be even a single spare part for completely obsolete Mark II Vipers? And how did Galactica come to be equipped with thoroughly up-to-date shuttles but not Vipers? Ooops! Somebody bad!

The Galactica was supposed to be a museum ship, and so would have a bunch of mk II's on display. They also had leftover parts stockpiled on the ship, and probably got more at Ragnar Station.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to agree the space combat is realistic and amazing and that natural touch of removing almost all the music (cept that primitive drumb beat stuff) and leaving some semblance of sound (though not much) makes it more dramatic and real.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bariman said:
I think it was to point out his reluctance to talk to Commander Adama by telling her they're related. And I'm also guessing the Colonial Fleet isn't using Naval rankings.
Well its just like the Imperial Navy in the TIE Figher Game... they (The Pilots) obviously have a different rank structure than the actual Navy. (I doubt its true but it can explain it) that would also make it more easier to get why the XO would be a Colonel and control the Ship's Flight Wing(s) since he's an experienced (though drunk) pilot himself...

As for the Damage Control...

Instead of the ol' Decks A-34B they actually have the framework bulkheads and frames marked out and numbered and dispatched their DC Crews by frames instead of decks and then naturally they sealed hatches (well they probably sealed themselves) as they fought the fires and damage.

Last edited: