Battlefront's CM x 2 Road Map

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think the scary part for BFC has to be that this site talks about BFC and CMSF more than any other site, many times even more than BFC's own site.

And its not like a frenzy of posting here. That should pause Steve a little in his tirades.
I don't think so (bolded bit).

gave tacit approval for its minions to go around the web trying to shout down anyone who thought CMSF was anything but stellar.
This untrue on several levels.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What we have over and over again is miscommunication and unrealized expectations of what certain posters want CMx2 to be, and a huge failure to recognize what it is.
That is pretty much what I have been saying for a long time. Yes, CMSF QBs suck. Yes, there were glitches, bugs and bugger-all on release. The repeating over and over of those same things while seeming to completely ignore or ,at times, misrepresent what the game is are the things that get lost in the static. An example of something that to me is a gigantic step forward in the CM franchise is the ability to share ammo and buddy aid. I just finished getting my butt handed to me in an Afghan battle but in it I had a grenade launcher team that had fired all its ammo (if you have never used one of those things in a battle you gotta try it...I forget if they are in the demo scenarios...They are so much fun) and another team that was wiped out except for one man. I was able to get my healthy team to the banged up one and replenish the good order team and get them back in action in time enough for Yossarian to embarrass me with superior tactics. But rather than discuss things like that I see people complain about hand to hand combat for the 100th time. As if it is common for modern soldiers to burst into a building and start duking it out rather than mow them down. Really, which has more importance in a tactical level game? But which gets the most press in these parts? And when I mention things like that the response is often that I am a cheerleader or something as if saying things that are good about the game is a bad thing to do here and people who do are put in a virtual box and their opinions are no longer considered to be of the same value as people who voice the same complaints about the same things over and over again.

British Tommy

Reaction score
Country
ll
You know what Elvis? I think half the problem is the lack of news or anything coming out of Battlefront (I'm talking about CMN here, SF does not interest me) so posters are picking up on the small bits, the type of things you normally overlook. Let's face it, there's bugger all to talk about really at the moment. It's only when Zonso gets bored and stirs the pot here that it wakes up.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think so (bolded bit).

This untrue on several levels.
I read the BFC forums daily and there are times that one or two posts a day showed up while we were having heated discussions. I even mentioned it several times about the incredibly low traffic on the CMSF board.

NATO and some Normandy has brought a little traffic back, but its already slowing down again.

edit:

For giggles, I went and looked at May through July and there were some real dead periods of a post a day on the CMSF forums. In fact, I think CMBB might have actually beaten CMSF in post counts on a couple days.

Its not like its a ball of fire here, but it was in the severe doldrums at CMSF headquarters. And I know there were some worse periods towards the end of the second year of CMSF.

Last edited:

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You know what Elvis? I think half the problem is the lack of news or anything coming out of Battlefront (I'm talking about CMN here, SF does not interest me) so posters are picking up on the small bits, the type of things you normally overlook. Let's face it, there's bugger all to talk about really at the moment. It's only when Zonso gets bored and stirs the pot here that it wakes up.
I agree that the lack of more depth in conversations can be partly attributed to not as much interest in modern and such little information released on CMN. Also, along those lines, most posters here aren't playing the game so most of what they have to say are reflections of what others here have said and/or general impressions.

junk2drive

Reaction score
Back in the CMAK/BB heyday how much forum traffic was peng crap and fighting amongst rivet counters? The regular lurkers were there looking for mods and scenarios.

CMBO had the perfect storm of breaking away from top down 2d, IGOUGO, with 3D and WEGO, ugly graphics that begged to be modded, the internet, forums and websites were still new and so many people created a fansite just because they could.

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Lawks, something interesting at the Blitz. Shows how the game has evolved though.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well the good thing for BFC is they got one more convert. Another good thing is CMSF is being talked about besides here and at BFC. Maybe the conversation will catch and hang around for a while.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That's a pretty heavy shot from one of the fanbois. Interesting where some of them are gravitating out to now that the BFC boards are less hospitable to their environment.

Good Hunting.

MR

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That praise in the blitz posting seems to be a little light on hard game review forensics.

Zonso

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
...But rather than discuss things like that I see people complain about hand to hand combat for the 100th time. As if it is common for modern soldiers to burst into a building and start duking it out rather than mow them down. Really, which has more importance in a tactical level game? But which gets the most press in these parts? And when I mention things like that the response is often that I am a cheerleader or something as if saying things that are good about the game is a bad thing to do here and people who do are put in a virtual box and their opinions are no longer considered to be of the same value as people who voice the same complaints about the same things over and over again.
Exactly, like living in the past is more rewarding for people somehow.

Zonso

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I agree that the lack of more depth in conversations can be partly attributed to not as much interest in modern and such little information released on CMN. Also, along those lines, most posters here aren't playing the game so most of what they have to say are reflections of what others here have said and/or general impressions.

True again about playing the game part. I think Modern discussion is far more limited than WWII in general and it's not just interest, but information readily available for the public. For WWII everyone is pretty much on equal ground, when it comes to Modern the interested military guy may be kind of hard to argue against in principle.

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But rather than discuss things like that I see people complain about hand to hand combat for the 100th time. As if it is common for modern soldiers to burst into a building and start duking it out rather than mow them down. Really, which has more importance in a tactical level game? But which gets the most press in these parts?
Maybe people who are more interested in WWII than FantaSyria are concerned about H2H and how it is modeled? Maybe?

-dale

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This 'principled' perspective debate on the game drives me insane. No where can anyone provide clear evidence that CMx2 is better than CMx1. They may have different features, different mechanics, different theatres and most importantly, have different effects on people's enjoyment of the game.

What really troubles me is the element of 'righteousness' that some posters directly and indirectly advocate... ******** statements like "it's better to live in the future than the past" are first poor cliche's at best, and second, illogical statements based on the fact that we all in some manner, live in the past, when playing wargames. I really detest this marketing element that enters into the conversation.

I also equally detest this "they were mean to me and downright arrogant" narrative.

What I do like is that we can calmly and rationally discuss the features that work, do not work and some that may be added or enhanced. Incidentally, where the problems occur is when any of the above three 'works' for one person and not for the other.

If you enjoy the game fine. I have no problem with that. But if you want to discuss the game specifically, or the differences between CMx1 and CMx2 in particular, then lay off this high minded "my view or opinion is better than yours".

Why? Because it isn't.

For those guys that are discussing features, quirks, improvements and setbacks on these boards, keep it all in perspective. And for once and for all, quit lionizing the freakin game.

Now I do appreciate the fact that some people have an association between the game and the fact that you view the actions, statements and general attitudes held by the developers or some of the key people invested in development (read betas) as pure buggery. I can respect that. But at some point in debate on features of the games, I think you are going to have to let go of this, as I think it may cloud your judgement.

And for those of you who are involved just for the drama, I can respect that too. I think that those who act from this perspective and those who react to it just need to quit sitting on the "overly serious" button. I think we've all been guilty of that, so I cast no evil glance at anyone in particular.

Lastly, if your only true quality is only that of generating baseless fanboi steam (one way or another) and casting aspersions, then it is a quality that is best put on a rocketsled to another forum inhabited by similar pedantic beasties.

Peace out.

Cheers!

Leto