Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
[hirr]Leto;1333006 said:
This 'principled' perspective debate on the game drives me insane. No where can anyone provide clear evidence that CMx2 is better than CMx1. They may have different features, different mechanics, different theatres and most importantly, have different effects on people's enjoyment of the game.

What really troubles me is the element of 'righteousness' that some posters directly and indirectly advocate... ******** statements like "it's better to live in the future than the past" are first poor cliche's at best, and second, illogical statements based on the fact that we all in some manner, live in the past, when playing wargames. I really detest this marketing element that enters into the conversation.

I also equally detest this "they were mean to me and downright arrogant" narrative.

What I do like is that we can calmly and rationally discuss the features that work, do not work and some that may be added or enhanced. Incidentally, where the problems occur is when any of the above three 'works' for one person and not for the other.

If you enjoy the game fine. I have no problem with that. But if you want to discuss the game specifically, or the differences between CMx1 and CMx2 in particular, then lay off this high minded "my view or opinion is better than yours".

Why? Because it isn't.

For those guys that are discussing features, quirks, improvements and setbacks on these boards, keep it all in perspective. And for once and for all, quit lionizing the freakin game.

Now I do appreciate the fact that some people have an association between the game and the fact that you view the actions, statements and general attitudes held by the developers or some of the key people invested in development (read betas) as pure buggery. I can respect that. But at some point in debate on features of the games, I think you are going to have to let go of this, as I think it may cloud your judgement.

And for those of you who are involved just for the drama, I can respect that too. I think that those who act from this perspective and those who react to it just need to quit sitting on the "overly serious" button. I think we've all been guilty of that, so I cast no evil glance at anyone in particular.

Lastly, if your only true quality is only that of generating baseless fanboi steam (one way or another) and casting aspersions, then it is a quality that is best put on a rocketsled to another forum inhabited by similar pedantic beasties.
Exactly.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[hirr]Leto;1333006 said:
This 'principled' perspective debate on the game drives me insane. No where can anyone provide clear evidence that CMx2 is better than CMx1. They may have different features, different mechanics, different theatres and most importantly, have different effects on people's enjoyment of the game.

What really troubles me is the element of 'righteousness' that some posters directly and indirectly advocate... ******** statements like "it's better to live in the future than the past" are first poor cliche's at best, and second, illogical statements based on the fact that we all in some manner, live in the past, when playing wargames. I really detest this marketing element that enters into the conversation.

I also equally detest this "they were mean to me and downright arrogant" narrative.

What I do like is that we can calmly and rationally discuss the features that work, do not work and some that may be added or enhanced. Incidentally, where the problems occur is when any of the above three 'works' for one person and not for the other.

If you enjoy the game fine. I have no problem with that. But if you want to discuss the game specifically, or the differences between CMx1 and CMx2 in particular, then lay off this high minded "my view or opinion is better than yours".

Why? Because it isn't.

For those guys that are discussing features, quirks, improvements and setbacks on these boards, keep it all in perspective. And for once and for all, quit lionizing the freakin game.

Now I do appreciate the fact that some people have an association between the game and the fact that you view the actions, statements and general attitudes held by the developers or some of the key people invested in development (read betas) as pure buggery. I can respect that. But at some point in debate on features of the games, I think you are going to have to let go of this, as I think it may cloud your judgement.

And for those of you who are involved just for the drama, I can respect that too. I think that those who act from this perspective and those who react to it just need to quit sitting on the "overly serious" button. I think we've all been guilty of that, so I cast no evil glance at anyone in particular.

Lastly, if your only true quality is only that of generating baseless fanboi steam (one way or another) and casting aspersions, then it is a quality that is best put on a rocketsled to another forum inhabited by similar pedantic beasties.

Peace out.

Cheers!

Leto
Couldn't agree more.

Zonso

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Such even-handed, lovely sentiments lately Leto, let's not forget we don't live in an ideal world. However, it does show you still care about CM and the community. Bravo!

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
lovely sentiments lately Leto, let's
That rocking bit of unintended alliteration aside, I've always had this view. Previous to now, I had too much enjoyed making fun of 'both sides' until I realized that perhaps I was also the problem. So I assess blame to myself moreso than anyone.

All I really am trying to advocate for here is for us to all try being a bit more constructive and "excellent" to each other. In the Stygian chaos that is the internet, I understand that personalities become emboldened and interent road rage can become the norm within a socio-spatial context with little to no consequences.

Debate, argue and criticize. Keep it above the belt. But realize that criticisms of the game cannot be expected on a company website that actively markets and needs to ensure that its products are the very best to make them alluring to potential customers. That is why criticism has migrated to this board: both constructive and not and somewhere in between. DO NOT FAULT THE PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD FOR MAKING CRITICISMS OF THE GAME HERE. Also, do not ascribe intentions or demonize them. Where else can they do it?

That some of the diehard CMx2 fans and players like to respond and post here, whether to deflect criticism or to actually contribute to the community, is a good thing... as long as it doesn't crumble into forwarding ascerbic agendas.

I've been too long on the soapbox heralding holiday spirits. Nuff said now I think.

Cheers!

Leto