Battlefront Reveals Course of CM x 2--Including WW II

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's the post from April 8, with spell check and some emphasis added:

Posted by Battlefront.com (Member # 42) on April 08, 2008 11:49 PM:

"The question many of you have been asking as of late is "where does Battelfront go from here?" now that v1.08 is out. Well, that's a valid question and I hope I can answer it to the satisfaction of most. But remember... we try to not to get too specific about low level changes because we do not wish to set up false expectations. Therefore, what follows is a more philosophical answer than a list of highly detailed descriptions of feature changes. First, an explanation of who makes Combat Mission...

Battlefront is 5 full time employees and a bunch of regular contractors. The primary force behind the games is Charles and myself (Steve, if you didn't already know). I do most of the design work and historical research while Charles does all of the coding. Charles has a significant amount of impact on the design elements since, obviously, he has to code them. Charles also has some great ideas of his own, of course, so at times he is the main brain behind a particular feature and I simply flesh it out. If Charles nixes something for coding reasons I usually manage to work around the problem areas so the feature can be included in some form.

Moon (our fearless President), KwazyDog (our lead pixel pusher), Madmatt (Battlefront's jack of all trades), and Rune (master of the monster scenarios ) handle a lot of things besides CM:SF, so although they have other responsibilities other than testing CM:SF night and day. Which is a good thing because someone has to do the other stuff!

For the day and night testing shifts we have a bunch of volunteer testers who were hand picked from this Forum. They are the ones that kick the tires and tell Charles that something needs more time in the oven You have no idea how much work they put into testing and therefore can't appreciate how much good they do for the game as a whole. Whatever faults people see in the game I can assure you that it isn't because of the testers are failing at their job.

Last, but not least, are the people posting on this Forum. Without public input none of the CM games would be what they are today. Overall the information we gather here is very valuable and worth having to sometimes dig for, even when it's buried under a pile of poo someone deposited It's not easy to handle a gaggle of highly opinionated people who aren't afraid to speak their minds (even when they've misplaced them), but that's an unavoidable part of an online discussion forum. Gotta take the good with the not-so-good. People can agree or disagree with how I handle this... I don't care. It works for us, therefore in the long run it works for everybody.

OK, with that out of the way, onto the outline...

Way back in 2003 we made a long range plan based around what is now called the CMx2 game engine. I can say, without any doubts, that things have gone according to plan and that we are overall pleased with the position we are in now. I know, I know... how can I say that after all the bugs and rancor that came about after its initial release? Well, easy... we take the long view and keep things in perspective. Of all the millions of things that could have gone wrong between 2003 and now, things have gone pretty much according to plan. Obviously things haven't gone perfectly, and we are no more happy about that than you guys are, however that's small potatoes compared to the things that could have gone wrong. Like what? Well, going out of business would have been a bit worse! [???!!!]

Our plan has been partially explained to you before, however in case you've missed it the next thing we will release is the Marines Module for CM:SF. More modules for CM:SF will follow in parallel with development of our next major release (aka "Title"); WW2 Western Front. The initial release will be situated in Normandy between US and German forces with subsequent addons (aka "Modules") introducing additional forces, weapons, vehicles, and some other things. The first Module for the WW2 Western Front game will be focused primarily on Commonwealth Forces, though with German and some American additions as well. We do not have release dates to announce for either the Marines Module or the initial WW2 release, however I can say that the Marines Module is very far along and the WW2 stuff has already been started on. This is the beauty of the CMx2 system... we can do parallel work and still get things done faster than we could for one topic using the CMx1 system.

What we are doing now, behind the scenes, is planning out the specific features that will find their way into the first WW2 title. Will these features make every single one of you reading this happy? Certainly not... that's not possible to do. But will these features make some of you who are currently a sitting on the fence or sitting on the sidelines happy enough to enjoy our next Title? Based on the months of feedback here, definitely. Others will continue to sit there with their arms crossed and tongues sticking out at us. Oh well, can't please everybody

For the most part our plans for the future of CMx2 have not changed since CM:SF was released. However, the emphasis on certain elements has been changed based on user feedback. Briefly, the short term priorities for us are:

Introduce a new Quick Battle system - It's been clear to us for quite some time that the existing system has some serious shortcomings in the eyes of many players. Therefore, a new QB system is a very high priority for the next major release. The primary improvements are some form of unit Cherry Picking system and semi-randomly generated maps. Think of this as a bridge between the good features of both CMx1 and CMx2 QB systems.

Features necessary for simulating WW2 ETO - Many of the things people have felt are missing in CM:SF aren't supposed to be there or aren't really all that relevant or necessary to the Syrian setting. Obviously moving to France means that some of these things need to be included. Besides the obvious stuff (temperate terrain/weather and WW2 units) major things to expect are water, bridges, AT guns, on map mortars, infantry riding on tanks, expanded defensive works, and other stuff like that. Obviously TacAI goes right along with this since these things all require new TacAI and/or improved existing TacAI. (note that TacAI is a long term "work in progress" and will never, ever be considered "done").

Features not necessary for simulating WW2 ETO - Some of the things that make contemporary warfare what it is are things which WW2 fans find "not fun". This has caused some to be unhappy with the Syrian setting simply because it isn't WW2, regardless of all other factors. Things like the extremely high lethality, asymmetric forces, the lack of "familiar" equipment, the whiz-bang technological stuff, etc. It should be obvious that this stuff will not come along for the WW2 titles, however it appears that this can get forgotten at times. Consider this a reminder

Some additional MultiPlayer options - I don't want to over commit us here, but I will say that it is likely that there will be a form of TCP/IP WeGo for the Normandy game. Will it be exactly what WeGoers want? Probably not due to some technical issues and the time we'd need to make sure we could work around them. Therefore we have come up with what we feel is a viable compromise system that should give WeGoers most of what they want. More on that in a couple of months when we get into the coding.

Graphics improvements - We're as unhappy as some of you are about the inconsistent performance of CM:SF's graphics on various systems. As some of you know, we've been frustrated from the start by videocards and their drivers not doing what they should. We have some ideas on how to work around the problems better and also fix some of the oddities that some of you have experienced more than others. Time is limited so some of the graphics glitches people have noted have not been high up on our fix list so far. Besides straight graphics stuff I'm also thinking about some of the WeGo playback issues.

Some changes to the UI - Any game developer will tell you that designing a UI that makes a majority of gamers at least moderately happy is a tough task. Many have forgotten that CMx1's UI was generally frowned upon when first experienced. Complaints generally only died down when people got used to how it worked. CMx2's UI has also taken a lot of punches and, with some patched improvements, people have also gotten used to it. However, it is my sense that there is more resignation than acceptance than we would like when compared to CMx1. So it's not quite back to the drawing board, but we are are exploring ways to improve what we have.

There are lots of finer points than this, so please don't think that if you don't see something mentioned on this list that we aren't going to address it in the short term. I can't speak much to the details yet at this point anyway, so this is more or less a heads up about the general direction rather a written in stone list of specific features and what we intend on doing with them.

In conclusion... we know why we are here, we are happy with the overall position we're in, and we're looking forward to continuing on for years to come. Having faith is an option, but a total lack of faith is unhealthy. People need to figure this out for themselves because all we can do is keep blazing the trail that we are on. There is no turning back even if we wanted to. And we don't want to

Now, a special message for those of you who have so far "rejected" the new game system for one or another reason. I know for sure a lot of you will be quite happy with the WW2 game when it comes out, if for no other reason than it is WW2 and not modern Syria. Others will be less sure, but at least find it more enjoyable than CM:SF. However, it is certain that some of you will find nothing good in what I've said here and continue to be extremely hostile towards CMx2 just like many Steel Panthers and Close Combat guys were towards CMx1. I'm sure the latter group of people have something better to do with their time, so my hope is that they realize this so everybody can be a lot happier for it. [Steve's charm offensive continues...]
Thanks,

Steve

P.S. Support for CM:SF has not ended. It continues in parallel with Marines and WW2 development as it has for the last 2 months already."

Link:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=004118;p=0

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Steve is a very interesting figure ... reminding me of another guy I knew at another forum :) ...

But overall, the messages are quite positive ---- to my eyes :) I am waiting! :)

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Now, a special message for those of you who have so far "rejected" the new game system for one or another reason. I know for sure a lot of you will be quite happy with the WW2 game when it comes out, if for no other reason than it is WW2 and not modern Syria. Others will be less sure, but at least find it more enjoyable than CM:SF. However, it is certain that some of you will find nothing good in what I've said here and continue to be extremely hostile towards CMx2 just like many Steel Panthers and Close Combat guys were towards CMx1. I'm sure the latter group of people have something better to do with their time, so my hope is that they realize this so everybody can be a lot happier for it. [Steve's charm offensive continues...]
Doesn't it remind you of that scene in the Caine Mutiny where Humphrey Bogart as Captain Queeg sits all the officers down, with his shaking hands and rattling the steel balls in his hands, and says, in effect, "I know you think I'm worn out and too hard on everyone, but I'm not such a bad officer. You should like me. My dog likes me. You should like me because my dog likes me. Give me a chance. I solved the Cheese Incident in 1937."

I think Steve would like to demonize anyone who objects to the design of the new game. But it's also clear he's listening to those who object, since he keeps retrofitting CMX1 elements into the design. Space bar menu, point-purchase system for QBs, random maps, all the same multi-play features - or at last, he's promising to. The fans keep speaking. Or rather - their dollars do. ;)

As long as he's listening, he can dress it up with as much verbal diarrhea as he wants - the fans set the agenda with their money. He'd have you believe it is the other way around.

Steve is a very interesting figure ... reminding me of another guy I knew at another forum ...
Anything quotable you can share?

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's timing sounds like a plea: "Please don't leave us, see what we might be doing- maybe!"
PzC- K has them worried.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
It's timing sounds like a plea: "Please don't leave us, see what we might be doing- maybe!"
PzC- K has them worried.
It's all speculation at this point. In all honesty, PC-K is nothing for them to worry about. I don't mean that in a nasty way, I'm just saying that CM is no longer anything at all like Panzer Command, so they aren't direct competitors. CM is now competing with its first incarnation. They need to make sales, that is all there is to it. They need to get the Marines out the door and then get a WW II title under their belt. What Matrix does is probably irrelevant. Any real tactical wargamer is a niche gamer anyhow and will buy every game that comes down the pike, if it is good.

How many people here will own CMBB AND PC:K? Pretty much everyone. And if CMX2: Ostfront is good, they'll buy that too. Regardless of how good PC:K is. The only thing BFC needs to worry about is CMX2: Ostfront sucking. I don't think competition really enters into it in such a niche market. It would have been different had CMX2 been a simple redress of CMBB with better graphics, but its not.

Now, I think they are very much worried about CMX2: Ostfront sucking, whether they admit it or not, but that's another story. :)

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Id say that all that has happened with CMSF is like that of McBeth. And by that I mean a Tragedy

Last edited:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I still think the next CM game shouldda been on a hypothetical Cold War Scenario in Europe :(. I'm still waiting for a game that resembles the CM engine to come out for it... All it would need were 4 campaigns, 2 for the good guys and 2 for the bad guys and an excellent scenario editor and modding capabilities and they would be set for life...or at least me any ways:D
(Yea I'm in lala land but I can't help it when the Cold War and all the military mumbo-jumbo that went on, seems perfect for a game engine like that of CM).

Now, anybody know any games kinda like what I was describing? And not that World Conflict whatever games as my 4yr. old comp can't handle much about CMSF...hell it barely muscled the demo...the crappy one that is.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Bfront quote - However, it is certain that some of you will find nothing good in what I've said here and continue to be extremely hostile towards CMx2
----------------------------------------------------------

Yes, Queeg had the same trouble -

"All the officers were disloyal.
They were always fighting me.
If the crew wanted their
shirt-tails out, they'd let them.
Take the tow line ...
defective equipment.
But they began spreading wild
rumours about steaming in circles, -
nd then "Old Yellowstain". I was
to blame for Maryk's incompetence.
Maryk was the perfect officer,
but not Queeg.
But the strawberries,
that's where I had them.
I proved with geometric logic that a
duplicate key to the icebox existed.
I could have produced that key. They
were protecting some officer ...
Naturally, I can only cover
these things from memory.
If I've left anything out,
just ask me specific questions..."

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
At the end of the day, Steve is right about one thing - if he is serious about taking CM into the realm of real time, 1:1 simulation as opposed to squad-based, company-level game. If that is true, as I think it is, then Steve's suggestion that the old guard need to move on is apt - I'm just glad there are now other options.

And there really is no comparison then between the "new" CM and PC:K. They're practically two different genres - they both happen to be tactical, nominally squad based games. But I don't think the new CM counts as company-level, since in real time, at best you can handle a reinforced platoon in a real firefight against another human without using the pause feature. The new graphics and data streams are so intense you also have size issues.

Palantir

Member #86
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But I don't think the new CM counts as company-level, since in real time, at best you can handle a reinforced platoon in a real firefight against another human without using the pause feature.
And hence the problem, CM gamers play it because it's not RT: you can't run a company or battalion in RT at 1:1 unless you like click-fests. If you have to constantly use the pause button in a RT game to knowledgeably play it then for crying out loud it's not RT (it's Hesitate Time) or designed for the people who have to / need to pause it constantly to even play it.

I just won't play a RT game at this level (company / battalion) no matter how "good" people say it is.
And for 1:1 I’ll play Call of Duty or some such game specifically designed FOR 1:1.

And as for some people not finding anything good about CMx2, well BFC should just drop the charade and quit calling it "CM" so CM players won't object to it. Call your new game system, "Genuine Platoon Level Combat" or something but don't try to con the CM players into thinking that CMx2 is really an upgraded Combat Missions.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I'll repost this from another forum I go to with some modifications:

The Golden Age of Tactical Wargaming on the PC is Over

Look around. Board wargames are back in vogue, and miniatures are in resurgence. Axis & Allies, Flames of War, ASL, Panzer Grenadier. I think every board wargame grog got their hopes up in the 1980s with M-1 Tank Platoon, got bombarded with mediocre titles in the 1990s like Muzzle Velocity and M4 and Panzer Generals, finally got to the good stuff with Close Combat, Combat Mission and Steel Panthers...

...and all three franchises shot their wad.

Close Combat tried to go 3D - at least two times - and failed. Know what their latest release was? A rehash of the 2D material.

CM - we saw what happened there.

SP - three successful games, and then ended up as not one but two freeware releases.

Tactical wargaming on the PC is on the decline now, I think. Panzer Command might reverse that, but its always been a niche. Close Combat I think reached a broader audience than just your Squad Leader nuts - far broader than Steel Panthers or Combat Mission would have. I don't have figures, though. I doubt PC can do that. CMX2 with its Syrian subject matter shot itself in the foot - it does make the RTS move seem a little less cynical from that perspective.

The golden age of tactical computer gaming is over. People are going back to the simple stuff. MMP just put up a 10 scenario pack (with 3 mapboards) for ASL up for preorder. It hit 700 credit card orders in less than 3 days. For a game with a 500 page rulebook, that you play with little cardboard pieces, in a room with some other sweaty fat dude who wants to use your toilet and drop chips on your carpet.

If Panzer Command can start to pump out not just more units, but more of the features Erik has on his to-do list, and some of the "stuff" CM was too scared to try - amphibious assaults and parachute drops and all the stuff you don't really need but all gamers really kind of want because it looks cool - there might be a resurgence. CMX2 won't do it, neither will CM:C with its reliance on a 5 year old game to run it. Unless something new is on drawing boards out there we haven't heard about.

Last edited:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PC games in general are falling on the way side. Besides Best Buy, go into local EB Games or Gamestops and look at the PC game selections...they are horrible. And not to mention that they are releasing games with rediculous graphics (I know Im biased for my crappy machine haha), prolly due to the conflict with the Wii, 360, and PS3 and handhelds. But in general, I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy became the only place to really carry PC games in bulk.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
PC games in general are falling on the way side. Besides Best Buy, go into local EB Games or Gamestops and look at the PC game selections...they are horrible. And not to mention that they are releasing games with rediculous graphics (I know Im biased for my crappy machine haha), prolly due to the conflict with the Wii, 360, and PS3 and handhelds. But in general, I wouldn't be surprised if Best Buy became the only place to really carry PC games in bulk.
Given the availability of direct download options, I don't see that your point is particularly relevant.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Quote- Tactical wargaming on the PC is on the decline now, I think..
-----------------------------------------------------------

Who said that? I was wargaming in the 1970's with miniatures and boards but then I got a humble Spectrum computer in the early 80's and was instantly mesmerised forever by the flickering silver screen, and haven't had the least desire to touch a mini or board since, goodbye forever to fiddling with cardboard counters, lead figures and loads of charts and tables..;)
Computers allow us to get into an actual 3D battlefield environment, the best I've ever seen is PC:Kharkov and Winter Storm, both of which provide totally immersive experiences.
In fact, after playing WS for a few days I actually dreamt one night that I'd somehow gotten through the monitor screen and was on the actual battlefield almost like an out-of-body experience, so deep was the impression the game made on my subconscious..:)
And hey, that was on a small 17" CRT monitor with graphics turned low to help my weak vid card, so I can only imagine how much more my socks would have been blown off if i'd have been playing on a big bright LCD with a fast card and with graphics on maximum..:)

Nemesis Lead

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I won't be buying this. CMX2 gives you a little more in some nearly meaningless areas, but you lose far more going from CMX1 to CMX2 (like doing real QBs). CMX1 is better--much better.

I am still bitter about being burned buying CMSF. Love all his talk about valued customer input on the forums. Their ears were tightly shut during CMSF and now they are paying the price.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Quote- Tactical wargaming on the PC is on the decline now, I think..
-----------------------------------------------------------
Who said that? I was wargaming in the 1970's with miniatures and boards but then I got a humble Spectrum computer in the early 80's and was instantly mesmerised forever by the flickering silver screen, and haven't had the least desire to touch a mini or board since, goodbye forever to fiddling with cardboard counters, lead figures and loads of charts and tables..;)
Computers allow us to get into an actual 3D battlefield environment, the best I've ever seen is PC:Kharkov and Winter Storm, both of which provide totally immersive experiences.
In fact, after playing WS for a few days I actually dreamt one night that I'd somehow gotten through the monitor screen and was on the actual battlefield almost like an out-of-body experience, so deep was the impression the game made on my subconscious..:)
And hey, that was on a small 17" CRT monitor with graphics turned low to help my weak vid card, so I can only imagine how much more my socks would have been blown off if i'd have been playing on a big bright LCD with a fast card and with graphics on maximum..:)
You're talking from a purely visceral standpoint. Apply your intellect to the problem and tell me I'm wrong. All three of the main contenders have shot their bolt. They're done. Close Combat, Steel Panthers, and Combat Mission have all peaked as far as Second World War sales go. Panzer Command is all that is left. And you were whining just yesterday that you can't find any of the units on the map. It's either/or - I don't think anyone cares how much Mick is capable of fantasizing he's really there or not. Personally, I wouldn't want to come within 100 miles of a real battle where men were being killed and dismembered. The intellectual challenge is quite enough for me, thanks.

In the meantime, board games are in the ascendancy again. They're even converting them to the PC now - LockNLoad: Heroes of Stalingrad comes to mind. Miniatures are on the rise again. Entry level board games like ASL Starter Kit and Combat Commander.

Incidentally, PC Tank sims came and went, too. Never did have a decent Second World War tank sim. Why?

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I don't think anyone cares how much Mick is capable of fantasizing he's really there or not. Personally, I wouldn't want to come within 100 miles of a real battle where men were being killed and dismembered
No wargamer worth his salt could resist entering a 3D battlefield, here's a shot of mine from Winter Storm and if this doesn't grab you, nothing will..;)

A group of T-34's knock out 2x 50mm ATG emplacements and continue advancing to secure the bridge before the German panzer reserve arrives in force..

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
No wargamer worth his salt could resist entering a 3D battlefield, here's a shot of mine from Winter Storm and if this doesn't grab you, nothing will..;)

A group of T-34's knock out 2x 50mm ATG emplacements and continue advancing to secure the bridge before the German panzer reserve arrives in force..
What does this have to do with the topic? We're discussing PC tactical wargaming being in decline. I have high hopes for Panzer Command, but it doesn't change the fact that it is the only game in town right now, and that board gaming and miniatures are making a comeback. Not to mention hybrids like LockNLoad, and VASSAL-based stuff, some of which is being sold for profit - can't remember the name of the man-to-man game which is being sold via VASSAL for example.

You yourself said just yesterday that you wished you could program a game on your own. If there was a ton of stuff to choose from, you wouldn't have had to say that.

In 2001, you had three fairly healthy communities surrounding three game systems that were still being nurtured and developed - CM, CC, and SP.

Today, SP is now freeware, CC is being recycled and the 3D version didn't go anywhere, and CM is off in lala-land with the campaign version stuck in development hell.

What part of "decline" doesn't that describe? :)

PC is coming up through the ashes - a good start. CM may make a resurgence if they can get Steve off his own forum and back into the 20th Century.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
..What does this have to do with the topic? We're discussing PC tactical wargaming being in decline..
The original poster said- "Tactical wargaming on the PC is on the decline now, I think."
Notice he said 'I think', so in other words its just his guess or hunch..;)
I'll take his word that sales figures might support him at the moment, but they fluctuate regularly and are no real indicator of long-term trends.
For example a record shop manager might say "Hmm we've only sold 100 Elvis CD's in the past six months, Elvis must be on the decline"
But the next 6 months might see 200 or more sold..:)
Same with games.
Right Elv?

"Uh-huh"..

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Lots of good points here.

I don't think BFC is scared of PzC. PzC is too close to what they consider too outdated game-wise. And PzC is successful because of factors BFC will never explore, in particular moddability. They might be scared of Matrix, though. Imagine that CMC had started based on PzC and under Matrix publishing, they whole interface mess would be a no-brainer.

BFC is scared because of lousy CMx2 sales, very simple. There's strong indication that it's bad, just for starters the time it took until it was bargin-binned in major stores.

Their forum turned from the detail-bashing of the CMBB days into half silence and half "this game is no fun", which is very dangerous. On top of that, the distributors they now work with really, really don't appreciate technical problems, in particular on high-end machines.

Personally I knew the party is over when they made our own Michael Dorosh a beta-tester and it still didn't shut him up :) (just making fun here, but there's some truth in it)