Battlefront Repository Launches

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hey its free! Until when? Being a natural cynic I suspect when all of the other sites shut down it may suddenly become 'pay per view'.

For now though, its not actually a bad idea. As long as its free they can say, come play our games and look, we provide all of this extra free content too. Which is a good thing in my opinion. I suppose CMMODs will pack up shop once all of the downloads have been transferred.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey its free! Until when? Being a natural cynic I suspect when all of the other sites shut down it may suddenly become 'pay per view'.

For now though, its not actually a bad idea. As long as its free they can say, come play our games and look, we provide all of this extra free content too. Which is a good thing in my opinion. I suppose CMMODs will pack up shop once all of the downloads have been transferred.
Ah yes, free.............so that now all the people support it and load it up.

After they have all the mods and scenarios on the site do they then have the right to do as they wish with them? My stuffs not going over there. I have it saved in more than one place already. I'm not worried about a site crashing and having it disappear.

Thanks BFC, but I'll take care of my own stuff...that happens for free too and I don't have to do any uploading to protect it either.

Good Hunting.

MR

[hirr]Leto

Varmint Croonie
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ah yes, free.............so that now all the people support it and load it up.

After they have all the mods and scenarios on the site do they then have the right to do as they wish with them? My stuffs not going over there. I have it saved in more than one place already. I'm not worried about a site crashing and having it disappear.

Thanks BFC, but I'll take care of my own stuff...that happens for free too and I don't have to do any uploading to protect it either.

Good Hunting.

MR
It's almost like being offered a nice refeshing glass of chocolate milk, only to find out to your horror that it is actually made from people.

SOYLENT CM MODS... THEY ARE MADE BY PEOPLE!!! PEEEEOOOPPLLLEEE!!

(and now they are ours.)

Cheers!

Leto

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Well, this is interesting:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=91844

I didn't realize the Repository had come down?

I take it this happened after the server trouble.

Moon the diplomat posted this in response to a frustrated customer still waiting for the return of the repository (and I presume a lack of response as to when the repository would again be available) who decided to start a joke thread about a hunger strike:

But you're right, the Repository is not a very high priority, either. It's not like it's the only place to swap mods out there. In fact, I seem to remember how many people were against the Repository in the first place, so it's interesting to see how it's being taken for granted now after being in existence for just over a year.
This is how he sells his own website????

Heh, the Reposity will be back online sooner or later. It's far from an "end of the world" scenario just because it's been down for a few weeks.
Only a few weeks.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
And then he adds this...

There will be no announcements by us when the Repository will be back up at all. It will simply be there at some point, and that's it.
:hmmm:

???

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, re-read the original concerns about them hosting it.

Also compare with my discussion with Martin about greylisting. It's OK they don't know this stuff but they think they do and refuse to go ask somebody who does.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Well, re-read the original concerns about them hosting it.
Oh, exactly. They were well founded in other words. Anyone who thought they were getting one-stop shopping (or a secure place to house their "stuff" for others to find) was bound to be disappointed, if that is the official response to a stoppage of service.

I mean, if you are faced with doubters, isn't your goal to prove them wrong, not prove them right?

I can see BFC's perspective, sort of, in that they don't get a lot of tangible up-front stuff out of it - no money changes hands, and they lose bandwidth. It's the intangibles you would think they might be interested in recovering - i.e. increased interest in the game, longer life on hard drives, more play time due to additional free content, etc. Making it available on your own website just makes sense. Seems foolish to post so cavalierly about it, but I don't own a software company so maybe I don't get it.

Last edited:

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was much simpler than BFC makes it. There were already a couple sites supporting BFC. Why not throw some support back their way and make it semi-official. The Scenario Depot comes to mind. I would think out sourcing this would have made much more sense.

btw, has anyone here used the repository? It sucks. The number of clicks and popups you have to ogo through just to download something was crazy.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was much simpler than BFC makes it. There were already a couple sites supporting BFC. Why not throw some support back their way and make it semi-official. The Scenario Depot comes to mind. I would think out sourcing this would have made much more sense.

btw, has anyone here used the repository? It sucks. The number of clicks and popups you have to ogo through just to download something was crazy.
I have used it a lot and although Ican't recall the popups you are dead on about there being too many clicks to get where ya want to go.

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is another self-inflicted and then exacerbated (in this case somewhat minor) wound--the second part courtesy of the BF CR/PR department. "They just don't get it." TM

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I used the repository and the GAJ site and I agree with all of you about the number of clicks needed to download something. Although, the repository turned out to be OK. I imagine something about it has broken and they either dont have the time, nor the experience to do something about it.

Sometimes I think you have to remember that BF isnt a huge multi national. I would rather they concentrated on the next Module if thats a choice they are having to make. Its not something to get too bothered about from my point of view.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I used the repository and the GAJ site and I agree with all of you about the number of clicks needed to download something. Although, the repository turned out to be OK. I imagine something about it has broken and they either dont have the time, nor the experience to do something about it.

Sometimes I think you have to remember that BF isnt a huge multi national. I would rather they concentrated on the next Module if thats a choice they are having to make. Its not something to get too bothered about from my point of view.
But isn't that exactly what I am saying. My post specifically says just let people who are doing it actually do it. When they first announced it we all bemoaned the fact they are doing it the way they did it. I kind of remember they were trying to turn it into a money making proposition.

My suggestion still stands...scrap it and instead support the community by putting links up.

KG_Jag

KG Vice Kommandir
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But isn't that exactly what I am saying. My post specifically says just let people who are doing it actually do it. When they first announced it we all bemoaned the fact they are doing it the way they did it. I kind of remember they were trying to turn it into a money making proposition.

My suggestion still stands...scrap it and instead support the community by putting links up.

Agreed--save your resources for game programming and efforts tied directly to your current prime products and those in the pipeline.

Maintain and improve the company's goodwill by encouraging third parties to promote your games and company name/products with virtually no company time invested--and zero company resources.

thewood

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If they had started the repository from the beginning as was suggested, that would have been fine. Instead, they wait 7 years and then make it as painful to use as possible. In fact, they recognize the community so little, Steve didn't even know who GreenAsJade was when he was posting after he started his site to support CMSF.

Elvis

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If they had started the repository from the beginning as was suggested, that would have been fine. Instead, they wait 7 years and then make it as painful to use as possible. In fact, they recognize the community so little, Steve didn't even know who GreenAsJade was when he was posting after he started his site to support CMSF.
I don't think I had heard of them before today. Or at least Ididn't recognize the site when I went to the link. Although I suppose it isn't my job to know these kinds of things.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada

I agree totally; wasn't really concerned about the repository itself by bumping this thread - just thought the "official" discussion at the corporate website was worthy of note. I guess I've never seen a company spokesman just up and say "we're not interested in fixing our website, and when we do get around to it, don't expect us to tell you when it's done." :hmmm:

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I agree totally; wasn't really concerned about the repository itself by bumping this thread - just thought the "official" discussion at the corporate website was worthy of note. I guess I've never seen a company spokesman just up and say "we're not interested in fixing our website, and when we do get around to it, don't expect us to tell you when it's done." :hmmm:
Yes, I have to agree with you on that point. The repository arrived with a lot of fan fare from BF but I read a quote saying something like, 'why are you moaning about not having it? people didnt want it in the first place', which is exactly what?

So they say, we gave you something for nothing and are taking it away, why are you annoyed? Even if they just said they were working on it but couldnt give a firm date. This is the bit I dont understand.

But as I said, I guess their priorities are elsewhere right now.