Battlefield: Vietnam Mod Development - Inquire within!

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got an okay from the Powers-that-be (and I don't mean Dr. S) on the board so here's the proposal: :D

Who would be interested in working on a mod for Battlefield: Vietnam?

I'm thinking a NATO vs. Warsaw Pact scenario, but I'm up for other suggestions.

To explain why I am proposing this:

I am a programmer (on a number of projects, right now I'm working on some academic software and some side work for United Admins developers of server tools for HL and a few other games), I can do a lot of the coding side of things, however, I have little or no artistic skill, so who knows 3d modelling?

Basically these are what we would need (and the people have to have a fair amount of free time and motivation):

1-2 more coders (I suggest going to www.planetbattlefield.com and looking around from there to see how .con editing and such works for BF:V).

2-4 Artists: I'm not real up on this side of things, but we'll need people able to make 3d Models along with the necessary skins and textures.

1-2 map designers. I've played around a bit with the map editor, it's actually pretty nice and shouldn't have much of a learning curve.

Eventually some sound people would be useful but what I'm figuring is if we can develop a good start, we can easily get more people to sign on.

And, of course, a couple of consultants would be welcome! ;)

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Originally posted by Overseer
I got an okay from the Powers-that-be (and I don't mean Dr. S) on the board so here's the proposal: :D
Eh? A power other than mine...?

Originally posted by Overseer
Who would be interested in working on a mod for Battlefield: Vietnam?

I'm thinking a NATO vs. Warsaw Pact scenario, but I'm up for other suggestions.

To explain why I am proposing this:

I am a programmer (on a number of projects, right now I'm working on some academic software and some side work for United Admins developers of server tools for HL and a few other games), I can do a lot of the coding side of things, however, I have little or no artistic skill, so who knows 3d modelling?

Basically these are what we would need (and the people have to have a fair amount of free time and motivation):

1-2 more coders (I suggest going to www.planetbattlefield.com and looking around from there to see how .con editing and such works for BF:V).

2-4 Artists: I'm not real up on this side of things, but we'll need people able to make 3d Models along with the necessary skins and textures.

Eventually some sound people would be useful but what I'm figuring is if we can develop a good start, we can easily get more people to sign on.

And, of course, a couple of consultants would be welcome! ;)
Afraid I can't help out (because I'm clueless with this sort of thing) but just wanted to wish you good luck!

Dr. S.

Gepard

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Might Be Able to Help

You know what might work well. If you took scenarios from The Third World War by John Hackett or Red Storm Rising by Tom Clancy. This would give you the narative and a basic story concept to go with your scenarios. From there, you could work up a spot on the real world map and the forces to make a nice balanced scenario.

Overseer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That'd be a fantastic idea, now I just need to find people to help, otherwise I go back to my plan of making a Doom 3 mod...