Battlefield Integrity

Priest

Reaction score
This is listed as an optional rule in the ASLRBv2, does anyone actually use this rule? Is this rule used enough that it would be worth my while to learn it?

Last edited:

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Priest said:
This is listed as an optional rule in the ASLRBv2, does anyone actually use this rule? Is this rule used enough that it would be worth my while to learn it?
Hey Priest,

I've been playing for 10+ years and have never heard of this rule. Do you mean "Battlefield Integrity"? I've played for 10+ years and have never run into anybody that uses it. I haven't even read that section of the rules. The comments seem to be that the required book keeping just does not justify any benefits that might come from it.

Jazz

Priest

Reaction score
Jazz said:
Hey Priest,

I've been playing for 10+ years and have never heard of this rule. Do you mean "Battlefield Integrity"? I've played for 10+ years and have never run into anybody that uses it. I haven't even read that section of the rules. The comments seem to be that the required book keeping just does not justify any benefits that might come from it.

Jazz
Yes your right I do mean "Battlefield Integrity", sorry about that guys. OK thanks Jazz I was wondering about that, it seemed like a lot of unecessary work to me as well.

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Priest said:
Yes your right I do mean "Battlefield Integrity", sorry about that guys. OK thanks Jazz I was wondering about that, it seemed like a lot of unecessary work to me as well.
Also, something to consider is that to my knowledge, no body these days playtest scenarios using Integrity. I would think that it would unbalance a whole bunch'o scenarios... Especially those scenarios (Polish vs German in '39 comes to mind) were the defender is gonna get spanked but can win by making the attacker take too much in the way of time and/or losses doing it.

Mastadon61

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BI not so bad.

I've tried it a few times. It's not that much work and it's kind of cool when your opponents ELR drops because he got so many guys killed. :)

However, I'd only learn it if you'd already figured out most of the other rules in the Tomb.

Don

hydrou

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Nope, I´m not using it either, don´t think it´s worth, keeping the record all the time, distracts you to some extent.

Priest

Reaction score
I guess that Jazz came up with the best reason, this rule could actually unbalance some scenarios and maybe make some scenarios unplayable.

ToxicShock

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have played using BI for the first decade and a bit. My impression was that I loved it after becoming used to the tallying. This was quickly put to rest after attending my first tourney. I was aghast that no one used it. Ever since, I have never used it and scoffed at the so called expert players who have never even bothered trying it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I've just edited this thread to move Jack's article into the main forum and to keep this thread on topic. You can now find it in under the topic "Analytic approach to improved play in ASL".

Now... back to Battlefield Integration... :)

Priest

Reaction score
Reepicheep said:
I've just edited this thread to move Jack's article into the main forum and to keep this thread on topic. You can now find it in under the topic "Analytic approach to improved play in ASL".

Reepicheep could you do me a favor and change the title of this thread to "Battlefield Integrity"? I wish I could have done it, but, I can't. Thanks.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Priest said:
Reepicheep could you do me a favor and change the title of this thread to "Battlefield Integrity"? I wish I could have done it, but, I can't. Thanks.
Done. Glad to be of service! :)

Priest

Reaction score
Thanks again Reepicheep, hopefully this will resolve some of the confusion concerning this thread. Man, I don't know what I was thinking when I first named this thread.

ToxicShock

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Reepicheep said:

Thanks.

I have always been curious to see how BI would have affected a tourney. My suspicion leads me to think that it would have had a major effect on the choice of scenarios picked/played. Probably would not have seen any scenario with an ELR <= 4 for both sides being used.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I assume you are talking about A16 (Rule Book V1), if this is the case then you, i certainly use it.
While it is extra work to keep track of the BPV (especially as reinforcements come onboard), and then continue to monitor its rise and fall, the effect it has on the game and the way it simulates a side suffering from an overall loss of morale as they take damage or dish it out makes it worth it.
It has an effect on the game that is satisfying or frustrating, but not as unbalancing as losing a Gun to Breakdown for instance. And it is one of the few things in the game that give a taste of how it would feel to face an enemy without adequate AT support or when aircraft are involved.
There are certain incidences when it is impractical to use, small scenarios or AFV heavy ones for example, but in the bigger scenarios and in CG's (when allowed) it has become an indispansible part of the game i play

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Toxic Shock
I have never played using the Battlefield Integrity. My biggest concern would be play balance. How does it affect play balance if at all? What specifically did you like about it?
Your old ASL buddy Jack.

ToxicShock

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Jack said:
My biggest concern would be play balance. How does it affect play balance if at all? What specifically did you like about it?
If you are concerned about play balance, then do not use BI. I suspect that in all the playtesting ever done that it has never been considered in play balance.

What I liked about BI was that it prevented the last turn suicide attacks. I also liked how it reflected a 'crumbling' defence effect that has been highlighted in historical accounts. For example, if an attack pounded a hole through a section of the frontline and the defender lost an ELR check, then the overall 'morale' of the defence dropped which enhanced the initiative of the attack.
In essence, it seemed to give a lot of flavour to both sides of the match.

Last edited:

Jack Dionne

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Makes sense to me. Thanks for the prompt response.
In your opinion would the Red Barricades Historical game been better served if the standard ELR gain/loss was droped for the rule book edition of Battlefield Integrety?