Battlefield 3

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yeah, this probably belongs in the BF2 forum, but this trailer deserves a watch by a wider audience. Check the headline story for today:

Fault Line

Amazing. :crosseye:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Wow. That's one lovely graphics engine and the attention to detail on the maps is very impressive. I like the feel of the animations as well. The soldiers move in a much more convincing manner than in earlier FPS military shooters.

Looking forward to this one.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And they can do it....

EA CEO: Battlefield 3 is “designed to take Call of Duty down”

EA is already preparing for the showdown between Battlefield 3 and the Call of Duty game that hasn’t even been announced yet. CEO John Riccitiello predicts that EA and Activision will easily spend more than $100 million each on marketing when both games are released later this year, and admits that Battlefield 3 is targeted at taking the shooter top spot from the Call of Duty series.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also, good interview here:

GeForce: Dice to Focus on PC

We spoke to Battlefield 3 Executive Producer Patrick Bach, a man who firmly believes consoles are holding PC gaming back. Like PC gaming enthusiast, he is also dismayed by the fact that many game developers merely add anti-aliasing options to the PC version of games before calling it a day. Eager to buck this trend, Bach talks about how DICE will create one of the most visually-breathtaking games you've ever seen by using the PC as Battlefield 3's lead development platform. In this interview, Bach also touches upon amazing achievements with their new Frostbite 2 engine and touches upon the possibility of one day achieving photorealistic graphics.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tank assault!

[video=youtube;f_wp1e4wFbw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_wp1e4wFbw&t=4m5s[/video]

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And a short but friggin awesome MP teaser:

[video=youtube;aPu7-LtLKmU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPu7-LtLKmU&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looked nice and all but it seemed like the player took out all the enemy tanks in that first engagement.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Watching the coverage of E3 on G4TV the last few days. There have been some AWESOME previews, but in my opinion none have surpassed the footage of gameplay in Battlefield 3. This looks to be a must have title on release. It will also include what looks to be a very strong single player element.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is painful to watch...but, then again, when isn't Jimmy Fallon painful to watch?

[video=youtube;JLCFQyqEoHA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLCFQyqEoHA[/video]

It's "rad". Condescend much? :rolleyes:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A suggestion from DICE designer Christina Coffin:

View attachment 33702

:D

I'm not sure about that, but what about a Battlefield: Los Angeles warfare pack? That would be frickin' awesome! And it's gonna happen. Give it a year or so. That movie was just too much fun for it not to inspire a bunch of game devs. Just give it a little time to percolate through their minds.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did anybody know about this or did it just sneak out the back door?

http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1181490p1.html

While Battlefield 3's environmental damage looks fantastic, it's actually a bit of a step backward from Battlefield: Bad Company 2. Damage is done to facades built onto structures, rather than the actual structures themselves - you're not going to be bringing buildings down in Battlefield 3 like you did in Bad Company 2 outside of scripted moments in singleplayer and possible hard-coded objectives in multiplayer. But even Battlefield: Bad Company 2's destruction was pre-cooked; you were blowing apart pieces designed to fall apart in a certain way.
Really? WTH! What made BC2 such a great game was the ability to bring down entire buildings. Why would DICE abandon one of the most popular features of their most recent game!?

All of a sudden, my interest in BF3 just dropped a bunch of points. :nada:

PS: I like how IGN tries to downplay this disappointment by pretending BC2's dynamic destruction was no big deal anyway. Yeah, right. :angry:

Dr Zaius

Chief Defender of the Faith
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
One of these days we'll get an integrated graphics/physics engine where every single object on the map is made of destructable materials that will react in a realistic way when damaged. It's coming.

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Did anybody know about this or did it just sneak out the back door?

http://pc.ign.com/articles/118/1181490p1.html

Really? WTH! What made BC2 such a great game was the ability to bring down entire buildings. Why would DICE abandon one of the most popular features of their most recent game!?

All of a sudden, my interest in BF3 just dropped a bunch of points. :nada:

PS: I like how IGN tries to downplay this disappointment by pretending BC2's dynamic destruction was no big deal anyway. Yeah, right. :angry:
Seems like a bad decision but do you think it has anything to do with the larger maps and all that humbug?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't see why. DICE had ported over two of the larger maps from BF2 and they had dynamic destruction.

I am really dumbfounded by this decision. BC2's dynamic destruction had moved the bar upwards in terms of what shooter fans expected from their games. DICE agreed with that sentiment, too! Now, out of the blue, DICE has basically said "Nah, it wasn't that big a deal after all."

Ironically, the new Red Orchestra is promising dynamic destruction of buildings. I don't know if it will be implemented as well as BC2, but as long as it is in there, I probably will be playing HoS much more than I will ever play BF3. In fact, as of right now, I only see myself picking up BF3 when it goes on sale. I mean, without dynamic destruction, it is just another shooter. Heck, I might as well just play Battlefield Online at this point! What's the difference?

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another interesting twist in the BF3 saga:

More on BF3 and Steam

A note on Develop has further indications that Battlefield 3 will not be released through Steam, as speculation mounts that DICE's military shooter sequel will not appear on Valve's download service. They quote a comment from a report from financial research firm Baird based on a meeting with GameStop: "The upcoming EA title Battlefield 3 will be sold as a download through GameStop, but not through Steam," Baird says GameStop executives told them. "Given Steam's dominance – and insistence on users downloading a Steam client application – publishers are likely to be receptive to a competitive alternative." Thanks Computer and Video Games.
If I read this right, Impulse, which was recently purchased by GameStop, will be carrying BF3. That is quite the coup for Stardock and GameStop. I wonder if D2D will be getting in on the action, too?

Looks like Brad Wardell's strategy is beginning to pay some dividends.

Also, there are some leaked alpha screenies here: http://bf3blog.com/2011/07/breaking-battlefield-3-alpha-screenshots-leaked/