Battle of the Garagiola River

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
These scenarios, "Battle of the Garagiola River" and "Battle of the Garagiola River Revisited" are authored by LtCol. John F. Schmitt, USMCR and are found in his book "Mastering Tactics", Copyright 1994 by Marine Corps Association. The scenarios were originally published in the October 1992 and December 1992 editions of Marine Corps Gazette respectively.
"Battle of the Garagiola River" - Map293
Situation: You are the commander of 3d Battalion, 4th Marines (reinforced) consisting of Companies I and K on assault amphibious vehicles (AAVs) near the Garagiola River, Company L on trucks at Androida, a light armored reconnaissance (LAR) company west of the river, and a tank company in reserve east of Androida. The TOW section is moving with Company L. For the last two weeks you have been facing superior enemy mechanized forces and have been forced to fall back from west to east, slowly wearing down the enemy while conserving your own combat power. You have learned that the enemy force opposing you is a mechanized regiment consisting of a tank battalion and two mechanized infantry battalions. Enemy tactics emphasize attacking aggressively upon contact and maintaining the momentum. The enemy will generally overrun resistance with tanks and prefers to dismount infantry only when necessary for close combat.
Poor visibility due to heavy fog lately has obscured the enemy situation since the last engagement, after which you lost contact with the enemy. While your battalion is halted along the river, your LAR company moves west to reestablish contact.
Steep banks make it unfeasible for your AAVs to swim the river. Your mission is to defeat any enemy forces in your zone or, failing that, at a minimum to delay and disrupt the enemy advance.
As your LAR company passes westward through Tragedia, it reports a sizable enemy mechanized force to the west approaching Checkpoint 68. The LAR commander does not believe that he has been detected by the enemy. Your Artillery Liaison Officer (ALO) assures you that he can get massed fire support. Your Air Officer (AO) says that he can get you a couple of F/A-18 sorties.
At this rate, enemy tanks will be approaching Tragedia or Garagiola in about 10-20 minutes. What are your orders Colonel?

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The above image is only part of the map, and of the first test, simple defensive set-up. There is a third bridge about 6km north of the Tragedia Bridge.

Here are the results of that first run-through.

Battle of Garagiola River
Test 1

0700-0705
US: LAR push through Tragedia, Kilo, and India companies establish defensive positions along Gargaiola River, vicinity Tragedia and Garagiola Bridges respectively. India continue into Garagiola Town.

OPFOR: 4th Tank Bn push forward toward Tragedia, with the Tragedia bridge and Androida as your final geographic objective. Gain contact and fix any enemy forces in zone. 1st and 2nd Mechanized Rifle Battalion follow 4th Tank Battalion, once contact established, move to flank the enemy and capture Androida. 3rd Mechanized battalion, follow in trace. You are the reserve.

0706-0710
US: LAR reports an enemy armored force of at least 2x Tank Company approaching from the vicinity of Checkpoint 68, approaching Tragedia. Calling in supporting arms.

OPFOR: Nothing to report

0711-0715
US: LAR decisively engaged, absorbed a T-72M Battalion frontal assault. Supporting fire was ineffectual [Force should/would have had a fire support plan ready, also LAR should be reinforced] Tragedia abandoned.

OPFOR: Enemy armored reconnaissance forces in Tragedia, approximately company strength. 4th Tank Battalion continues toward Tragedia Bridge. Lead company breaks down into platoon formations in order to cross bridge with limited delay. Artillery is called for on tree line to SE of bridge.

0716-0720
US: LAR has been defeated vic Tragedia. Kilo company engages enemy armored platoons attempting to cross at the Tragedia Bridge. Dragon team and SMAW section take their toll despite enemy artillery fire striking their unit trace. Kilo dragon team is eliminated by massed tank fire. US Tank company is ordered to attack toward Tragedia bridge. India company (Garagiola Town) establish defensive positions there.

OPFOR: Enemy infantry and ATGM’s in woods on far side of bridge. 2x mech battalions in support. 3rd Mech Battalion flanks toward Garagiola Bridge.

0721-0725
US: Enemy armor is across the Tragedia bridge and moving on Androida. Tank Company redirected further east, vic Androida. Enemy armor spearhead penetrates Androida, encounters Bn COC before being eliminated.

OPFOR: Tank forces have penetrated the US line. Lead units are in Androida, and are encountering support units.

0726-0730
US: The enemy is across the river with at least a battalion sized element. There is also contact vic Garagiola Town. The Tank Company counter attack failed, but only after chewing up most of two enemy tank companies on the “friendly” side of the river. Androida is in the hands of the enemy.

OPFOR: Androida has been liberated. We are currently pushing reinforcing mech units across the river. Enemy forces are being engaged vic Garagiola.

0730-0735
US: Androida is now firmly in the hands of the enemy. Must begin withdrawal from Garagiola Line. Am not sure how well that will go. India company now appears to be decisively engaged vic Garagiola.

Lessons:
1. Need to add LAR-AT Section to LAR Company.
2. Pre-planned artillery targets both sides.
3. More efficient employment of LAR in order to buy enough time to accomplish the flanking movement.
4. Less defense along the entirety of the woods SE of Tragedia Bridge.
5. Thoughts about more efficient platoon crossings of bridges and regenerating combat power once across the bridge. Pass echelons at this point?

Last edited:

BenPower

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I NEED THAT MAP!!! lol! No wonder it's in a TDG...

BTW you mentioned that was only a section; is the full map ready and you are just playtesting on that area? Or does the other area still need drawing/terrain coding?

Awesome work, keep it up!
Ben

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The map is full and complete. Have not offered it as I may change some coding based on playtest.

Thanks

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just fighting the LAR fight again against a 31 tank T-72M battalion hoping to generate the 20-30 minute game time delay expressed in the original scenario. The added LAV-AT generated some kills as well as an ICM strike short of the bridge, but the tank battalion was able to punch right through Tragedia and onto/across the bridge.

Could it be running the turns in 5min intervals?

Thoughts?

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Again playing the reconnaissance fight only, and giving US an opportunity to give orders each 1min turn provided for more effective indirect, and ATGM fire. I was able to provide 20mins of keeping OPFOR from securing Tragedia, severely attritting the OPFOR tank battalion at the expense of 6x LAV-25 and 2x LAV-AT, and 10 salvoes of ICM.

I'd like to get it up to 25-30, but will have to push the no-pen line to the river itself, bringing India 3/4 into the fight along the river line, while I see if I can effect the authors intent of swinging north, crossing at Cujo and then striking the enemy's left flankwest of Tragedia.

We'll see tomorrow. :cool:

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Battle of the Garagiola River – Test 2

1. OPFOR tanks changed to T-72M as in previous test.
2. Turns ran at one minute interval for the reconnaissance screen being conducted by the LAR Company
3. LAR Company reinforced with an LAV-AT section.
4. 2x TRP provided to OPFOR and LAR Company.
5. Entire Mechanized Rifle Regiment attacks toward Tragedia-Androida
6. LAR GUARDS and Co. I DEFENDS along the Garagiola between the Garagiola and Tragedia Bridges inclusive.
7. US tank company, Co. K, Co. L, TOW Section maneuver NNE in a flanking movement to attempt a single envelopment of the enemy main force.
8. Visibility 3500, Thermal 4000m.

0700-0705
US:
LAR reports 2x T-72M companies at and just forward of Check Point 68. Call for artillery and air support.

OPFOR:
Nothing Lead elements at Check Point 68.

0706-0710
US:
LAR engages lead enemy units with ATGM fire.
81mm Platoon is FIRECAP.
He/ICM mix impacts on enemy lead unit.
Enemy mechanized units passing Check Point 68.
One airstrike aborted by enemy SAM. Dash-2 was off target.
LAV-AT to displace when enemy forces reach range of 2000m. Enemy now at 2400m.
Maneuvering units are making slow headway, lead unit is still 2km from Cujo Bridge.
TOW Section is in position over watching Tragedia Bridge from a position 1km west of Androida.

OPFOR
Lead units taking heavy ATGM fire from Tragedia. Also severe artillery ICM strikes. Enemy airstrikes have been largely ineffective.
Get fires onto Tragedia!

0711-0720
US:
Enemy tanks open up on one of LAR’s flanking platoon, SW of Tragedia with heavy losses.
Co. I is completely deployed.
Lead elements of the flanking force are across the Cujo Bridge.
Lead enemy units pass through Tragedia, engaged by TOW overwatch.
ICM ammo runs out. No air currently available.
No significant enemy forces east of Tragedia.

OPFOR:
Lead units emerge from east side of Tragedia, meet heavy ATGM fire from the heights on the far side of the river.
Murderous ATGM fire from the heights.

0721-0725
US:
LAR engaging enemy follow on forces west of Tragedia.
Enemy mechanized forces about to enter Tragedia.

OPFOR:
The 3rd Tank Battalion has become combat ineffective.
1st Mechanized Battalion is about to enter Tragedia. Establish a defensive position there. Await 2nd Mech Battalion to pass through and capture the Tragedia Bridge.

0726-0735
US:
Running low on 155mm HE Quick. ICM is long gone.
The tank company has crossed the Cujo Bridge.
Lead elements of the flanking force are almost in position, will need time to consolidate before striking South.
LAR engages enemy mech company moving about in Tragedia. Comes of for the worse. Long-range TOW shots hammer that same mech company, but displaces after return missile fire. No losses reported.

OPFOR:
1st Mech Bn establishes a defensive position in Tragedia.
2nd Mech Bn reaches the western outskirts of Tragedia.
Enemy ATGM units on the heights are taking a terrible toll on anything moving in Tragedia. Ineffectual indirect fire attempts to suppress them.

0736-0745
US:
A Co K platoon makes its dismount point too close and is engaged and destroyed by an enemy mech company moving along the highway west of Tragedia.

OPFOR:
Enemy mechanized infantry on our left flank. Immediate Action: Contact Left!
2nd MRB reports to Regiment, strong enemy forces attacking from the north along 51 Eastings. We are decisively engaged in a hasty defense.
Regiment orders 2nd MRB to halt enemy attack, denying them the opportunity to interdict the east-west hardball road. 1st MRB is to hold Tragedia.
Regiment reports to division that enemy forces have made a strong defensive stand at the Garagiola River.
Stragglers from 1st Mechanized Battalion and 3rd Tank Battalion strung out along the MSR report that survivors indicate 2nd MRB has been defeated in the hills WNW of Tragedia.

End: Elements of one MRB effectively cut off in Tragedia.
Kilo Co essentially destroyed.
LAR Company essentially destroyed.
Tank company, 41% M60A1 losses (7 or 17).
30x T-72M and 35x BMP-2 destroyed.

Lessons Learned:
1. LAV-25 did not engage T-72M, even from flank/rear.
2. LAV-AT needs to displace prior to 2km range. Both vehicles were engaged and destroyed during their displacement.
3. A TOW Section in over watch ROCKS!
4. Engaging a moving target with indirect fire is often folly.
5. 1min turns for LAR led to better results (gave the maneuver element its 20-25min) in delaying the OPFOR lead elements, allowing for the maneuver element to displace and flank the enemy forces.
6. Maneuver element moved quickly but the counter attack was disjointed – there was a lull between the lead OPFOR elements being halted and the friendly attack from the north.
7. I realize that the author indicated the enemy was headstrong and would rush forward with tanks in the lead, but advancing along the low ground without any regard for their open left flank borders on underestimating your enemy.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is a map of the general area fought over today. It is a couple hexes north of yesterdays. The Cujo bridge crossing is on this one.

GCoyote

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Great Write-ups!

They read like log books from a HQ rather than a newspaper account of the battle; really captures the flavor of the action well.

I notice the OPFOR did not lead with a recon element - he was already attacking. The LAR is really a very light unit and I'm not sure they should have a Delaymission against a heavy-weight OPFOR w/o significant AT reinforcement. Formally a Guard mission IIRC requires only that enemy recon units be stopped and manuver units identified early enough for the supported blue force commander to react.

With the bulk of the Marine's AT assets consisting of Dragons and M60A1s, I'd say your results look pretty realistic.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gary,
Thanks for the comments, and your take on both OPFOR recon and the M60A1/Dragon combo.

The original scenario made no reference to a recon element, or any supporting arms. Will look to amend the T/O's.

I'm torn between standard 1min turns and my sometimes preferred 5min - not in the case of the recon screen/"Guard". Maybe I'll try 2-3min turns without changing any orders.

Once again, I appreciate the comments/constructive criticism - if you consider it criticism - I don't.

pmaidhof

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good stuff in here. Did you ever publish it in some form for the rest of us?
No, not yet. Back in the spring I got through two play tests. Tweaked the forces, and played around with the standard 1min turns, and 5min turns.

I suppose that I will wait with hope of a scenario editor in the commercial v5 so that it could be more complete as a true scenario vice a game save.

Right now it's limited to solo hot seat as there are too many variables that a second player, in my estimation, would have to follow to make it a good game - right now its a bit Marine-centric.